Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8400 gamut  (Read 25177 times)

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
Re: ipf8400 gamut
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »

Many thanks Andrew ... I'll have a read of the paper.

Cheers

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »

Maybe your friend Thomas Knoll can get things moving in that direction :).

Thomas made a specific decision to NOT use Lab and chose PP RGB instead.

He knew about Beta RGB...back then everybody and their brother was producing their own RGB working spaces including Bruce Fraser (Bruce RGB), Don Hutchinson (Don RGB & Best RGB), Joe Holmes (Ekta RGB) as well as Lindbloom's Beta RGB.

Guess what? Thomas chose PP RGB. And, since it's the basis of ACR/LR's color rendering, you're gonna be using PP RGB regardless of what you choose to output.

Personally, I choose to keep my images in the color space they were processed in and not make a side trip to other color spaces until I have a known destination...the less color transforms, the better ya know?

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:45 pm »

Thomas made a specific decision to NOT use Lab and chose PP RGB instead.

He knew about Beta RGB...back then everybody and their brother was producing their own RGB working spaces including Bruce Fraser (Bruce RGB), Don Hutchinson (Don RGB & Best RGB), Joe Holmes (Ekta RGB) as well as Lindbloom's Beta RGB.

Guess what? Thomas chose PP RGB. And, since it's the basis of ACR/LR's color rendering, you're gonna be using PP RGB regardless of what you choose to output.

Personally, I choose to keep my images in the color space they were processed in and not make a side trip to other color spaces until I have a known destination...the less color transforms, the better ya know?

Sure, whatever rocks your boat.  In my case I only process an image when I know the destination, so I don't need to worry about what-ifs. 

As for LR and ppRGB, as I said it makes sense to have chosen a very large working space because it is impossible for the raw engine to know all the possible images that will be processed and how wide the sum total of all the gamuts will be: so it has to cater for very wide.  I suppose Adobe could have made LR so that it automatically picked the best working space based on the image gamut ... but this would have made the coding much more difficult and would no doubt have confused people.  At any rate, I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any quality hit in opening an image from Lightroom to Photoshop in sRGB, say, providing the image gamut is smaller than sRGB (if there is then Adobe needs to fix it, because there should not be: it should be a straight raw -> sRGB conversion (with the parametric adjustments applied).

I also think that the decision to go to ppRGB rather than Lab had probably more to do with the fact that we have gotten used to working in RGB and because most of the tools (like Photoshop) are really tuned around RGB rather than Lab.  Which is a pity in many ways because Lab is a very intuitive working space once you get the hang of it, and one that matches our visual system far better than RGB (just think of how easy it is to adjust the color balance of an image using the LR Temperature and Tint sliders (nothing more than Lab really).

Robert
Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:16 pm »

I also think that the decision to go to ppRGB rather than Lab had probably more to do with the fact that we have gotten used to working in RGB and because most of the tools (like Photoshop) are really tuned around RGB rather than Lab.  Which is a pity in many ways because Lab is a very intuitive working space once you get the hang of it, and one that matches our visual system far better than RGB (just think of how easy it is to adjust the color balance of an image using the LR Temperature and Tint sliders (nothing more than Lab really).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the reason why he chose not to use Lab is some of the problems Lab can cause with certain colors and perceptual uniformity issues. Also, Lab  wouldn't be as useful for dealing with issues such as camera color to RGB (CIE XYZ>PP RGB works very well).

Also, correcting white balance is nothing like color corrections in Lab...not sure where you got that idea...read this: Color Temperature. Correcting for white balance is NOT like the ab channels of Lab. The white balance in ACR/LR is actually rather brilliant using a dual illuminate DNG profile. Course, Thomas is nothing if not brilliant. Remember, he started this whole revolution when he created Photoshop.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2014, 01:17:13 am »

It fixes an incorrect mapping of source to destination black IF the profile isn't doing this properly.

Hi Andrew, it was never in the profile's business to map the source black to destination black properly for the colorimetric intent. It is not about the profile doing it properly or not, neither is it about poorly made profiles. Quoted from page three of Adobe's published document of BPC:

Although ICC profiles specify how to convert the lightest level of white from the source device to the destination device, the profiles do not specify how black should be converted. The user observes the effect of this missing functionality in ICC profiles when a detailed black or dark space in an image is transformed into an undifferentiated black or dark space in the converted image. The detail in dark regions (called the shadow section) of the image can be lost in standard color conversion.

