Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coronado Bridge  (Read 944 times)

James Clark

Coronado Bridge
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »

Coronado Bridge

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Coronado Bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

Lovely.

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:41:21 am »

I like the square crop and the framing. Tonalities, with the light sky behind, are well chosen.
Francois

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:45:36 am »

I like the sweep of the bridge, which appears deserted, whilst the bottom half has the texture of the water & the hints at life in the distance, with ships & buildings, and no doubt people. A picture that appears very simple, yet is full of interest. And that sense of desertion in the top half is very powerful.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:17 am »

+1 to what has been said. To add, I like the way the perspective changes the pairing of the lightpoles, as if we were watching a dance in a stop-action film.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

James Clark

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:20 am »

Thanks everyone.  I'm thinking of cloning out that last light pole on the right that goes off the top edge of the frame.  Any opinions on that?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »

Hi James, I think that if you do that the perspective shift from the curve of the bridge is going to give you away. Probably the best approach is to do it and see what you think.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:14:44 am »

Did you take a long exposure of the scene just like the other image you posted? This image is worthy but after seeing so many images with long exposures my brain has become accustomed to thinking that smooth water is the "default" and sharp looking water is the alternative.

James Clark

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:29 am »

Hi James, I think that if you do that the perspective shift from the curve of the bridge is going to give you away. Probably the best approach is to do it and see what you think.

I think you're right about this.  Cloning it out leaves a gap that the eye says "ought" to be filled.  Nice catch.

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:49:54 am »

Did you take a long exposure of the scene just like the other image you posted? This image is worthy but after seeing so many images with long exposures my brain has become accustomed to thinking that smooth water is the "default" and sharp looking water is the alternative.

Oddly I didn't, and I'm not sure why.  I'm not one to automatically go right to long exposure for water, but the simple lines and shape on this one would seem to warrant at least the attempt.  I do remember going out that morning with the specific intention of getting some "classic" B&W looks, so it's possible that it just wasn't on my mind...  Something else from about 10 feet to the left.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:51:52 am by James Clark »
Pages: [1]   Go Up