Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish Independende Debate  (Read 57151 times)

stamper

Re: Scottish Independende Debate
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:22 am »

Well according to the Bank of England, not you, they do the Government's bidding if need be. So if they set rates that interfere with inflation, then they'll have to change them.
This is why Salmond's talk about keeping sterling is utter BS if he wants independence.  He's all hot air and empty promises, lets hope he doesn't destroy Scotland and the rest of UK along with it.

JJJ what is that you don't understand about the Bank of England being Independent? If any government tried to influence the bank there would be a serious political row that would be damaging to the incumbent government. The interest rate has been unchanged for over 5 years so no interference has taken place. As stated inflation rate setting comes only about when the interest rate is changed. You have it arse for elbow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29234667

shawnino

« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:44 am »

Polls yet to close but the current betting says
Yes 4/1
No 1/5
so a Yes vote seems unlikely.

Guess the Scots did their math: "We have a lot of oil and some Muslims, so if the Yanks ever figured out we weren't part of England, well..."

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:50 am »

JJJ what is that you don't understand about the Bank of England being Independent? If any government tried to influence the bank there would be a serious political row that would be damaging to the incumbent government. The interest rate has been unchanged for over 5 years so no interference has taken place. As stated inflation rate setting comes only about when the interest rate is changed. You have it arse for elbow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29234667

What the bit you do not understand about the Bank of England's very own code? They are only independent up to a point.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:01 am »

There's something else that the yes voters haven't taken into consideration
If they lose Britain surely they lose the pound? In which case jokes on them....none of their shopping trolleys will work.

stamper

« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:58 am »

What the bit you do not understand about the Bank of England's very own code? They are only independent up to a point.

JJJ this is an obvious oxymoronic statement.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoronic

I now understand why you aren't popular on this forum. :(

jjj

« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:18 am »

JJJ this is an obvious oxymoronic statement.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoronic

I now understand why you aren't popular on this forum. :(
I know exactly what an oxymoron is.  'Independent up to a point', is a turn of phrase which describes this particular situation, which is the illusion of [total] independence. The whole point is that it is a contradictory statement.
Either way the BoE is not, as you still falsely claim completely independent. Despite the fact I demonstrated they are not with evidence from the bank's ethos itself, you then continue to deny this incontrovertible evidence.  :-\

The truth often upsets people as it get in the way of their blinkered prejudices. Being disliked by such folks is hardly a problem in my books, I'd be more worried if such people liked me to be honest. If you also want to deny any facts that get in the way of your biases, go ahead hate me too. It still won't change the truth, no matter how inconvenient it is to you.
I don't mind in the slightest that you are in favour of independence. However basing it on mistruths and blindly optimistic nonsense as Salmond does, is not a good way to argue the case.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:05 am »

Nice to have their support even if they don't have votes:

"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

stamper

« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2014, 11:12:03 am »

If they lose Britain surely they lose the pound? In which case jokes on them....none of their shopping trolleys will work.

Asda & Morrisons in my town have free trolleys.

jjj

« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

Asda & Morrisons in my town have free trolleys.
Obviously you are lacking a sense of humour here.   :-\

jjj

« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2014, 01:15:48 am »

Darn, looks like the Welsh flag isn't going to be on the Union Flag after all.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2014, 04:09:07 am »

Whatever they choose, I hope they are happy. Lord knows they haven't always done well on that front in the past.

"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." P G Wodehouse.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2014, 04:20:06 am »

And what do YOU think Jeremy? It is cowardly to hide behind someone else's statements. :(

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2014, 04:27:25 am »

Shite being Scottish, eh, living in a country where the majority is brainwashed and scared?

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2014, 05:12:46 am »

Shite being Scottish, eh, living in a country where the majority is brainwashed and scared?

Separatism isn't the way forward nobody wanted to see a country split up
I found the entire event very divisive and damaging I only hope the message for ALL the people of the UK has got through about wanting proper democracy, not just Scotland

Salmond has wasted a lot of money on a personal ego trip

jjj

« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2014, 11:28:46 am »

And what do YOU think Jeremy? It is cowardly to hide behind someone else's statements. :(
Much better I guess to simply be rude and insulting.  :-\
An awful lot of people on LuLa have quoted other people's saying or phrases at some point, are they all cowards too?

jjj

« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

Separatism isn't the way forward nobody wanted to see a country split up
I found the entire event very divisive and damaging I only hope the message for ALL the people of the UK has got through about wanting proper democracy, not just Scotland.
The thing that separatists do not get is that Holyroyd  is quite possibly viewed by say Shetland or the Orkneys in the same way as those in Glasgow/Endigburgh view Westminster. Now if distant areas who very definitely voted no didn't want to be part of a separate Scotland, surely they should be allowed to go their own way too. So at what point do we stop this getting one's own independence malarky?