Unless one is interested in getting blocked up densities from your measured paper black (anywhere from low dmax matte papers exhibiting L*16 to some of the highest dmax glossy paper exhibiting L*2) to RGB 0,0,0 or L*0, black point compensation should be used to scale the density values to maintain separation down to output black when converting to a printer profile using the Relative Colorimetric intent.

So - BPC does not just map source black to destination black, it also moves all density values so luminosity of all colors graduate smoothly from white to black.

Because of this, BPC does not only lighten the dark areas - sometimes it may darken certain regions, to ensure the luminosity transitions are smooth.

BPC, just like gamut mapping, is a dumb operation. The maths published in Adobe's article is available for all to see. If the perceptual tables are poorly mapped, it sometimes causes a shift even for the perceptual rendering intent. For some reason Adobe did not implement the shift to only affect the luminosity of colors, without shifting them in hue or chroma. In that respect, the perceptual rendering intent may be a better bet.

Robert, you might find Norman's webpage on BPC interesting too. Note the emphasis. He says:

BPC is always on for perceptual rendering intent, i.e., the checkbox setting has no effect.
BPC can be turned on or off for (Relative) Colorimetric and Saturation rendering intents.
BPC is always off for Absolute (Colorimetric) rendering intent. Unresolved issue: I've been told that BPC should work with Colorimetric intents, i.e., Relative and Absolute. Perhaps Absolute and Saturation have been swapped somehow.]

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2014, 04:02:14 am »

Hi Andrew, it was never in the profile's business to map the source black to destination black properly for the colorimetric intent. It is not about the profile doing it properly or not, neither is it about poorly made profiles. Quoted from page three of Adobe's published document of BPC:

Unless one is interested in getting blocked up densities from your measured paper black (anywhere from low dmax matte papers exhibiting L*16 to some of the highest dmax glossy paper exhibiting L*2) to RGB 0,0,0 or L*0, black point compensation should be used to scale the density values to maintain separation down to output black when converting to a printer profile using the Relative Colorimetric intent.

So - BPC does not just map source black to destination black, it also moves all density values so luminosity of all colors graduate smoothly from white to black.

Because of this, BPC does not only lighten the dark areas - sometimes it may darken certain regions, to ensure the luminosity transitions are smooth.

BPC, just like gamut mapping, is a dumb operation. The maths published in Adobe's article is available for all to see. If the perceptual tables are poorly mapped, it sometimes causes a shift even for the perceptual rendering intent. For some reason Adobe did not implement the shift to only affect the luminosity of colors, without shifting them in hue or chroma. In that respect, the perceptual rendering intent may be a better bet.

Robert, you might find Norman's webpage on BPC interesting too. Note the emphasis. He says:

Very good.  Seems like BPC is not quite as straightforward after all, as I suspected.  It's interesting that Norman Koren is never quoted in these discussions: he's quite an expert on lens and system testing and knows a lot about color management too.  Perhaps it's the Chromix/ColorWiki v GamutVision that's at play here.

Robert

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2014, 04:14:36 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure the reason why he chose not to use Lab is some of the problems Lab can cause with certain colors and perceptual uniformity issues. Also, Lab  wouldn't be as useful for dealing with issues such as camera color to RGB (CIE XYZ>PP RGB works very well).

Also, correcting white balance is nothing like color corrections in Lab...not sure where you got that idea...read this: Color Temperature. Correcting for white balance is NOT like the ab channels of Lab. The white balance in ACR/LR is actually rather brilliant using a dual illuminate DNG profile. Course, Thomas is nothing if not brilliant. Remember, he started this whole revolution when he created Photoshop.

Jeff, could you ask your good friend Thomas if he believes that ppPhoto is the best post-LR working space in all cases?  And if so for what reasons?  Perhaps you could get a quote from him? I would like to hear from the guru himself and as I don't play at his elevated levels like you do I'm not in a position to ask him the question.

On my side I paraphrase Graham Gill who said in one of his posts (I could go back to find it but it would take time): "ppPhoto is a crazy wide working space" ... and he wasn't using 'crazy' meaning good.  He comes from the gamut-mapping maker's side of things, so his comment is about the relative unsuitability of very wide working spaces from a gamut-mapping point of view.

