Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this keep the heads on an Epson 9800 from clogging?  (Read 1530 times)

uintaangler

Will this keep the heads on an Epson 9800 from clogging?
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »

I responded to a local advertisement for a used Epson 9800 for $1,500
When I inquired about issues with print heads clogging ( because of what I have read in this very forum ) here is how the owner responded….
I have found if you keep the printer plugged in and don't auto clean the heads or the power dump, it won't clog up and won't fill your discharge cartridge up fast either.

Can this be true? and What does "power dump" mean?
Thanks,
Bob

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
Re: Will this keep the heads on an Epson 9800 from clogging?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »

If the 9800 is anything like the 4800 this sounds like an extremely bad piece of advice.  Unless the 9800 does a nozzle squirt every now and then, like the HP printers do.

With the 4000 and 4800 I found that the best thing was lots of printing ... which is a problem if you don't have lots of printing to do!

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:03:05 pm »

I responded to a local advertisement for a used Epson 9800 for $1,500
When I inquired about issues with print heads clogging ( because of what I have read in this very forum ) here is how the owner responded….
I have found if you keep the printer plugged in and don't auto clean the heads or the power dump, it won't clog up and won't fill your discharge cartridge up fast either.

Can this be true? and What does "power dump" mean?
Thanks,
Bob

I don't know Bob?
5 year old technology and more importantly 5 years of wear for $1500.00. Maybe if it was half that.
You can get a new 9890 for $3195 with warranty.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

I just discarded my 4800 due to clogging problems. My 9800 never clogs. Pressurised cartridges are the answer.

uintaangler

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:23:42 pm »

I just discarded my 4800 due to clogging problems. My 9800 never clogs. Pressurised cartridges are the answer.

First I heard about pressurized cartridges?
Can you explain further - what Large Format printers have them?
Thanks

BillK

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:05:04 pm »

Bob,

One thing to consider when you are thinking about a used large format printer is if will it need
to be tipped up to get around a corner, up/down stairs, ect...  Once these things are charged with ink
tipping them beyond a certain point can be a big problem. In some cases it may be cheaper to buy a new printer
than purge and refill the ink to move it.

I own both a epson 7900 and a canon 8300 and am firmly in the camp that the canon is a much more user friendly experience
than the epson. I also have a epson 3880, like you, it is pretty much problem free compared to the 7900.

Its nice to have a warranty on a new one, you could find yourself buying someone else's problems buying used.
Both companies frequently offer rebates that reduce the cost quite a bit.

It was good to meet you in Park City. Glad you were satisfied with your sales there. For me it was an all time record show:-)

You probably shouldn't expect other shows in the area to be as good. Like I said, you jumped into the deep end of the pool for a first show.
That show is probably one of the top 10 in the country.

Good luck,
Bill

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

First I heard about pressurized cartridges?
Can you explain further - what Large Format printers have them?
Thanks

I don't know which other printers have pressurized carts, other than the 3800, which I believe also has them. It, too has an excellent no-clog reputation.

I didn't know the difference until I first began using my 9800 and heard a new noise that the 4800 never made.  It was the pressure pump. You can hear it turn on occasionally during a large print.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:54 pm »

With humidity kept monitored at between 40-60%, my old 9800 was bulletproof and extremely reliable. 

My 9900 that replaced my 9800 has been equally reliable too.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up