Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis  (Read 28123 times)

Theodoros

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2454
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:32 am »

You might consider just ordering a complete Universalis and using all your Monolith accessories on it. Long and W/A bellows, extra rails etc.
It may end up being close in price.
Rod
What do you mean by "complete Universalis" Rod? ...Do you mean just the camera or with the electronics along it? ...In my view if one has an "m" he may as well proceed into adding the accessories to it... I don't see how the S/H selling price of an "m" will cover more than the price that a Universalis pure body would... neither I can see why one would sell his (more capable) "m" to replace it for a "Universalis" (since the electronics are fully compatible). The impression I have is that the Universalis is for "new comers" ...not that it is "better" or more capable (in any way) than the "m"....
Logged

Rod.Klukas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 157
    • http://www.rodklukas.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

Usually the cost of putting together a camera that is most functional, using parts is more than buying it out right.
I agree that buying the function carriers and a frame will be less, but it may be approaching the cost of a complete Universalis body,
Say within 25%.  I can't say as I have no numbers at all on the parts yet.  The electronics will work on your Monolith just fine, so not an issue there.
It would be a separate camera ready to go in a lighter package. That's all.  I was not suggesting you sell the Monolith at all,
just augmenting it, so if switching between bodies you would not have the possible issue of forgetting something, etc.
That was all I meant.
Be well,
Rod
Logged
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Theodoros

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2454
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »

Usually the cost of putting together a camera that is most functional, using parts is more than buying it out right.
I agree that buying the function carriers and a frame will be less, but it may be approaching the cost of a complete Universalis body,
Say within 25%.  I can't say as I have no numbers at all on the parts yet.  The electronics will work on your Monolith just fine, so not an issue there.
It would be a separate camera ready to go in a lighter package. That's all.  I was not suggesting you sell the Monolith at all,
just augmenting it, so if switching between bodies you would not have the possible issue of forgetting something, etc.
That was all I meant.
Be well,
Rod
I believe that you should think of it from a new comer's POV... One may start the system using a Sony A7 as a back and then upgrade it to use his (future) MFDB while keeping his lenses... An "m" user, he only has to integrate some parts and only look to connect it with his MF system from a "shrink system" but "have more integration" POV... It's not the same... the "m" user should obviously keep his investment... It will also allow him to integrate the accessories with more sense and without any time pressure with respect to quality...
Logged

geesbert

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 642
    • http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:11 pm »

I received my Actus today. it works really nicely, very quick to set up. It may look like the bellows is a bit short, as I am struggling to focus a 120mm digitar closer thna 2m without the magnetic bellows popping off. I am not so shure about the advantage of a magnetic bellows. setup is super-quick, but it is quite easy to knock it off (fogging the film sensor ;D)

I'll keep playing around with it...
Logged
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Theodoros

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2454
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »

I received my Actus today. it works really nicely, very quick to set up. It may look like the bellows is a bit short, as I am struggling to focus a 120mm digitar closer thna 2m without the magnetic bellows popping off. I am not so shure about the advantage of a magnetic bellows. setup is super-quick, but it is quite easy to knock it off (fogging the film sensor ;D)

I'll keep playing around with it...
what is your choice for imaging sensor? Is it an A7?
Logged

geesbert

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 642
    • http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 03:37:32 pm »

currently I have a A7r mounted. I also bought the canon mount, but forgot my Canon in my Studio, so this one has to wait till after the weekend.

It is such a shame that Sony so much fucked up the tethering with live view for the A-series. How hard can it be?

for my commercial work I shoot nearly 100% tethered since the classic 1Ds like 10 years ago. and hardly ever look through the viewfinder since the 5dmark2 in 2008. Canon's eos capture is buggy, but gives a beautiful live view and allows to shoot without having to switch programs. the way Sony is handling tethering doesn't work in a commercial environment where sometimes 10 people have to look at the live view and the capture.
Logged
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1684
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »

I received my Actus today. it works really nicely, very quick to set up. It may look like the bellows is a bit short, as I am struggling to focus a 120mm digitar closer thna 2m without the magnetic bellows popping off. I am not so shure about the advantage of a magnetic bellows. setup is super-quick, but it is quite easy to knock it off (fogging the film sensor ;D)

I'll keep playing around with it...


Think of it as a leather coat, it's gong to relax and give over time. I found that even just after a week of some "bellows exercizes" that the magnetic hold was much more effective. Work it a bit, it will get better.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Logged
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

geesbert

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 642
    • http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »

so what is the longest lens you were comfortable with? Working distance around 1m.
Logged
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1684
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 06:10:04 pm »

so what is the longest lens you were comfortable with? Working distance around 1m.


