Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish Independende Debate  (Read 57158 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Scottish Independende Debate
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

Quote JJJ
So how do you determine if people are going to return or not?
People may be away on a contract and hope to return, people may decide they miss family and return and so on...
unquote

If only the residents get to vote then you don't have to worry about the above. For me it is the lesser of the evils in tomorrow's vote.
So you have no answer to my question. There's a surprise and sadly typical of the Yes campaign.

The Tories are the evil ones imo. I don't expect a free Scotland will be the land of milk and honey but a UK after a no vote will an appalling mess when austerity comes into being.
As for the Tories, you do realise that voting for independence means they are far more likely to be in power now as as you want to keep our currency and therefore still be be under their control. No to mention complaining about the current and temporary government you are helping to make permanent isn't exactly rational thinking.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:04 am »

That's the typical naive nonsense the Yes campaign is based on.

on the contrary - your position for NO is a naive FUD.

jjj

« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:25 am »

The difference is that Salmond is an elected leader of an elected party. Something that Farage will never be. What he will do is split the vote in England which means that Ed Milliband will never become an elected leader. :(
Yet you want to remove the Labour vote from Scotland too.
Farrage is the leader of an elected party which are much like SNP was when they first started. The crap both come out with is indistinguishable, yet somehow Scottish nationalism is OK but Farrage's equally blinkered nationalistic view isn't.
Both are also sucking up to the TTIP which makes an utter mockery of everything they say with regards to self determination and only shows them for the career politicians they are as opposed to men of substance.

jjj

« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2014, 11:28:32 am »

on the contrary - your position for NO is a naive FUD.
Rather than post some random words try and argue a point for a change.
I'm actually neutral about this in many ways, but think the current Yes campaign is all hope and zero substance and would not vote for it even if I wanted independence.

Thinking about it, it's the Yes campaign that are spreading FUD because they have no idea as what going to happen next. If they had real plans, I there would be less concern.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:34:36 am by jjj »

stamper

« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:03 am »

JJJ you said a few weeks back - more than once - you were leaving the forum. Have you left and returned or not left at all? After a Yes you will be left behind with Cameron, Milliband and Farage. ;D

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

I feel the sudden urge to remind people who complain Scotland never gets fair representation that the previous 2 Prime Minister's of the UK were in fact Scottish.
This is why there is a Scottish Parliament (I think we can all embrace the concept of more regional representation for the UK)

There isn't really a case for separation that makes any kind of sense least I can't see it. But I see the "wee greedy eyes" all over Salmond's face he is not a man to be trusted
he is a phoney and a fake who will just like Cameron say anything it takes to get power for himself. If the people of Scotland want him well you are welcome to him..

The modern trend of separation and splitting up has not worked in other regions merely creates more tensions.

jjj

« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2014, 11:41:13 am »

JJJ you said a few weeks back - more than once - you were leaving the forum. Have you left and returned or not left at all? After a Yes you will be left behind with Cameron, Milliband and Farage. ;D
I said I was fed up with morons on LuLa and have little time to waste on them, but I've blocked the posters who having nothing more than insults, bile and and nastiness in their posts. I'm baffled as to how they've not being banned, as they've said things far worse than anyone whose been banned before. I only come on here when I have time anyway, so may not post on here for months at a time anyway.
If you think you are getting rid of our nasty politicians, you are mistaken. You're helping them gain power which as you want to use our money, they'll be in charge of you too.

jjj

« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2014, 11:45:01 am »

I feel the sudden urge to remind people who complain Scotland never gets fair representation that the previous 2 Prime Minister's of the UK were in fact Scottish.
This is why there is a Scottish Parliament (I think we can all embrace the concept of more regional representation for the UK)
Don't let facts get in the way of the yes voters.
I seem to recall that the previous parliament was referred to as the Scottish or Tartan Mafia at times because it was so heavily Scottish

There isn't really a case for separation that makes any kind of sense least I can't see it. But I see the "wee greedy eyes" all over Salmond's face he is not a man to be trusted
he is a phoney and a fake who will just like Cameron say anything it takes to get power for himself. If the people of Scotland want him well you are welcome to him..

The modern trend of separation and splitting up has not worked in other regions merely creates more tensions.
Nationalism is a poison that affects all sides negatively.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:55:16 am by jjj »

jjj

« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

Apart from as Barry pointed out that the previous two PMs were Scottish who ruled for three long terms and is conveniently forgotten about by those who claim to want Scots to be in charge, this is a typical meaningless soundbite from Salmond.
"It's inconceivable that the land of Adam Smith can't run their own finances."
Obviously he doesn't know much about Scottish history either as that's basically how the Union was formed in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:56:51 am by jjj »

stamper

« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »

Quote JJJ Reply #313

As for the Tories, you do realise that voting for independence means they are far more likely to be in power now as as you want to keep our currency and therefore still be be under their control.

