Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D3x vs. Nikon D810  (Read 17091 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Nikon D3x vs. Nikon D810
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »

Suppose I were going to convert to Nikon, specifically because their 200 macro lens + body produced better single images than a comparably-equipped Canon.

The D3x is still available ... why is nobody talking about this camera anymore ... and why is it still more than twice as expensive as the D810?

What advantages does the D3x have?

Does anyone shoot both?

If so, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon D3x vs. Nikon D810
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »

The D3x, that I used until the D800 came out, remains a very solid performer with a very good image quality at low ISO  (only clearly second to the D800x in my view, close to the D6xo).

It offers amazing physical resilience and a dead solid battery life.

But the D810 is significantly ahead in terms of image quality across the board, AF and functions (EFS, live view, shutter vibration/noise),... Plus it is so much cheaper that you can buy a back up for the same amount.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:35:23 pm by BernardLanguillier »

John Koerner

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

I guess it's the build of the D3x then.

Battery life is important, but you could buy a lot of batteries for the difference in price :P

I am warming to the idea of the D810.

I am not really a long-lens shooter, but have had my heart set on that 200-400. Still, most of what I actually do is single-image macro. Painstaking focus, composition, and (often) low light. (I hate the use of flash.)

The difference in image quality between the Canon + 180 macro and D810 + 200 macro was pretty sobering.
Mind you, they were just DxO scores, but the sharpness rendered was supposed to be double.

I may rent the combo for a week and see what it looks like in real life; if it really is that much more noticeable then I will have to take the plunge.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »

Hello,

I've owned a Nikon D3x and now use a Nikon D800E and D800.

The D800 camera have a far larger dynamic range the the D3x especially in the highlights.

Also the D800 raw files are what I call fatter compared to the D3x which can take raw adjustments compared to the D800.

The D800 files where as good if not better than the Leaf Aptus 75 I used to own.

It was after I purchase the D800E that I sold all my large format, medium format and D3x equipment as it all became redundant.

So in a nutshell go for the new D810.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

John Koerner

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »

Thank you for that, Simon.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

I owned a d3x - a d800e and i used the d810 for a week...

short: buy the d810... it is the best of the bunch... ( Why would Nikon make something less good?)

d3x was top 3 years ago... why they still sell it - i do not know... for the d800 is better already.

-
the 3dx has one advantage- more solid buit and a vertical grip... ( but weighing a pound more)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »

John:

Your idea of renting the combo is a great one.  I would like to see what you think on the 200 macro.  I am considering that lens also, or the 105mm.  The 200 is supposed to be a great lens. 

I think that as others have pointed out, you will be disappointed with the overall DR on the D3s compared to the newer Nikon's you have mentioned.

One good place to consider rental is the www.lensrentals.com.  I have used them before and they have a great system.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

LKaven

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:28:04 am »

I really did like the look of the D3x, it's colors, like the A900.  I don't know what it was, but it sure looked good to me.

I think the D810 is probably it now. 

But the one thing that I still miss is the finder on the D3x (as with the D3/D4).  The D800 finder goes all wonky at the edges and corners.  The D3/4 cameras just have finders that are nice and clean with plenty of clarity and edge room.  I'd love it if they made just one change to the D810, and that was the finder.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »

... I'd love it if they made just one change to the D810, and that was the finder.

+1
they say the nikon F3 had a beautiful prisma... but never had it-   I still like the prisma/viewfinder of my F100 better than the d800's

Maybe it has to do with the autofocus system - getting in the way..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »

Does anyone shoot both?

If so, which do you prefer and why?

I have both, although the D3x has been converted to IR. That alone tells you something. If you shoot macro, you're going to love the EFCS on the D810.

One downside to the D810 is you can't drive nails with it. ;D

Jim
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:00:21 pm by Jim Kasson »

Jim Metzger

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »

Several years ago I was at a 2 day talk by Steve McCurry and Jim Richardson. Nikon was a sponsor. During a break one member of the audience asked the Nikon rep who in their right mind would spend $5000 on a D2X? The rep picked up the camera by the zoom lens and started hammering on the table, I mean really hard!