I got to where I could extend the rear standard to the max, and with shift, without the bellows coming loose.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Logged
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

wallpaperviking

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 12:33:53 am »


Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere and I have missed it but am just wondering if the Universalis allows you to swap between a Sony A7RII and a 5x4 back "in the field"?

Or are these essentially separate cameras?

I still shoot 5x4 and not having to lug my 54 camera around would be amazing!

Thanks so much in advance..
Logged

Rod.Klukas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 157
    • http://www.rodklukas.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:06 am »

The Universalis system is modular.  So you can buy a camera, say the 4x5 camera, and add the conversion kit parts as needed for DSLR use or MF.
For the 4x5 to convert you will need a DSLR conv kit, which consists of a DSLR bellows, a bayonet mount, and a monobalfix Arca-Swiss L bracket. The DSLr bellows allows use of lenses up to about 120mm.  For close-ups, the longer accessory bellows-DSLR, of 50cm may be required, or a hard extension tube may also be used.  Very quick to change in the field.
Questions, ask me or your dealer.
Rod
Logged
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

wallpaperviking

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 05:27:59 am »

Hi Rod,
            Thanks so much for that information, much appreciated! 

To have the flexibility of both systems in the field would be amazing!

Any idea if Arca Swiss has any plans to develop something similar to Cambo's electronic lens plate for Canon lenses?

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-mini-view-camera/acb-ca/


If not, am wondering if there was anyway of machining a lens board to attach the Cambo electronic lens board?  From my understanding, it is independently battery operated in the way that it changes the aperture of Canon lenses..

Maybe not the most elegant solution but wonder if it would work....
Logged

Chris Barrett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 730
    • www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:02 am »

Any idea if Arca Swiss has any plans to develop something similar to Cambo's electronic lens plate for Canon lenses?

Actually, yes.  I had the opportunity to put it to use during our trip to Seoul a couple months ago.  I've been waiting for my final version and I actually just got a shipping notice from UPS that I have a package arriving from Arca Monday.  The Canon mount is the only thing I have on order  ;)

More soon.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:51:49 am by Chris Barrett »
Logged

wallpaperviking

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2016, 06:16:42 am »


Awesome!  Look forward to hearing some more about it! :D
Logged

Chris Barrett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 730
    • www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2016, 06:41:19 pm »

UPS just dropped off my production version of the board and I had to stop working on dinner to give it a quick go.  It's working perfectly!  I gotta tell you, having the new Canon 11-24 on a view camera, with movements greater than you'd expect is such a thing of beauty.  I'll work on some videos tomorrow.

-CB

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »

UPS just dropped off my production version of the board and I had to stop working on dinner to give it a quick go.  It's working perfectly!  I gotta tell you, having the new Canon 11-24 on a view camera, with movements greater than you'd expect is such a thing of beauty.  I'll work on some videos tomorrow.

-CB

Chris, do you think it would be possible to mount the Sony to an RM3Di and use it?  Or do you think the handle on the Sony would keep it from getting close enough? 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 730
    • www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 07:59:37 pm »

Yeah, the grip would totally be in the way.  I REALLY wish Sony had released the Rx1r2 with an interchangeable lens mount (a much better profile for this application).  I'm sure at some point there will be a high end rangefinder style body that works nicely with a view camera body.  As for the Tech cams?  Seems unlikely.

Joe, at PhotoExpo, last year, Arca was showing an Rm3d with the Canon mount on the front and a digiback mounted.  I think they're still working on an idea like that.  Did you see it at the booth?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:25:16 am by Chris Barrett »
Logged

wallpaperviking

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2016, 05:09:17 am »


Hi Chris,
             That looks so good, cannot wait to see some more!

Would love to know how much "usable" shift you can get from this lens?  Stefan Steib gives some measurements in the Sony Get Dpi Thread

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/54571-hcam-master-ts-11-24mm.html

but would love to hear it from a working architectural photographer..  He also talks about needing to remove the rear lightrap and the filter hood for this lens to get maximum shift out of it..

Thanks in advance!



Logged

Chris Barrett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 730
    • www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2016, 12:09:02 pm »

Pics attached!  I haven't put the 11-24 through it's paces yet and I think I'd rather live with less shift than removing the hood and rear shroud.  it may very well be replacing at least my 17 TS-e if not the 24 too.









ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »

Enjoy!

BR Erik


Pics attached!  I haven't put the 11-24 through it's paces yet and I think I'd rather live with less shift than removing the hood and rear shroud.  it may very well be replacing at least my 17 TS-e if not the 24 too.
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up