Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Custom Function on EOS-1Ds  (Read 2507 times)

plattners

Color Custom Function on EOS-1Ds
« on: September 28, 2005, 10:46:20 pm »

I recently adjusted the sharpness setting on my EOS-1Ds, and I am glad I did. I would like to know if it is possible to adjust the color saturation levels. I would like my RAW files to look more like the real scenes they depict, with the sort of color saturation and sharpness I saw through the lens. Any suggestions?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 11:40:27 pm »

None of the in-camera sharpness or color space crap affects the RAW data. You simply need to learn how to process a RAW file. Start here.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:22:36 am »

In addition to Jonathan's very helpful series of articles on digital capture and processing on his website, you should take comfort in the fact that RAW files are not meant to look as sharp and luminous/saturated as what you saw through the camera lens when you made the photograph. This is not an accident or anything wrong with your camera. There is a very useful article covering this and alot of factors written by Chuck Westfall of Canon's Marketing Department (see Canon Website) - it is a technical paper covering the basics of using the 1 series cameras. You are not alone in recovering from this kind of surprise on first using a high-end digital camera.

Regarding sharpness, the camera has an anti-aliasing filter that reduces acutance somewhat, but does not destroy detail. You recapture the acutance through post-capture processing in Photoshop using a sharpening tool, be it Photoshop's USM, or better still one of a number of custom plug-ins such as PK Capture Sharpener. The contrast and saturation you think you are missing is easily recaptured in Photoshop using a Curves adjustment layer, and occasionally a slight saturation tweak with an HSB adjustment layer, though this latter adjustment is normally much less important than a small amount of work in Curves. With minimal and appropriate post-capture processing you will replicate what you thought you saw through the viewfinder - and more.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

neilcowley

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:46 am »

Actually the camera settings do affect your raw files as they are set as the default for the raw processing.  So yes you can increase the saturation in the Color Matrix setup and if you're raw capture software should start with those settings.  And you can always override them of course.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 12:40:53 pm »

To be more discerning about this, SOME settings affect RAW processing and others DO NOT. Neither the instruction book nor Westfall's paper are completely lucid about which settings affect RAW images and which do not. It is clear that RAW images do not get sharpened in the camera. Colour temperature settings do not affect RAW. AWB looks after white balance adequately for most images in RAW mode. Not clear from these references whether or not the Color Matrix setting affects RAW. It may.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:56:31 pm »

Actually the camera settings do affect your raw files as they are set as the default for the raw processing.
Chuck Westfall has written about this in the Rob Galbraith forums, and according to him, the only camera settings that have any effect whatsoever on the actual RAW data are ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and long exposure dark-frame fixed-pattern noise removal (the "noise reduction" menu setting, which only applies to exposures of one second or longer). All other camera settings are simply tags in the EXIF data that the camera maker's RAW converter use as default conversion settings. If you use a third-party RAW converter such as Capture One or Camera RAW, the only camera setting that is usable as a conversion default is the white balance.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:08:35 pm »

Jonathan, yes - sounds right based on what I've heard before. One would think that when a company like Canon produces a multi-thousand dollar complex instrument like this they would lay all this stuff out explicitly and precisely in the manual - maybe they assume the only kinds of people who buy these cameras should know all that stuff already, which of course is not necessarily true!
Pages: [1]   Go Up