As for the LR temperature and tint sliders ... sure, of course they correspond to the ab sliders in Lab.  I didn't say that the LR sliders do not do more, which I know they do, as indeed they do less than the ab sliders (for good reason) ... but what they do is to shift the colors in the blue/yellow and cyan/magenta directions just as the the ab sliders do. 

Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:01 am »

Hi Andrew, it was never in the profile's business to map the source black to destination black properly for the colorimetric intent. It is not about the profile doing it properly or not, neither is it about poorly made profiles.
Well there's this:
I have got to tell you, as a color scientist and Chairman of the ICC, the entire industry IS Molehill Central ( I am assuming here that you are implying that we are constantly playing "Whack a mole"). The problem with the whole ICC concept is that the fundamental implementations are always way ahead of the science and the science is always in transition as well.
Black Point compensation is an unfortunate response to a fundamental flaw in the initial ICC specification: the lack of a defined black point assumption. Many people took note of this early on, but the organization had a rather restrictive view on input from the outside world and we live with that legacy with a prolification of V2 profiles.  I would always recommend using BPC.
Tom Lianza

And there is this data point too:

Dear Andrew, Dear all,

Here is a clarification of the BPC (Black Point Compensation) issue from the ICC model perspective.

When you perform a Device to Device color convesion (RGB2RGB, RGB2CMYK, CMYK2CMYK etc...) using ICC device profiles, input device values are translated into input profile PCS (Profile Connection Space) values, CIELAB in most cases, and then these CIELAB values are translated from output profile PCS into output device values using the chosen RI (rendering intent) table and CMM (Color Management Module).
For more information about the ICC model and mechanism you can may wish to  take a look at the following public document:
"Introduction to ICC profiles and color quality assessment pdf"
on the following www page :
http://www.alwancolor.com/english/products/colorpursuit.html

In many situations, the input profile BP do not coincide with output device BP.
This may be due to 2 reasons:

1- input device profile PCS black point is different from output device profile PCS black point.
This situation may arise when using v2 profiles because ICC v2 spec did specify PCS white point, but not PCS Black Point. So some profile builders were able to adopt a different BP for their profile PCS than others.
This issue has been clarified with v4 profiles with which this situation should not occur anymore.

2- input device DR (dynamic range) - ie BP -> MWP (Media White Point) Lightness (CIE L) range - can be different for output device profile DR.
This situation may arise when you are converting colors from a device to another device having a noticeable different gamut.

Ex1- If we consider an input device with a PCS BP that is darker than the output device PCS BP:
Even with Perceptual RI some input blacks will be clipped in the output profile transformation because they do not exist there.

Ex2- If we consider an input device having a wide DR and an output device having a smaller DR:
If you perform a colorimetric RI transformation, input blacks will be clipped in the output profile transformation because they do not exist there.

In these cases, BPC allows you to map input profile BP into output profile BP hence avoiding the loss of shadow details in your images and in the black tints.

The inverse situation may happen too:
If input profile DR is smaller than output profile DR, using BPC allows you in this case to benefit from your output device DR by mapping your input black into your output black.
This is particularly useful for repurposing for example, by performing CMYK2CMYK transformations improving shadow details and avoiding your input blacks turning dark grays on your output device printout.

Adobe have done a great job in offering a BPC option which is consistent in all their product range and which is not a secret sauce.
Some color management products have implemented this very useful option.
Ours do (Alwan LinkProfiler and CMYK Optimizer: this is for the example not an ad :-) as well as many others on the market today.

The ICC (International Color Consortium) is working on this issue since a while now and maybe will find a way soon to specify and document BPC so it may become part of a standard ICC transformation and not an application option which is the case now.

I hope this helps,

Elie KHOURY

Lastly, as to should it be on, from a respected color geek extraordinaire:

Wilma,

Thee are two classic uses for Relative WITHOUT Black Point Cimpensation.
1. Converting CMYK for proofing when stock colors match between simulation device and simulator.
2. Converting an RGB reflection scan to CMYK when the dynamic range of the original is equal to or less than that of the CMYK device, and the most faithful reproduction is needed.
In virtually all other cases BPC should always be on.

