Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPZ3100 ink spittoon?  (Read 966 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
HPZ3100 ink spittoon?
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:13:47 am »

I have to replace the belt on my aging Z3100 pretty soon and wonder about replacing ink service station spittoon.  Can I leave it alone?  Maybe replace what looks like absorbent material at the bottom? 
The reason I'm asking is that it seems to be fabulously expensive (several hundred $$)... I know the Epson's have a chip and will prevent the printer running after a set amount of use without a new one or a chip reset.  Not sure how the HP works.

Thanks

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Re: HPZ3100 ink spittoon?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:26:24 pm »

this article should answer your question
http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/share/view/24640509

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:54 am »

Thanks Mike ... and ugh ... I do have one of the 1st printers shipped so I'd expect to have the older style described.  Looks like it will be a long weekend.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:24 am »

I wonder which side spittoon is described. I have cleaned the left side one by removing the pressure plate, taking out the felt and soaking it with glassex fluid and then for hours under a dripping tap. After that pressed it dry in a vise and then mounted it again. I have been at the capping station side more often to clean and moisten parts there, wiper etc with the theory that as long as things stay fluid there it would at least fill into to waste tank bottom and when time comes I would get rid of the fluid in a similar way as done at the left side spittoon. I do not see that as an easy task though so decided that if I made a hole at the bottom of that waste tank that when it starts to drip (inside the right side cover) I could still decide to make an extra external drain of it or clean the tank. Have yet to see any drip appear. Z3100, 7 years and 3 months old now, not used 24/7 but always on for its cleaning cycles. An unconventional approach I guess but this Z3100 and its owner is still a winning team.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

Thanks Ernst, I'll look at both while sides I'm doing the belt. 
My printer and use is about the same as yours.  Delivered Jan 2007, maybe less printing though, especially over the last 12 months or so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up