Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X Lenses  (Read 87196 times)

BJL

Re: Fuji X Lenses
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:17 pm »

I take all my photographs, for angular constancy's sake, so that the diagonal aligns with the horizon. That takes care of the annoying frame aspect ratio problem.
I prefer to take all mine with the circular sensor that people keep asking for; that makes the angle unambiguously precise, and also eliminates any possible accusation of "sensor cropping".

Petrus

« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2015, 02:07:03 pm »

As an aside: advertised focal lengths are not accurate, a 35mm lens might be anything between 33 and 38mm in reality, depending on the design. Many zoom lenses cheat at close focus distances to make construction more compact, 200mm at the closest focus is really 150mm or so.

BJL

the low precision of stated focal lengths/angles of view
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2015, 02:33:42 pm »

As an aside: advertised focal lengths are not accurate, a 35mm lens might be anything between 33 and 38mm in reality, depending on the design. Many zoom lenses cheat at close focus distances to make construction more compact, 200mm at the closest focus is really 150mm or so.
And on the original subject of head and shoulder portraits: heads vary in size, probably 20% or more with respect to amount of hair alone (as evidenced by my portraits over the years); another example of why we should acknowledge and live with rough measurements, descriptions and guidelines here.

I like thinking of many things (format sizes, angular field of view, dynamic range ...) in "stops", because it seems to me that "half a stop" (a factor of about 20%) is often about the smallest increment that matters in many aspects of taking a photograph -- computer tweaking can then handle the fine tuning of cropping, luminance, or such.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2015, 11:05:48 am »

Fujifilm 23 1.4

I got to use it quite a lot in a recent trip. While it does not have "special character" it is probably the first mainstream Fuji lens that does everything right (the 14 is similarly good but wider than mainstream, jury is still out on the 56).

Very sharp, even wide open when the extreme corners matter less.
Nicer bokeh than most Fuji lenses; again nothing special but honest pleasant one. It does have a little bokeh fringing but that's not unexpected.
Great aperture. Focuses quite close so even with a 35 mm equivalent you can get very shallow DOF.
Focuses fast enough for most things you would photograph with a 35. Decent for manual focus also.
Can't say I've noticed any significant distortion.
Size is decent, balances very nicely with the X-T1.

I wish it had some extra WR but it seemed to handle ok few raindrops. It is quite expensive though (even with the 200 rebate) but something that seems justified for the quality (with the rebate). You don't really have other options for the Fuji anyway.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2016, 04:49:53 pm »

After using it for about 1 week I can venture to say that the 90 F2 it's probably the first great lens for Fuji.
Really good sharpness: http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1801
Where I'm most pleased is with bokeh as it does very well for the majority of the situations, an area where I wasn't that thrilled with the average Fuji offering.
Focus is fast, probably held back more by the camera than by the lens focusing mechanism.
Also has WR for whatever it's worth; in my book it means I can occasionally shoot in the rain without worrying.
Size is manageable on the X-T1, no real problems; might be a little cumbersome on the X-E bodies.

rdonson

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:24 pm »

+1
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:38 pm »

Another review of the 90: http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/968-fuji90f2

I didn't realize is heavier than my Nikon 85 F1.8G.

rdonson

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2016, 11:00:15 am »

Thanks, Armand.  That's a good review.  I need to hit the lottery to buy all the Fuji goodies I desire this year.  ;D

If I may nit pick the review a bit I don't think the Fuji 90 compares to the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.  The Fuji 90 compares much closer to Canon L glass due to build quality, weather sealing and image quality.  If you think of L glass and its cost the Fuji seems reasonably priced.  Unfortunately Canon doesn't have a an L lens that matches focal length and aperture to the Fuji. The EF L 135 f/2 might be close.
Regards,
Ron

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »

I rented the new 100-400mm over the weekend. Definitely a keeper for me, I am going to go out and place my order for one, especially now the bundle with the 1.4x is only $100 more. The lens is big but not as heavy as it looks, handles well. The IS is superb, easy to handhold, used the lens foot as a handle for shooting. I like the window on the hood so you can reach in and rotate a CP, and also 77mm so that will work with my old filters. Took it out on Sat. for drive to look for flowers was a real hazy day with clouds and fog lifting and bright and contrasty sunny condiitions. 

a shot at 100mm
_DSF1044 by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

@400mm handheld
_DSF0969 by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

Almost no editing on those, been waiting a long while for this lens, it was worth the weight... got to get a new bag...