Don Hutcheson
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:10 am »

I also think that the decision to go to ppRGB rather than Lab had probably more to do with the fact that we have gotten used to working in RGB and because most of the tools (like Photoshop) are really tuned around RGB rather than Lab. 
No capture device produces Lab. So you have to convert from RGB to Lab, then back to RGB again which is time consuming and data damaging. The fewer conversions, the better (hence another reason why sticking with ProPhoto primaries from the ACR engine makes sense). It IS recommended by Adobe in the LR preferences! Now you can have Lab controls over the RGB data as you point out with the Tint/Temp sliders. Heck, the old LinoColor scanners and software gave full-on Lab controls but again, the data was RGB and if you asked for Lab out the back end, you converted the data to Lab from RGB. There are more problems with Lab than advantages in terms of using it as an encoding color space.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2014, 11:42:35 am »

No capture device produces Lab. So you have to convert from RGB to Lab, then back to RGB again which is time consuming and data damaging. The fewer conversions, the better (hence another reason why sticking with ProPhoto primaries from the ACR engine makes sense). It IS recommended by Adobe in the LR preferences! Now you can have Lab controls over the RGB data as you point out with the Tint/Temp sliders. Heck, the old LinoColor scanners and software gave full-on Lab controls but again, the data was RGB and if you asked for Lab out the back end, you converted the data to Lab from RGB. There are more problems with Lab than advantages in terms of using it as an encoding color space.

Well we're in a somewhat pointless discussion at this stage because the fact is that LR and PS (mostly) uses RGB and talking isn't going to change that.  I agree with you about minimizing conversions, but you have to remember that the PCS is usually in Lab (and if it is in XYZ there is a straightforward mapping to Lab) and in all CMM conversions the intermediate color space is always Lab/XYZ.  So with the working space in RGB we have Input (RGB) -> PCS (Lab) -> WS (RGB) -> PCS( Lab) -> Output(RGB/CMYK); if the working space had been Lab we would have Input (RGB) -> WS (Lab) -> Output (RGB/CMYK).  So having a Lab working space would not (necessarily) result in more conversions.

I don't know enough about the problems that may be associated with Lab as a working space (as you say there is) to comment on what you say ... but certainly one major problem that I see is that Lab is way too big for our monitors and output devices at this stage, so there would need to be a mechanism to constrain it.

What I like about Lab is that it's more how we think: shift to blue/yellow, shift to magenta/cyan.  We don't think in terms of adding red or blue or green to an image in order to adjust it, so we end up with lots of adjustment filters like Selective Color, Hue/Saturation, Color Balance, Brightness, Contrast etc., that can all be done with a Levels adjustment in Lab.  The separation of luminance from chrominance is also excellent and removes the need for things like Fade Color and having to change the Blend mode of an adjustment layer to Luminosity etc, when applying filters or adjustments that have the side-effect of changing the color as well as the luminance.

Still, as I say, not a very productive line of discussion as it is what it is :)

On another more relevant (to this topic) issue: you have not commented on my criticisms of your ProPhoto to sRGB video. 

• Do you agree that the main problem with the flat-looking sRGB image in your video has more to do with the fact that you converted an image with saturated colors in ProPhoto to the very much smaller sRGB working space (a conversion that is inevitably a Relative Colorimetric conversion) rather than to sRGB itself?
  • Do you agree that if such a conversion is a requirement (for example if you are preparing the image for the web) that doing a Perceptual conversion to an intermediate profile and then converting to sRGB will to a large extent avoid the problems you highlighted?  I used a print profile to do this, but a better one would be a table-based monitor profile as this would not cause color shifts/desaturation to the same extent.
  • Do you agree with Steve Upton's recommendations:       
           Choose a working space that is just large enough to contain your imagery; any bigger and you're wasting space.
           If you can, choose a standard working space like sRGB or AdobeRGB. It makes file exchange and discussions easier
           Avoid converting between working spaces as the conversions don't deal with out-of-gamut colors well
           If the entire world used sRGB PROPERLY, color quality would go up significantly. What this means is that many color problems are not due to working space choices

In other words, do you agree that there is nothing inherently bad about sRGB or aRGB, providing that these encompass the gamut of the image?

If we could agree to these points then I think we would have moved forward significantly.

Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2014, 12:09:50 pm »

I agree with you about minimizing conversions, but you have to remember that the PCS is usually in Lab (and if it is in XYZ there is a straightforward mapping to Lab) and in all CMM conversions the intermediate color space is always Lab/XYZ. 
AFAIK, there's a difference between converting all pixles to and from Lab versus using a PCS to come up with values for the conversion. An old urban legend is that Photoshop converts to and from Lab to do all it's conversions and other editing operations. Not necessary, way too slow. What happens and has always happened since Photoshop started using ICC profiles is that when you ask for a conversion, Photoshop builds a conversion table and to do so, it uses LAB to find the equivalents from source to destination in cases where it needs to translate such color spaces, using 20-bit precision so you get less quantization errors than you would actually converting the pixels to LAB.
I don't know enough about the problems that may be associated with Lab as a working space (as you say there is) to comment on what you say ... but certainly one major problem that I see is that Lab is way too big for our monitors and output devices at this stage, so there would need to be a mechanism to constrain it.
CIELAB was 'recommended' by the CIE in 1976, to address a specific problem, namely, while identical XYZ values could tell you when two stimuli would be experienced as the same 'color' by most observers, it did not tell you how 'close' two colors were if they were not exactly the same XYZ value. Where Lab is useful is for predicting the degree to which two sets of tristimulus values will match under defined conditions thus it is not anywhere close to being an adequate model of human color perception. It works well as a reference space for colorimetrically defining device spaces, but as a space for image editing, it has many problems. There are a slew of other perceptual effects that Lab ignores. Lab assumes that hue and chroma can be treated separately, but numerous experimental results indicate that our perception of hue varies with the purity of color. Mixing white light with a monochromatic light does not produce a constant hue, but Lab assumes it does! This is seen in Lab modelling of blues. It's the cause of the dreaded blue-magenta color issues or shifts. Lab is no better, and in many cases can be worse than a colorimetrically defined color space based on real or imaginary primaries.

• Do you agree that the main problem with the flat-looking sRGB image in your video has more to do with the fact that you converted an image with saturated colors in ProPhoto to the very much smaller sRGB working space (a conversion that is inevitably a Relative Colorimetric conversion) rather than to sRGB itself?
  • Do you agree that if such a conversion is a requirement (for example if you are preparing the image for the web) that doing a Perceptual conversion to an intermediate profile and then converting to sRGB will to a large extent avoid the problems you highlighted?  I used a print profile to do this, but a better one would be a table-based monitor profile as this would not cause color shifts/desaturation to the same extent.
  • Do you agree with Steve Upton's recommendations:       
           Choose a working space that is just large enough to contain your imagery; any bigger and you're wasting space.
           If you can, choose a standard working space like sRGB or AdobeRGB. It makes file exchange and discussions easier
           Avoid converting between working spaces as the conversions don't deal with out-of-gamut colors well
           If the entire world used sRGB PROPERLY, color quality would go up significantly. What this means is that many color problems are not due to working space choices

1. Yes of course (in terms of bigger going smaller gamut)! The images have a gamut that greatly surpasses sRGB so sRGB is the wrong encoding working space to use for these images (all images unless you can show otherwise) from raw processed using the ACR engine. The rendering intent is a red herring you continue to obsess upon.
2. No, no problems. In my workflow, and many others, it's scan once, use many (or capture raw, render once, use many). I have no idea what output device my images will go to today or a year from now. And I want to retain all the data I can in the master to use it. So the answer is simple: encode in the largest color space I can. At such a point I'm going to output that data to a known device and have a profile, I'll examine what rendering intent makes the image look best (IF I even have such an option, output to web isn't one of them and it doesn't matter a bit to me considering the huge inconsistencies of output devices and lack of color management for so many). So again, you're obsessing about rendering intents and I've seen nothing thus far in my work or anything you've shown that illustrates I should be concerned and just use a smaller gamut working space instead.
3. I agree that I should use the biggest working space that doesn't clip color I captured which is WHY I use ProPhoto RGB. I'm far, far less concerned wasting space than wasting color data.
I don't know what a standard working space like sRGB or AdobeRGB means, seems like something someone made up. For me, ProPhoto RGB is a standard working space, my standard working space! I really don't care what some think the entire world is using, and no, if everyone used sRGB, they would have the same poor output to their Epson's as I see to mine using that working space (compared to ProPhoto RGB, even Adobe RGB (1998) which I just tested and found produced an inferior print to the 3880 compared to ProPhoto RGB.

