Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3Dii & H4d backs on H4X?  (Read 3452 times)

Theodoros

H3Dii & H4d backs on H4X?
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:31 pm »

It has been reported here (in another discussion) that all H3Dii and H4d backs of Hasselblad H3Dii or H4D cameras can be used on any H3Dii or H4D camera body... Can anyone else please confirm? Can the backs be used on an H4x camera too? Can a multishot (H3Dii-39ms or 50ms or up to H4D-200ms) back be used on an H4X?

UdoinDesert

Re: H3Dii & H4d backs on H4X?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:28:26 pm »

I'd recommend to contact Hasselblad support directly.

Udo

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:51:21 pm »

H4x is not compatible with a H3/H3II/H4 Hasselblad digital backs.  I seem to recall Doug or Steve talking to a mix and match between H3DII and H4.

The H4x is more or less a classic H1/H2 body with TrueFocus.  The H5x can be used as a backup for a H5D back, in addition to support a Phase/Leaf H mount back or a film back.
t: @PNWMF

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:41:06 am »

Udo
They so "no" or don't bother... It seems to be a "discovery" that some users did by trying different combinations... I am interested if it applies with the MS backs and if the H4X is part of the findings.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:27:24 am »

Rent an H4X and try for yourself.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

jerome_m

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:45:37 am »

That will not work. First, there is no "Hasselblad support". You have to go through a dealer who, as a general rule, did not test all possible body-back pair. Second, the Hasselblad company themselves, in their available publications, are somewhat inconsistent as to what works and what does not. For example, mounting an H3DII-50 back on an H4D camera should not work, but it does (at least for the last firmware version).

I am sure that there are a few engineers in Göteborg who know, but we can't contact them. I am afraid that there is no other way to know than testing.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:30:20 am »

I am sure that there are a few engineers in Göteborg who know, but we can't contact them. I am afraid that there is no other way to know than testing.

And that is potentially a large investment to make which may be crippled with the next software change.

Note the HCD lenses can now be used with a film back, that was only crippled before by software lock outs on the H3D.

Peter Devos

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:00:56 am »

The H4d/H3dII backs and bodies are compatible. The H4x simply lacks the power outlet that connects with the back. But in case of emergency one can always attach a H4/H3 back on a H1/H2, put some thin tape over the body contacts and use Flash sync with a cable to the studio strobe connector on the camera. The back can also be powered by the FW cable when working thethered :-)

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:31:00 am »

The H4d/H3dII backs and bodies are compatible. The H4x simply lacks the power outlet that connects with the back. But in case of emergency one can always attach a H4/H3 back on a H1/H2, put some thin tape over the body contacts and use Flash sync with a cable to the studio strobe connector on the camera. The back can also be powered by the FW cable when working thethered :-)
Two more questions since you seem to have done more research on that than any other posting... Will the MS functioning work on another body (that was originally aimed for a single shot back) than the original one? Will the H4X work with a H3Dii or H4D back if one powers the back via an external P.S. (or tethered)? For instance if one buys an H4D-50ms can he use the back on an H3Dii-39 and still have MS with Flexcolor? What camera shall he select on Flexcolour menu? ....same with H4x and externally powered back like if it was to be used on a view camera... Thanks for the answers Peter... much appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up