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2016, 05:38:43 pm »

The lens is big but not as heavy as it looks, handles well.

I see you were shooting an X-T1.  How was the autofocus performance?  Any additional comments on the handling?  Did you also try it on any other Fuji bodies?

I plan to rent one of these myself when the weather warms up here on the East Coast.  Having a 150-600mm full-frame equivalent lens for my Fuji bodies definitely intrigues me — even though it is somewhat inconsistent with my rationale for investing in the Fuji X line, which was to have something compact and light to carry around when the subject didn't justify the bulk of a full-frame DSLR.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2016, 06:07:54 pm »

Alan:

Does the IS run all the time like with the 50-140? and is it as loud?  I found the IS on the 50-140 a bit noisy, only Fuji lens I have used where this is an issue.  So far IS is running all the time on my other Fuji glass. 

I noticed that Amazon has the lens only in stock, but B&H is still waiting for the lens. 
Interesting that they can include the TC with either the 50-140 or 100-400 for only the $100.00 extra, when the TC by itself is around 449.00.  The TC does a good job on the 50-140.

Bring on the X-T2, not going to get the X-Pro2 as I prefer the body of the X-T1 and the extra grip which I feel makes a big difference with the larger lenses.  I just realized that the X-Pro bodies have different processing engines than the X-T1.  From what I have seen from the X-Pro2 files, (all jpg) Fujii seems to have done a good job just hope that can translate to the X-T2 which I guess won't be out till 2017. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2016, 12:31:29 pm »

I see you were shooting an X-T1.  How was the autofocus performance?  Any additional comments on the handling?  Did you also try it on any other Fuji bodies?

I plan to rent one of these myself when the weather warms up here on the East Coast.  Having a 150-600mm full-frame equivalent lens for my Fuji bodies definitely intrigues me — even though it is somewhat inconsistent with my rationale for investing in the Fuji X line, which was to have something compact and light to carry around when the subject didn't justify the bulk of a full-frame DSLR.

Yes I was shooting on a X-T1 without the battery grip. It balances well handheld if you hold it by the lens foot. The zoom ring seemed to get stiffer to turn the longer the focal length, it just might be that copy of it. Aperture ring and focus ring were smooth, the aperture ring was nice and tight. The finish was nice the lens foot is real nice and easily detached if desired. IS performance is really excellent, I was able to handhold at low shutter speeds at long focal length easily, like 1/20 to 1/30 was nice a sharp at 400mm. The zoom ring as a lock switch that will lock the zoom ring at its current position, good for travel I guess but I found it did not zoom on its own you needed to move the zoom ring and like postionable. It is also WR but since it is sunny and hot here I did not try that out.

I did not try it on any other body.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:38 pm »

Alan:

Does the IS run all the time like with the 50-140? and is it as loud?  I found the IS on the 50-140 a bit noisy, only Fuji lens I have used where this is an issue.  So far IS is running all the time on my other Fuji glass. 

I noticed that Amazon has the lens only in stock, but B&H is still waiting for the lens. 
Interesting that they can include the TC with either the 50-140 or 100-400 for only the $100.00 extra, when the TC by itself is around 449.00.  The TC does a good job on the 50-140.

Bring on the X-T2, not going to get the X-Pro2 as I prefer the body of the X-T1 and the extra grip which I feel makes a big difference with the larger lenses.  I just realized that the X-Pro bodies have different processing engines than the X-T1.  From what I have seen from the X-Pro2 files, (all jpg) Fujii seems to have done a good job just hope that can translate to the X-T2 which I guess won't be out till 2017. 

Paul C

I did not notice the IS being on all the time and it was quiet. When I rented the 50-140mm I did not notice it either. I have IS set to come on only with a half press of the shutter. There is a setting in the menus to set whether IS runs all the time or only when half pressed, did you have that set?