IF anything, the recent testing I did with my Gamut Test File (from raw and some synthetics) has strengthened my opinion that ProPhoto RGB is a vastly better working space to use based on how I capture my data, in the converter I use and the output device I print to today.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »

Sure, whatever rocks your boat.  In my case I only process an image when I know the destination, so I don't need to worry about what-ifs.
You know the destination today and in the future? Or you output today and will never again? Because unless that's the case, you could be painting yourself in a corner with your data assuming the gamut and conditions of output devices today will not change in the future. You can go back and reprocess the raw, kind of a huge waste of time if like some of us, you may spend many hours after rendering to work on that file. Scan once, use many. It's a very flexible workflow for those who may desire to repropose all the possible data they captured and edited into the future.
Or you can just say you don't care which is fine, got no problem with that. It isn't a workflow I'd encourage among other's seeking optimal output, but it isn't any worse and maybe a lot better than the "just use sRGB" mindset.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »

You know the destination today and in the future? Or you output today and will never again? Because unless that's the case, you could be painting yourself in a corner with your data assuming the gamut and conditions of output devices today will not change in the future. You can go back and reprocess the raw, kind of a huge waste of time if like some of us, you may spend many hours after rendering to work on that file. Scan once, use many. It's a very flexible workflow for those who may desire to repropose all the possible data they captured and edited into the future.
Or you can just say you don't care which is fine, got no problem with that. It isn't a workflow I'd encourage among other's seeking optimal output, but it isn't any worse and maybe a lot better than the "just use sRGB" mindset.

No, of course I don't know what possible destinations there might be in the future ... I'm not a fortune-teller.  But until I do know the output I leave the image in raw (processed in Lightroom, which goes a long way, as you know).  Once I know that the image is going to, say, a matte paper with a limited gamut, I then create a virtual copy in Lightroom and soft-proof the image for that output.  I will then do any further processing in Photoshop.  If I need to reprocess the image for a much wider gloss paper then I go through this process again.  The image being sent to the matte paper has to be processed differently to the one being sent to the gloss paper, so IMO there is no choice but to redo the final processing for output.  To minimize the reprocessing required I normally hold the image as a raw smart object in Photoshop, which means that a lot of the post-lightroom editing does not need to be redone (but only tweaked).  I simply make two copies of the image, one for the matte paper and one for the gloss paper.  I know that this is wasteful in terms of disc space, but I don't care because I don't process tens of thousands of images, and disc space is now very cheap.  So I'm perfectly well future-proofed without pinning my mast to a workspace like ProPhoto ... that may well die a death (hopefully) in the future.

So you could say that I hold my base image in a very wide gamut space ... the raw file ... but for the reasons that I've gone over I don't use the widest commonly available workspace (ProPhoto) in Photoshop - I'll use a much more efficient wider-gamut workspace like Beta RGB, or if the image gamut is smaller I'll go to Adobe RGB or sRGB.

You know very well that I've never suggested that everyone should just use sRGB.  But I don't entirely disagree with Steve Upton (for whom you seem to have a great regard): most people would be better off sticking to sRGB because most people don't know (or care) about what can happen to their images when they start to mess with them in a wide-gamut workspace. Of course, Adobe hasn't seen fit to provide this option in Lightroom, except for jpegs..

I expect that this is one of the reasons why most smart phones and consumer grade cameras default to sRGB and jpg: the camera does the work and leaves little to the user to cause damage to.  It's a common interchange format that works without alteration to the web, office applications, all web browsers, photo viewers etc.

Robert
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:58:55 pm by Robert Ardill »

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:47 pm »

1. Yes of course (in terms of bigger going smaller gamut)! The images have a gamut that greatly surpasses sRGB so sRGB is the wrong encoding working space to use for these images (all images unless you can show otherwise) from raw processed using the ACR engine. The rendering intent is a red herring you continue to obsess upon.
2. No, no problems. In my workflow, and many others, it's scan once, use many (or capture raw, render once, use many). I have no idea what output device my images will go to today or a year from now. And I want to retain all the data I can in the master to use it. So the answer is simple: encode in the largest color space I can. At such a point I'm going to output that data to a known device and have a profile, I'll examine what rendering intent makes the image look best (IF I even have such an option, output to web isn't one of them and it doesn't matter a bit to me considering the huge inconsistencies of output devices and lack of color management for so many). So again, you're obsessing about rendering intents and I've seen nothing thus far in my work or anything you've shown that illustrates I should be concerned and just use a smaller gamut working space instead.
3. I agree that I should use the biggest working space that doesn't clip color I captured which is WHY I use ProPhoto RGB. I'm far, far less concerned wasting space than wasting color data.
I don't know what a standard working space like sRGB or AdobeRGB means, seems like something someone made up. For me, ProPhoto RGB is a standard working space, my standard working space! I really don't care what some think the entire world is using, and no, if everyone used sRGB, they would have the same poor output to their Epson's as I see to mine using that working space (compared to ProPhoto RGB, even Adobe RGB (1998) which I just tested and found produced an inferior print to the 3880 compared to ProPhoto RGB.