"Photographers who can't afford to "baby" their cameras" he replied.

My D2X was more durable than my D700 but the files from the newer camera are much better. I would assume the D810 has better files than the D3S as stated above, I hope to find out myself in due time.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:51:54 pm »

Several years ago I was at a 2 day talk by Steve McCurry and Jim Richardson. Nikon was a sponsor. During a break one member of the audience asked the Nikon rep who in their right mind would spend $5000 on a D2X? The rep picked up the camera by the zoom lens and started hammering on the table, I mean really hard!

"Photographers who can't afford to "baby" their cameras" he replied.

My D2X was more durable than my D700 but the files from the newer camera are much better. I would assume the D810 has better files than the D3S as stated above, I hope to find out myself in due time.

Yep, those Dx bodies are very rugged.

Now the problem is the accuracy of lens mount alignement and the sustainability thereof.

My personal view has changes a lot about how carefully high mp cameras have to be treated. I would, for example, never carry any of those with a 3+ kg lens attached any longer, be it in the best photobag.

The slightest fall (think 30cm on anything harder than sand) also means a trip to the service center.

My guess is that this may be one of the reasons why there isn't yet a 54mp D4x. Durability is a core objective of Nikon in their designs.

Cheers,
Bernard

LKaven

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »

+1
they say the nikon F3 had a beautiful prisma... but never had it-   I still like the prisma/viewfinder of my F100 better than the d800's

Maybe it has to do with the autofocus system - getting in the way..

The F3 has a wonderful finder.  I would love to have that in an FX DSLR!

I know that finder optics is not a gizmodic feature that brings people into stores, but it means everything to me.  I will always focus manually in any situation where it is technically feasible.  The AF points are a creative distraction, as is 'focus and recompse.'

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:11 pm »

D3X: murderdeathkill it with a missile and it'll still work. Great colors.
D800 (810 could be similar, if a bit better. I can only comment on the former): Ho-hum colors, decent-to-good build, can leave the grad NDs at home if you're packing economically, better screen.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 05:22:58 am »

D800 (810 could be similar, if a bit better. I can only comment on the former): Ho-hum colors, decent-to-good build, can leave the grad NDs at home if you're packing economically, better screen.
D810 has different colours than the d800e... i think better
also more contrast...
I do not know if its software or hardware making these changes, but it is not the same...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Manoli

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:13:52 am »

Ho-hum colors ...

Hardware / cfa colours relate to OOC camera jpegs as they're embedded in the file. Both Lr and C1 use their own profiles for RAW's and there are other providers of custom profiles such as huelight. If Lr and/or C1 profiles aren't suitable (?) - it's a matter of 'roll your own' ...

John Koerner

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:29 am »

Ho-hum colors are a deal-breaker ...

Absolute resolution is nice, but shape and color are everything ...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 09:45:08 am »

Ho-hum colors are a deal-breaker ...

Absolute resolution is nice, but shape and color are everything ...

I personally like the colours I am getting with the D810 + C1 Pro 8.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/72157645832791611/

Cheers,
Bernard

John Koerner

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 10:23:47 am »

I personally like the colours I am getting with the D810 + C1 Pro 8.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/72157645832791611/
Cheers,
Bernard

It's hard to compare, since most of your shots are taken in broad daylight, where the lighting is not optimal.

One thing Canon shooters have always enjoyed is wonderful color rendition.

Here is my Photostream, and I just use a 7D.

I love the colors I get in my Canon, but part of that is simply capturing my shots in the early morning (pastel) light.

Jack

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »

Jack,

I would buy a 7DII if I were you. It is obviously the body you had been waiting for.

I don't know you but I have read many of your posts recently. What gets conveyed in a totally unmistakable way is that a Nikon body will never satisfy you fully because... it isn't a Canon.

There is nothing wrong with that but you would IMHO save time and money by just acknowledging this and acting accordingly.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up