Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM  (Read 17708 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:43:57 am »

A slew of new products from Arca:

Arca Swiss FP - A modular Focal Plane Shutter option compatible with every Arca R and Arca M body. This is not a new separate body; it is an optional accessory for the current bodies.
Arca Swiss CS - A modular, portable, Central Shutter option compatible with every Arca R and Arca M body.
Arca Swiss Cloud DM - A modular, wireless distometer.
Arca Swiss dEx - The brain/hub of all above accessories with wireless remote control.
Arca Swiss Canon/Nikon Lens Mount - More info coming soon.

You can find more information at the links above. We, Digital Transitions, will be at Photokina with Arca Swiss and will be glad to provide answers to any questions you have. Please post them here or email me at dep@digitaltransitions.com.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:18:30 am by Doug Peterson »

torger

Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:54:02 am »

Wow, this looks really interesting! If I had guessed I thought Arca-Swiss would come up with a new body similar to Alpa FPS, but these new shutter solutions look more interesting. Haven't had time to read up on what they can do yet though... but first impression is indeed "wow".

torger

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:38 am »

Questions about the Copal shutter replacement, the Arca Swiss CS

1) any idea of pricing, how much will such a shutter cost?

2) is it drop-in replacement, ie can you use it on any camera with copal shutters (such as my Linhof Techno), or will it only work on Arca-Swiss cameras?

And then on the Arca Swiss FP, the obvious question -- how wide can you go with the tech lenses? How many mm does it add to the flange distance?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:04:51 am by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:41 am »

This is huge deal for the users of Arca cameras.  Probably one of the single biggest announcements from Arca since they announced the R cameras.  

Hopefully this will be shipping soon. They have been working on the shutter all year.  It would be great to see a picture of the shutter mounted on the rm3di.  
Also hope that this will allow the shutter information to be capture by the Back.  

Other question is how the shutter communicates to the back, hopefully it's not only limited to USB as that would not allow tethering in the field.  I saw that there appears to be a
wifi controller also, so maybe on the IQ2 backs you can go via wifi.  Hopefully more on that soon.   From the pictures of the controller, it has a mini USB port, so that's not looking good for being able to tether and use this solution in the field.  I can see the controller connecting to the FP shutter via USB, but what cable runs to the back and from what port on the FP shutter.  There are several different ports available, hopefully this can be done without using the USB port on the back.

Hopefully it works on all the wides in R mount by removal of one of the mount rings. Just like the back rotation device works or the "rotaslide" adapter ring. All R mount lenses I have seen or owned, the closest ring to the lens has "remove for rotaslide".  Hopefully that will all it takes.

Glad to see it finally for real. I JUST HOPE ARCA CAN SHIP THESE ON A TIMELY BASIS.

Paul

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:02:18 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:28 am »

Not mentioned in Doug's post, but in the press release is the "Arca-Swiss Universalis" which seems to be an updated MF-two concept, or possibly a merge between M-line and F-line. It would be nice to get a description of what the differences are.

Brent Daniels

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:54 am »

Any details on the CS shutter?
- Available shutter speeds
- How is it controlled
- Does it work tethered through Phocus or other softwares
- How wide of lens is possible on M-line 6x9?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:50 pm »

Talk is that the FP (focal plane) unit will require a new lens mount, and that the rotaslide ring removal work. 

If that's the case, I have to say, OH Well.  Great idea, but only for a new user.  In conversations I have had with Arca on the FP since January of this year, the plan was to always have the FP be a modular drop in design, with no lens mount redo.

Based on Arca's costs, I am assuming the mount will be $900.00 per lens or close to that.  Even if it's less, the thought of sending off 6 separate lenses for mount swaps is a bit disconcerting.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:39 pm »

- Available shutter speeds

1/250th

- How is it controlled

It connects to the Arca Swiss dEx which allows control via the Arca Swiss RC (wireless remote control).

- Does it work tethered through Phocus or other softwares

Will get back to you.

- How wide of lens is possible on M-line 6x9?

Will get back to you. But normally for wide-angle applications we would suggest an Arca Swiss R series camera.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 01:23:10 pm »

and that the rotaslide ring removal work....

Hi Paul,

Do you mean, that the rotaslide will not be an option to use?

Cheers
Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:23:14 pm »

Other question is how the shutter communicates to the back, hopefully it's not only limited to USB as that would not allow tethering in the field.  I saw that there appears to be a wifi controller also, so maybe on the IQ2 backs you can go via wifi.  Hopefully more on that soon.   From the pictures of the controller, it has a mini USB port, so that's not looking good for being able to tether and use this solution in the field.  I can see the controller connecting to the FP shutter via USB, but what cable runs to the back and from what port on the FP shutter.  There are several different ports available, hopefully this can be done without using the USB port on the back

More nitty gritty details later, but it is a solution meant for use in the field and can be run without tethering.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »

Some very good questions posed here, and I'll be back in about 24 hours with answers to every question here. But for now I have to join some Phase One colleagues for a beer.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »

More nitty gritty details later, but it is a solution meant for use in the field and can be run without tethering.

Doug:

Thanks, can you elaborate on if the FP will need a new lens mount?
Also you listed 1/250 for the shutter speed, I assumed the FP would have a range from bulb to say at least 1/500th?  

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

foster_jb

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »

Hi Paul,

Not sure if you saw this, but here is a link to a PDF put out by Arca Swiss (thru Doug).  Still lacks some details, but it does list the FP top speed at 1/3000 sec.

https://digitaltransitions.com/images/upload/Arca-Swiss-News-2014.pdf

Best,
Foster

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »

Foster,

Thanks for the link:  That sounds better.  My biggest concern right now is if the current R mount will work with out modification.
If no modification is needed, I would take one tomorrow.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:29 pm »

No new lens mount required. But a different spacer ring will be required (will get exact cost tomorrow but it sounded pretty reasonable).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

Doug

Thanks. You just made my day!!

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 03:32:49 pm »

1/250th

It connects to the Arca Swiss dEx which allows control via the Arca Swiss RC (wireless remote control).

Will get back to you.

Will get back to you. But normally for wide-angle applications we would suggest an Arca Swiss R series camera.

My interest would be using the Rm3di with the new shutter and appropriate lens shooting in to Phocus so I can use Multishot with a H5D 200MS back

So i need very clear and specific confirmation this is possible and what, exactly, would be needed, and the price, for this setup to work flawlessly
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:11:56 pm »

I would imagine that the new leaf shutters will preserve similar functionality to Copal shutters, but possibly needing different focus spacers.  I'm more interested in the FPS (and eventually Canon lens mount).  I wonder if the thickness of the FPS matches the Rotaslide spacer on the lenses?  That would make for an easy transition.  Of course, you wouldn't be able to use a sliding back anymore.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »

Looks like each lens, will need a new "lens tube". Even after using an rm3di for almost 3 years now, I am not sure exactly what that is. But not a full mount.

Each lens will need to be measured, then Arca will make the tube, and I guess each tube will be unique to your individual lens. If you use the shutter, you put on the new tube and if you are going to use the copol, then you would use the "original" tube.

Hopefully more pictures may show up later during the week.

Sadly, it appears the widest lens will be the 32mm Rod HR-W.

With 6 lenses, I can see the solution getting pretty expensive. Not sure what the cost of tube will be, but as you will need one per lens, that could easily get up to 1.5K (for say for 5 lenses), shutter estimated at 2K U.S and then the cost of the controller?

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »

Paul, why not use the FPS (which can do 1/3000th) and leave all your glass in Copal shutters (using the iris only) to set your f stop?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up