IF anything, the recent testing I did with my Gamut Test File (from raw and some synthetics) has strengthened my opinion that ProPhoto RGB is a vastly better working space to use based on how I capture my data, in the converter I use and the output device I print to today.

You would have made a good politician Andrew. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »

No, of course I don't know what possible destinations there might be in the future ... I'm not a fortune-teller.  
OK, it is just that you said quite clearly:
In my case I only process an image when I know the destination, so I don't need to worry about what-ifs.
But until I do know the output I leave the image in raw (processed in Lightroom, which goes a long way, as you know).  Once I know that the image is going to, say, a matte paper with a limited gamut, I then create a virtual copy in Lightroom and soft-proof the image for that output.  I will then do any further processing in Photoshop.

So IOW, ProPhoto RGB (at least with respect to the raw processing).
You know very well that I've never suggested that everyone should just use sRGB.
I never said you do. There are plenty of others who do however. It's a workflow concept.
But I don't entirely disagree with Steve Upton (for whom you seem to have a great regard): most people would be better off sticking to sRGB because most people don't know (or care) about what can happen to their images when they start to mess with them in a wide-gamut workspace.
If you don't care, it doesn't matter if you use color management or not.
I expect that this is one of the reasons why most smart phones and consumer grade cameras default to sRGB and jpg: the camera does the work and leaves little to the user to cause damage to.
 Has nothing to do with damage and everything to do with the audience. Good enough color is good enough for a lot of people. Going back to the 'just use sRGB' workflow.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2014, 02:38:17 pm »

You would have made a good politician Andrew. 
Well at least conclusions are based on testing and viewing of images. And I've provided a means for anyone else who cares to do so. After that, whatever they decide to do workflow wise is AOK with me. It's the people who have predetermined ideas about color and workflows, or those that have read stuff by people like Rockwell, Fong and Crockett and never do their own testing but believe their nonsense that need to be dismissed and/or ignored.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Well at least conclusions are based on testing and viewing of images. And I've provided a means for anyone else who cares to do so. After that, whatever they decide to do workflow wise is AOK with me. It's the people who have predetermined ideas about color and workflows, or those that have read stuff by people like Rockwell, Fong and Crockett and never do their own testing but believe their nonsense that need to be dismissed and/or ignored.

Well, as you know from other threads on this forum, I've done a hell of a lot of testing and also a hell of a lot of under-the-hood and theoretical digging.  I think you sort of fall under the category of someone who needs to be listened to with caution: when you demonstrate the clipping of an image when going from ProPhoto to sRGB and conclude that sRGB is inferior to ProPhoto and should be avoided as it results in bad prints ... you are really not advising people correctly.

I do post my thoughts on this forum, but I don't pretend to be a color management guru.  If I did then I would be a lot more careful in my recommendations and conclusions.

Having said that ... I do think most of your advice is very sound and well thought through.  But you do have some hobby-horses in the color management and sharpening areas that may not be entirely open-minded.

Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2014, 02:56:17 pm »

Well, as you know from other threads on this forum, I've done a hell of a lot of testing and also a hell of a lot of under-the-hood and theoretical digging.  I think you sort of fall under the category of someone who needs to be listened to with caution: when you demonstrate the clipping of an image when going from ProPhoto to sRGB and conclude that sRGB is inferior to ProPhoto and should be avoided as it results in bad prints ... you are really not advising people correctly.
Proof is in the print bud. No theoretical digging necessary!

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2014, 03:11:53 pm »

Proof is in the print bud. No theoretical digging necessary!

I know bud ... and I've done a hell of a lot of printing!  Not just recently, but since I bought my first Epson 4000 in 2004. 

For someone who knows (talks and teaches) so much about the theory of color management and printing, saying that 'No theoretical digging is necessary' is a bit rich :)

Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2014, 03:14:40 pm »

I know bud ... and I've done a hell of a lot of printing!  Not just recently, but since I bought my first Epson 4000 in 2004.
That long, wow?
My first digital printer was a Kodak XL-7700, cost me $10K used back in 1993!
And yes, viewing two prints side by side to evaluate print quality doesn't require a lick of theoretical digging. You do need to have a good pair of eyes however...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up