Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prints on double sided papers-spraying, results of double  (Read 814 times)

dgillilan

Prints on double sided papers-spraying, results of double
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:05:08 pm »

Hello,
I am making a print album of some images that I shot at a major aquarium and wildlife center. I am using the papers that came with the kit, which is Innova Opus Album with Soft Textured art double sided 200gsm papers with holes pre-punched.
Has anyone printed a photo album yourself, with double sided paper and were your results good with printing on both sides (not just printing on one side) ?
I have printed five pages on one side only so far, and the weight of the paper I can tell has increased a good bit with the ink and I am wondering how the paper will "hold up" when I print on the opposite sides also to achieve the double sided prints ?
Last, do you recommend spraying the first side after I print that image(after it has dried) (I use Hahnemuhle protective spray and Moab Desert Varnish on my single sided matte papers after printing and allowing to dry first) before printing on the opposite side, and then allowing the second side to dry and spraying it also? I suppose that this would be the logical way to do this, and was wondering of the experiences of anyone else in printing with double sided papers, and also of the spraying of the double-sided matte papers ?
Thank you, Debra

hugowolf

Re: Prints on double sided papers-spraying, results of double
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »

... and the weight of the paper I can tell has increased a good bit with the ink and I am wondering how the paper will "hold up" when I print on the opposite sides also to achieve the double sided prints ?

Once the ink has dried fully, the mass should be very little different. There is only one way to find out though, and that would be to print one and see.

Last, do you recommend spraying the first side after I print that image(after it has dried) (I use Hahnemuhle protective spray and Moab Desert Varnish on my single sided matte papers after printing and allowing to dry first) before printing on the opposite side, and then allowing the second side to dry and spraying it also? I suppose that this would be the logical way to do this, ...

My experience has been that both these lacquers (they are probably the same product rebranded) are quite brittle when dry. If you are printing with a machine with a flat feed path, such as an Epson roll feed printer, you will probably be ok. Otherwise, if you feel the need to coat, I would consider using a water based coating.

Brian A

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:05:40 am »

Thanks Brian, I will see if I can determine what brand and name, is a water based spray,
Debra
p.s. Am using Epson R3800 printer(no rolls), Canon pro-1 pigment(no rolls), and Canon ipf6400 (roll), papers are sheet fed in all.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:09:53 am by dgillilan »

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »

I don't know that I have seen a water based coating in an aerosol can, I was thinking more in the lines of Breathing Color Timeless or Glamour.

The 3800 has a straight feed path, but it has large borders enforced. Canon Pro-1 doesn't have a straight feed path. I know the ipf8400 doesn't, but the ipf6400 may have a straight feed path.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up