Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to printing with Canon ipf8400: ripples in paper  (Read 1620 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
New to printing with Canon ipf8400: ripples in paper
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

Just set up my Canon printer; assembly, set up, etc went smoothly. Incidentally, the head unit fit flat through a 29 inch door to my studio, but required two young guys to hoist the 220 lbs bulk!
Anyway, printed a test strip, which can be seen in the accompanying shots using the sample paper that comes with the printer (Canon LFM-CP360S, Heavyweight Coated Paper). No worries, worked like a charm. Second print, done borderless (18x36) has these ripples that I initially thought might be due to incomplete drying. Let it dry overnight, ripples still present. No variation in colors, just ripples. The attached shots attempt to show this. Apologies in advance, they're from my phone.
Any help, advice, thoughts, suggested tutorials appreciated. If there's a thread out there, please direct me; I saw the one on grooves, but these seem more like ripples and much more obvious so thought I would start a new thread.
Thanks in advance.
PS I've read the Schewe series and will re-visit it.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: New to printing with Canon ipf8400: ripples in paper
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:32:08 pm »

Seems to be an "oversupply of ink" issue. Printing at 300 dpi, it is less visible. That or cheap paper?

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

To me it absolutely looks like what happens when the paper gets too wet.  I wouldn't go using the paper supplied, that works best for doing all of the calibrations as you're supposed to use the same paper when you need to return to factory spec I think, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

That coated paper really is a matte paper, and I'm not surprised to see this given the heavy ink load of the content of your image.  If you use a RC paper, which is essentially plastic I think, it shouldn't show this.  But truth be told, images printed this size really need to be mounted onto something because they are bound to be a little wavy just from the sheer size. 

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:41 pm »

To me it absolutely looks like what happens when the paper gets too wet.  I wouldn't go using the paper supplied, that works best for doing all of the calibrations as you're supposed to use the same paper when you need to return to factory spec I think, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

That coated paper really is a matte paper, and I'm not surprised to see this given the heavy ink load of the content of your image.  If you use a RC paper, which is essentially plastic I think, it shouldn't show this.  But truth be told, images printed this size really need to be mounted onto something because they are bound to be a little wavy just from the sheer size. 

I agree,

Try different papers matte and gloss, FB and RC, something that is really heavyweight (300gsm or more). That looks like roller marks on extremely soaked paper.

Best regards.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

Thanks. I think you're right. In my excitedness, I want to print some things and see what they looked like and found that two things helped with this matte paper: printing at a lower setting (300 dpi) and less "dense" images (see attached) where there is no evidence of the original phenomenon. I realize that higher quality paper will be needed. I am going to lock this topic.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:39 pm »

Topic locked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up