unquote

The bank of England is in control of the currency. It's powers are independent of any government and has been for quite a few years. So if Scotland gets to share the pound then the Tories can't control Scotland via the currency. Do you have any truthful scare stories? ::) ;D

jjj

« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »

The bank of England is in control of the currency. It's powers are independent of any government and has been for quite a few years. So if Scotland gets to share the pound then the Tories can't control Scotland via the currency. Do you have any truthful scare stories? ::) ;D
Ahem! From the horse's mouth

Core Purpose 1 Monetary Stability
Monetary stability means stable prices and confidence in the currency. Stable prices are defined by the Government’s inflation target, which the Bank seeks to meet through the decisions delegated to the Monetary Policy Committee, explaining those decisions transparently and implementing them effectively in the money markets.

"The Bank performs all the functions of a central bank. The most important of these is supposed to be maintaining price stability and supporting the economic policies of the Government, thus promoting economic growth."

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »

Jeremy I take it you are trying to get your own back? At least I have a positive vote available with respect to my future. You have the choice of Tories/Labour/Lib dems or a combination of two of them. Or maybe Ukip. Which do you prefer for the austerity future? ;D

Get my own back for what? My comment was confined to the fatuity of the sentiment behind the quotation.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2014, 02:19:58 pm »

The bank of England is in control of the currency. It's powers are independent of any government and has been for quite a few years. So if Scotland gets to share the pound then the Tories can't control Scotland via the currency.

That's naive beyond belief. Scotland won't share the pound because there will be no monetary union. Scotland may well use the pound, but monetary policy will be set by the Bank of England for the benefit of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, irrespective of any harm which might be done to what would by then be a foreign country. In some ways, of course, that would be good for UK business: a custom-designed economic environment and yet no currency costs incurred in trading with Scotland.

Jeremy

jjj

« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »

Here's something a friend commented...

So if the Bank of England is a UK creation, set up with UK funds for the UK, then Scotland gets to share it, and the UK oil rigs paid for with UK money for the UK are entirely Scottish, have I got that right?.

Another friend said this when I mentioned three recent governments being rather Scottish in nature including both PMs....

Indeed, the UK has been run by Scottish people or Scots-educated (e.g. Blair/Fettes) for I don't know how long - they are over-represented in all the major institutions. If they don't like the status quo then they only have themselves to blame.

Both of these hint at the hypocrisy of the Yes campaign.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »

Both of these hint at the hypocrisy of the Yes campaign.

only about your friends...

jjj

« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »

only about your friends...
do you have reading problems or are you simply trolling?
You certainly ignore any points raised and carefully dodge any questions.  So maybe you're a SNP candidate....   ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:51:53 pm by jjj »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:35 pm »

Things like interest rates are controlled by the Monetary Policy Committee which as far as I'm aware consists mostly of English people and a few Welsh ones. Not seeing a Scot on the list
Anyone fooling themselves that an independent Scotland would be using a currency that they have been to date is living in a dream world these people set the interest rates for one why an independent Scotland would want to be tied to a a non Scottish institute is a mystery to me. It's a mere cop out Salmond wants to keep a "few bits" for his convenience £ Sterling and the Queen (at least for now)

When you start to dig a bit deeper there are an awful lot of unanswered questions. When the UK chancellor says the pound will not be shared in the event of a yes vote you can bet 100% that it won't be. The currency problem is a very big one, not to mention infrastructure and social services. It's a mess and the SNP has not answered these questions instead reliant on flag waving. I only hope the people of Scotland have the sense to see past this

Anyway it's up to them now so let it take it's course whatever happens will happen. It's been a very divisive period and I think that's a real shame

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:17:18 pm by barryfitzgerald »

stamper

« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:56 am »

Ahem! From the horse's mouth

Core Purpose 1 Monetary Stability
Monetary stability means stable prices and confidence in the currency. Stable prices are defined by the Government’s inflation target, which the Bank seeks to meet through the decisions delegated to the Monetary Policy Committee, explaining those decisions transparently and implementing them effectively in the money markets.

"The Bank performs all the functions of a central bank. The most important of these is supposed to be maintaining price stability and supporting the economic policies of the Government, thus promoting economic growth."

The Bank of England sets the interest rates. This comes before any decisions about inflation.  ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:15:51 am by stamper »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2014, 04:12:38 am »

Whatever they choose, I hope they are happy. Lord knows they haven't always done well on that front in the past.
David
(Clan MacLaren)

jjj

« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:08 am »

The Bank of England sets the interest rates. This comes before any decisions about inflation.  ???
Well according to the Bank of England, not you, they do the Government's bidding if need be. So if they set rates that interfere with inflation, then they'll have to change them.
This is why Salmond's talk about keeping sterling is utter BS if he wants independence.  He's all hot air and empty promises, lets hope he doesn't destroy Scotland and the rest of UK along with it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up