Salmond has wasted a lot of money on a personal ego trip
Indeed, but he was quite gracious in his concessionary speech.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

In my opinion, the No campaign did not win the independence vote, it was the Yes campaign that lost it.

Because having watched all this unfold over the months, I think we can all agree after the fact, that there were indeed many more people in Scotland who really did want to vote for independence than did so in the end, so why didn’t they? Because, and even though this might be difficult to digest for some folk from the Yes side, the majority of people had become scared of the febrile nature of the Soltire waving separatists and the underlying racism of the Union flag burning outer sections of the Yes camp, strong feelings had been ignited and looked to burn out of anyone’s control should the Yes side win. Because to your ordinary person on the street, the Yes campaign, along with the cybernats, the shouty, in your face banner waving hordes, the people daubing painted Yes’s on monuments and defacing natural areas of beauty and rock structures etc and the irrational and wildly overlapping arguments put out by the fringes of the Yes side, from the bug-eyed pond life of the barmy left, through to the twittering absurdities of the barmy right, scared voters away from the Yes camp in their droves, it scared the hell out of them because of what might follow if the Yes side won.

So having said all this, I would also add that for the Yes side to then start blaming and name calling the No side, for having the temerity to achieve victory, even under the spoken threat of ‘you will vote for independence or else there will be consequences’, is nothing more than puerile, because the majority of people in this brave land have shown their true mettle by standing up to Salmond and his cohorts and firmly telling him No, we do not want your brand of independence thank you, so I think we should be rejoicing in this show of democracy and how it has so clearly triumphed over what appeared to be descending into mob rule, rather than decrying it.

I absolutely applaud the outcome of this referendum and my fellow people of Scotland, for having been brave enough to make this difficult decision to stay part of the 300 year old union.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:06:44 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

jjj

« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:27 am »

Anyway let's smooth things over and spread the love....

jjj

« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:49 pm »

In my opinion, the No campaign did Not win the independence vote, it was the Yes campaign that lost it.

Because having watched all this unfold over the months, I think we can all agree after the fact, that there were indeed many more people in Scotland who really did want to vote for independence than did so in the end, so why didn’t they? Because, and even though this might be difficult to digest for some folk from the Yes side, the majority of people had become scared of the febrile nature of the Soltire waving separatists and the underlying racism of the Union flag burning outer sections of the Yes camp, strong feelings had been ignited and looked to burn out of anyone’s control should the Yes side win. Because to your ordinary person on the street, the Yes campaign, along with the cybernats, the shouty, in your face banner waving hordes, the people daubing painted Yes’s on monuments and defacing natural areas of beauty and rock structures etc and the irrational and wildly overlapping arguments put out by the fringes of the Yes side, from the bug-eyed pond life of the barmy left, through to the twittering absurdities of the barmy right, scared voters away from the Yes camp in their droves, it scared the hell out of them because of what might follow if the Yes side won.
I'd agree that it was more the Yes campaign losing the election. If I was in favour of separation, I still wouldn't have voted yes because Salmond and company seemed to be clueless about the reality of what came next. With currency + retaining EU membership both being completely unknown quantities, it's like saying you're going to build a house, despite not knowing whether the foundations are reinforced concrete or sand until the build is fully underway with no way of starting over.

I also loath nationalism as it is something that unnecessarily drives wedges between people. Plus I think that there is little difference between Scottish Nationalism where folks are wanting to divest themselves of England and Farrage/UKIP and his supporters wanting to divest them selves of Europe. Yet for some reason they are seen very differently. Somehow though, those waving Scottish flags are seen as proud Scots whilst those waving English flags are usually seen racist loonies when in reality they both want the same thing for their respective countries. Also the dichotomy of wanting to split from the UK, but strengthen ties with Europe makes me think this whole thing is an anti-English vote, not an independence vote.  :-\

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2014, 12:08:37 pm »

The threat of import taxes on Bucky clearly swayed quite a few people.

Anyway, glad you're staying. Can we now get on with getting shot of this ToryDem government?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up