The bundle with the 1.4x TC is a limited time bundle, it ends on April 2, and prices go back to normal. I thought I saw it on BH in stock the other day I suspect there is run on these for initial shipment. I will get my order in soon. I think the bundle is US only, I would guess to stall people from the US from ordering from Canada because of the exchange rate. When it was first announced Henry's was taking orders at $1899 Canadian for the lens but then the price quickly went up to $2195, the initial price was a bargain with the exchange rate. So then for the US they include the TC for another $100 and that makes it more attractive to US buyers, or at least for me.

I too am looking for the X-T2 and I am sure that is coming or at least I hope it is, I wish it would come out this year. I too decided not to get the X-Pro2, I started with the X-Pro1 and still have mine but I want to sell it. Too many cameras..  I would be surprised if the X-T2 had a different processing engine that the xp2, the xp1 did then they made a faster one for the X-T1, and the X-Pro2 is the next generation which is supposedly much faster. I will probably rent the X-Pro2 and give it a whirl to see how the new sensor performs.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2016, 05:48:21 pm »

I guess it's not the OIS I hear, but the internal focusing motor, which on the 50-140 seems to run all the time, at least something is running.  I had my OIS set the same way only work when the shutter is pressed. 

With the 50-140, when you turn on the camera, there is quite a clunk noise, and then a whirring that is heard indoors pretty easily but not so easy to hear outdoors, but something is running all the time.  You can switch off the OIS on the lens and turn the camera to M focus mode and the noise is still there. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2016, 07:32:44 pm »

Interesting Paul, I have no idea, and even in manual that is strange. Hope you can figure it out.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2016, 09:44:56 am »

Just saw on the Fuji Rumors site the updated lens roadmap.

They have an XF 8mm listed. I wonder if this is non fisheye?

Also it seems the TC 2.0 will be shipping soon.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2016, 09:56:58 am »

LensRentals recent teardown of a Fuji XF 55-200 reveals the care and quality of Fuji lenses even on ones that aren't top of the line.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/02/the-long-awaited-scary-and-amazing-fuji-lens-teardown
Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:38 am »

Wrong post for this, but it does disappoint me that Fuji has such leading class design (lens/camera) and Firmware support for their products, yet there is still really not a great solution for raw conversions, at least mainstream.  LR has it's issues (way to easy to get a painterly file when attempting to get fine details)and so does C1 (bloated conversions with much less overall detail), I don't find that either conversion gets as good a conversion as the in-camera jpgs. 

Until something happens along this line, it's hard for me to continue the Fuji Investment.  Iridient can do a great job on the files, but I prefer to work more in LR and or C1 as both have much more advanced tools and controls. 

And now it's clear that Fuji as two engines out there the X-pro series and the X-T Series EXR processor.  So, possibly it's going to be even harder to get an improved solution for raw conversion. 

I have not yet found any X-Pro2 files (raw downloads) to look at in LR to see if anything was improved over past processing.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2016, 11:44:35 am »

I have not yet found any X-Pro2 files (raw downloads) to look at in LR to see if anything was improved over past processing.

I think the "problem" is the X-Trans, as opposed to Bayer, sensor. Many developers have learned more and more advanced ways to process Bayer data; fewer have done a great deal with the much less common X=Trans.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »

Wrong post for this, but it does disappoint me that Fuji has such leading class design (lens/camera) and Firmware support for their products, yet there is still really not a great solution for raw conversions, at least mainstream.  LR has it's issues (way to easy to get a painterly file when attempting to get fine details)and so does C1 (bloated conversions with much less overall detail), I don't find that either conversion gets as good a conversion as the in-camera jpgs.

Back in June, Adobe's release notes for Lightroom 6.1 reported that the company was working with Fuji to improve the rendering of X-Trans files:

In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition.

As far as I know, there has been no further public comment on this effort from either company and I haven't detected any improvement since then in X-Trans processing.  In January, after the LR 6.4 release, I posted a query on the Lightroom Journal site requesting a status report.  Nobody at Adobe has responded.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up