Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumix GX7 -why isn't it popular?  (Read 8975 times)

David S

Lumix GX7 -why isn't it popular?
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

I have a GX 7 and like using it and like it in use over the Olympus OMD E1. Am I nuts or am I missing something?
I find the GX 7 has a smaller focus area and hence I get more "in Focus" shots when birding  (small songbirds in trees, not flying) and it is only just a bit larger (with the 12-32mm lens) than the Lumix LX-100. (130 x 73 x 69) vs 115 x 66 x 55)

Nothing over 13 x 19.

Don't yell at me but I would be interested to hear what others think.

Dave S

donbga

Re: Lumix GX7 -why isn't it popular?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »

I have a GX 7 and like using it and like it in use over the Olympus OMD E1. Am I nuts or am I missing something?
I find the GX 7 has a smaller focus area and hence I get more "in Focus" shots when birding  (small songbirds in trees, not flying) and it is only just a bit larger (with the 12-32mm lens) than the Lumix LX-100. (130 x 73 x 69) vs 115 x 66 x 55)

Nothing over 13 x 19.

Don't yell at me but I would be interested to hear what others think.

Dave S

I don't own one but I love the camera since I've borrowed one a couple of times. Just purchased the E-M1 and the GX7 is next on my list.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

My impression is that the Oly E-M1 took away lots of potential GX7 sales. Personally I prefer the GX7's shape and EVF placement, and I love the silent shutter option…but then I'm a rangefinder guy. That said, the E-M1's solid feel and superior (IMO) button & dial placement have made it my #1 m43 camera.

-Dave-

scooby70

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »

I think that people think Olympus are sexier.

leuallen

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:20 pm »

I have Em1, Em5, Gh3 and GX7. The GX7 sees lots of action when I want a smaller camera, which is often. The Em1 has the grip and usually the 4/3 50-200 so is considerably larger and heaver. Panasonic generally has much better thought out focusing than Oly. Take back button focus. On the Panasonic, press the button, focuses, target turns green, and shoot. Stays with this focus until you press the button again. Press the button again the target turns neutral color and you can focus with the shutter OR press again for back button. So it is very quick to switch focus methods. Not so with Oly, very complex set up to achieve close to the same functionality. More buttons in action and more presses required. Also, you can move the focus point with your eye at the EVF by dragging it with your thumb. This can be a draw back as you often move it by mistake but it is easy to recover after you get use to it.

Larry

TSJ1927

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »

I got one of these little jewels 4 mos. ago.  I have the GF1 & G5 also.  Had but sold the G3 to a friend.  I m so impressed with the GX7.  I made several 22" prints and I think I can go 24" without any problems.  Attached is the GX7 image I enlarged to 22" .  I always use RAW with all the Lumix cameras.

http://www.pbase.com/tojo123/image/157092101  

spidermike

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 04:14:43 am »

I think the GX7 thing goes way back to the start of MFT.
When the E-M5 was released it was a real game-changer and was so far ahead of the rest of the field that even now it has not really been beaten to any significant effect - even the E-M1 image quality is barely better and (for me, anyway) the real improvement in functionality has been the development of their AF. But for a coupel of years Panasonic had no real answer to the E-M5 it built up an almost zealous cult following. Panasonic's true response came with the GH3 but that was seen as a videographers camera (especially with its larger size) with E-M5 being a 'stills camera' - so the E-M 5 kept its pre-eminence.

I think the GX7 would have done much better if it was not for the fact that the E-M1 was released soon after it and fded off the kudos of the E-M5. Add to this that for all its merits, I guess the GX7 looks less like a 'proper camera' so at some emotional level has a 'quirkiness' that reduces mass market appeal. But those that have the GX7 love it (I do!).  

FWIW I have the E-M5, GX1 and GX7 so am pretty much brand agnostic, though the thing that I really like about the E-M5 is the superb in-body stabilisation and if the Pnanasonic range can match that I could well become a Panasonic man.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:17:23 am by spidermike »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:18:17 am »

About 4 years ago I had a GF1 with 20mm pancake as a go anywhere camera, very nice.

Today I have a m43 system based on a couple of EM1's, just because the camera is small and has  very good ergonomics for me. No doubt something like a GX7 with a small lens is a great kit. The problem is, at least in my country (Portugal), there is hardly any shop that has Panasonic cameras and lenses... The best photo shop in Lisbon, that caters for professionals and a full supply of Canon, Nikon, Leica, Sony, and Olympus, stopped selling Panasonic, Ricoh, and other smaller brands. Sign of the times, they now are strongly pushing Samsung.

I still think that Panasonic makes fantastic cameras and lenses, I have a Leica 25mm lens, but I had to buy that from abroad... I was looking into buying a 12-35 lens for travel, can not find it anywhere.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:38 am »

If you are using the camera that suits you best and not blindly following the crowd, more credit to you!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:31 am »

I have and still use a GX-1 from time to time. Combined with the 20mm pancake it's a great walk around kit..Raw is a must the jpgs are smeared beyond usable.

Peter

AFairley

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:38 am »

I tried the 7 since I really like the rangefinder style form factor (hence my current Fuji e-X2) but when I put it head to head with my Oly E-M5 (at the time Oly's top body) it produced noticeably softer images on 17x22 prints than the Oly under controlled conditions, with PP from RAW to get the best result for each camera, so I returned it.  I was surprised by the result, only thing I could think of was sensor/AA filter difference, but it was there.  Pity, since I really liked shooting with the camera.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:48:36 pm by AFairley »

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »

I find that my GX7 complements my Nikon D810 perfectly. Horses for courses.

But to answer the general question you ask - I was not aware that the GX7 was not popular. You see plenty of them about. But the main producers of M4/3 cameras are Olympus and Panasonic. Olympus is known primarily as a respected manufacturer of cameras. Panasonic is known primarily as a producer of cheapo consumer electronics goods. Perhaps, therein, lies the tale.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

stamper

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:59 am »

I own both the EM5 and the GX7 and I find images from the EM5 sharper. The GX7 has imo the better menu system and handling. The on off switch on the EM5 is at the bottom right hand which imo is odd. I like going out with both with a zoom on one and a pancake lens on the other. They complement each other.  :)

Osprey

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:46:16 am »

The GX-7 has been very expensive for what it appears to offer, IMO.  Didn't it start out pushing $900?
Pages: [1]   Go Up