Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help deciding  (Read 2255 times)

willc73

need help deciding
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:10:28 pm »

I have read many of the reviews at luminous landscape and although I am going to demo several cameras next month I wanted to get opinions. I am a product photographer who shoots primarily in studio ( i know most people here shoot on location) . I have been renting digital backs for some time now and have used quite a few of them.
I have been considering purchasing either a h20 back or a h25 back for a while. The P backs don't interest me much because I have no interest in shooting untethered.
My dillema is should I save money and purchase the Canon 1 MarkII with a Cambo 35 and schneider lenses, or should I purchase an H25 and Cambo camera and schneider lenses. I will tell you the savings is very tempting and some reviews say it is indistinguishable.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

bill
www.bill-cahill.com

kevraber

need help deciding
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 08:36:26 pm »

Bill

There is a difference.  In the end it may depend on where your work is being published and what size, but the detail in a file from an H25 is quite good.  I may be a Phase One employee and such, but there must be a reason so many top shooters pick the Phase One back, especially when they want to stand out.  Also, you may want o look at the P systems.  There are a number of them that dealers will have at good prices that have been loaners for people waiting for thier P30s and P45s.  I have both a Canon 1ds II and a Contax P25 and when I have shot side by side there is a difference.  The best way I can say it is micro-detail and dynamic range.  Let me know where you are located and I can make sure you get pointed to a dealer that will help you make the right choice.

BR

willc73

need help deciding
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:46:37 pm »

Thanks for the good info. I will probably go with a phase one, I love the interface. I am just a cheap person at heart.
I live in Los Angeles. I deal occasionally with Calumet, but I hate the guy that runs the digital department there, he  is such a little weazel. It is hard to spend that much money with someone you don't trust.
If you can recommend another place, that would be great.

Thanks
BIll

Ben Rubinstein

need help deciding
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 06:58:10 am »

Might be worth having a look at the pro digital med format forum on Rob Galbraith, there are some serious pros shooting tight deadlines with both and there is a lot of infor there as to their stories and histories with using digital medium format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up