Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Medium Format Digital?  (Read 15140 times)

Manoli

Re: Why Medium Format Digital?
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »

I just completed 45 collages with Photoshop CC 2014 and did not have any of the issues described in the link you posted.  

Alain,
Good news , thanks for the feedback.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »

Bernard:

For me the test is in my work.  I make a living selling fine art prints and I offer full money back guarantees for quality and none has ever been returned because of stitching issues even though I have demanding customers and high prices.

Alain,

Your welcome. Glad to have helped you make more in less time... for free. ;)

I just hope you are not implying that my quality standards are lower than yours.

I am not the least bit questioning the quality of your outcome. I use PS and I know from first hand experience that PS does work very well on feature rich stitching friendly subjects like those of the South West landscape.

I also know from very extended first hand experience, shared by thousands of advanced stitchers worldwide, that PTgui/Autopano also and they provide this extremely high level of quality faster, with more control and while consuming less ressources.

I have provided my evidence and will gladly review yours if you decide that discussing the performance of software makes sense instead of pushing your, remarkable, credentials as a fine art photographer.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:19:58 pm by BernardLanguillier »

NancyP

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 01:29:35 pm »

AutoPanoGiga is like magic. Magic. I can't believe how fast it renders on a relatively slow-poke computer. Faster than Hugin, though I understand that underneath the hood the two programs are related. Next stop: starry sky pano with Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - once I find a good truly dark sky (plans camping trip to middle of Mark Twain Natl Forest, which has some tiny patches of Bortle Blue - I haven't been able to use the Sigma at f/1.4 despite its low coma, due to Too Much Light Pollution closer to town).

As an amateur with more money than time: Not only do I have G.A.S., but I have S.A.S. software acquisition syndrome. AutoPanoGiga is complicated and I am sure that there are many things it can do that I haven't discovered it. However, it is easy-peasy to throw a few photos at it and get remarkably good results for a beginner at the software.

BJL

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:09 pm »

Next stop: starry sky pano with Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - once I find a good truly dark sky (plans camping trip to middle of Mark Twain Natl Forest, which has some tiny patches of Bortle Blue - I haven't been able to use the Sigma at f/1.4 despite its low coma, due to Too Much Light Pollution closer to town).
Have you ever visited the highish country of southern Arizona, like around Patagonia? The combination of some altitude, lack of urbanization, and dry air give by far the best night sky scenes I have found in North America.

Telecaster

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2014, 12:10:42 am »

Another fine dark sky site: near Alturas, CA, on the edge of the Modoc forest. Assuming there are no fires in the area during your visit, of course. My folks & I camped there when I was a teenager, and in the late 1990s I returned with a friend. The seeing was excellent both times. Given CA's current state of severe drought I'd check on water availability before making the trip.

-Dave-

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:25 pm »

Hi Bernard,

No, no implications that your quality standards are any lower than mines.  Just two different approaches based on different goals and needs.

Best regards,

Alain
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

vjbelle

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2014, 03:07:23 pm »

I also know from very extended first hand experience, shared by thousands of advanced stitchers worldwide, that PTgui/Autopano also and they provide this extremely high level of quality faster, with more control and while consuming less ressources.

If by 'Collages' the meaning is to stitch together two images then by all means PS will usually be OK.....but certainly not all of the time.  PTGui  however will always work, and work faster.  I won't even consider PS as every time I have attempted photo merge it has resulted in unsatisfactory results. 

Victor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up