Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPZ3200PS - 1yr zero issues, WTF?  (Read 3607 times)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
HPZ3200PS - 1yr zero issues, WTF?
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

I park this machine in the same spot my X900s were, I still only print my work, I order my ink direct from HP and it comes the next morning for free, I make my own profiles, I absolutely love the colors, I absolutely love the prints, I don't wake from nightmares of drying ink in my head and I leave it parked for weeks at a time. In a year I have never had one clog, not one band, not one ink drop where it shouldn't be.  I don't even know if this machine has a maintenance tank, I have no idea how it works and I'm still not sure if it actually uses ink.  ...And I bought this thing used!  How can something be this good?

Or maybe it's just me.  Could be the years I spent dreaming I could fix something no one else could, have skewed my vision.  Maybe this is simply how printing is supposed to be.  Either way I am concerned that I have nothing to be concerned about anymore, which has me concerned.  You'd think one of those concerns would cancel the other one out but it hasn't.  Dammit

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON Z3200PS:

Could someone with Z3200 experience please give me something to work on with this machine?  Can I oil something?  Should I tighten something?  Clean something?  Change something?  Is there some quirky characteristic this machine has that I can help to not become a problem in the future? 

Please.  Nothing is perfect.  That's impossible. 

Stephen G

Re: HPZ3200PS - 1yr zero issues, WTF?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:02 am »

dude, if it ain't broke...

dseelig

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:13 am »

I have had a z 3100 for 7 years or so only had one minor issue with it which is why I still have it.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »

well...

5 years using a Z3200ps here. Worst frequency of use possible: one week it is used almost 24/7 and than it spends almost 2 weeks of no use. Sometimes I travel and is is left (turned on) for a month or so.
I can tell you for sure that it will give you some headaches eventually, but far less than any other printer.
Clogs are not a real issue, but you should have spare heads on standby before any important/big work.
It does have a "service station" that is a piece that incorporates the maintenance tank and cleaning caps. It has to be replaced eventually and is not considered user replaceable. So, it is more expensive and costly to replace, but last longer than Epsons or Canons maintenance tanks.
When the printer start popping intermittent error messages (regardless of the content) the firt thing I do is to clean the encoder strip. That usually makes the error messages go away. If they persist, than it may require a technician. Download the service manual (only Z3100 available as far as I know), it is good to have it on hand.

Good luck!  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:01:58 pm by Geraldo Garcia »

namartinnz

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »

Eric

I first had the Z3100 then got the Z3200 after the first started playing up after 5 years of good service. As everyone has been saying they're good machines. Possible long term replacement to look at is the print head carriage belt. On the Z3100 they had a habit of wearing out, leaving small rubber particles to fall onto prints causing voids. With the aid of a video made by fellow member Kaleria and the service manual you can pull the machine apart to change the belt - something really easy to do with someone of your experience - it just takes time. I did it with no hassles.

I'm not saying this has happened on the Z3200 line, maybe HP changed the belt, but it could happen. No need to worry about replacing expensive print heads, they're cheap as chips and last a long time. Otherwise give the capping station a clean every now and then and you'll be good as gold. And I never had issues with full ink waste reservoirs I think the ink gets magically teleported away somewhere.

Good luck!
Neal

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:38 pm »

Our 24" Z3200 never had a single problem. The hP software was not great, and the HP Pro Customer Support was deeply flat-footed, but the machine just worked. No question, The Epson 900 machines have been Much more trouble.

John-

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »

yikes, don't rouse the epson apologists!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:33:43 am »

Eric,

There are wide format printers for nozzle checks, maintenance, repair and there are wide format printers for printing ..............and auto calibration, auto profile creation.
It must be possible to find a classic wide format printer like an Iris or an Epson 9000 if you can't resist the urge.

Clean and oil the bar the head carriage runs on. The lightest oil in the Nye Hobbyist Lubricant Kit is identical to the HP prescribed oil. The wear on the belt is most likely increasing with a bar that is not kept in good condition. Check the paper knife and the profile it runs in on dirt and whether the wheels still turn properly, another part that could increase the wear on the belt. Suck the ventilation holes externally and internally near the power unit at the left and the formatter board there, formatter board and its HD may survive longer then. Clean and oil the ventilator there or replace it if its sound gets to loud. You could take off the right cover to clean the maintenance/capping station there, if too filthy ink drops can get on prints, check the ventilator there. Do not replace the 2 screws behind the front panel that partly hold the right and left cover in place, enough screws left to do that work and it makes maintenance way easier. Service Manual link in the Z3100 Wiki pages. You could postpone all this for another year I guess, I think the first maintenance/repair I did was three years after I got a new Z3100, the same for the Z3200. The first one is 7 years old now, the other one 5. I still print on both.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:06 am »

Eric,

I know you and I think you're suffering from buyer's remorse. Guys like you can't help but get their hands dirty, venturing into areas not intended for mere mortal men.

Sell that printer immediately and get an Epson.   ;D

Ken

p.s.  Congratulations on your new printer!  Knock on wood, my Epson 9900, 9890, and 4800 are rock solid performers. Much thanks to your efforts of past for maintenance tips----an Epson Printer User Maintenance Tips & Guidelines would be a great publication, with many great pieces of advice coming from you.  :)

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »

I'm not saying this has happened on the Z3200 line, maybe HP changed the belt, but it could happen. No need to worry about replacing expensive print heads, they're cheap as chips and last a long time.

The Z3200 still has the crappy belt that disintegrates (at least mine did) and it was a royal pain to replace even following the video. I think I purchased mine in 2009/2010 so it's possible that hp upgraded the belt.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »

Man I forgot to check the "notify me of replies" box.  No idea so much advice awaited.  Thanks guys.  Ernst is a genius but he sounds devious doesn't he?  Leave screws out, use oil from a hobby shop...  We must be brothers from another life.

Thank you very much for the advice and experience everyone.  All useful stuff.  I just feel guilty I think, doing all this printing.  Not looking to cause a stir but I haven't had any problems, and that's weird to me.  I'm adjusting though.

Ken, go take some photos of those Humpback Whales feeding fifty feet off shore in your back yard and post them here for all to see.  Craziness!

jferrari

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »

yikes, don't rouse the epson apologists!!

Alright, what's going on around here... ;D
Nothing changes until something changes.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »

+ on the Z3100 44" Just keeps on ticking after 6 + years. Too bad HP has raised the price of ink, even though it is stingy on ink use. Hint, don't buy replacement heads  until you need them, they go out of date since they are charged with ink. With next day delivery from HP, you won't be down very long. Oh yes, if you start getting slight micro-banding in certain tones with "normal" printing selected, do a nozzle check, and maybe try cleaning. Those heads last a long time, unlike Canon print heads. You sure use a lot of Light Gray ink, about 2X the Gray, Yellow, Matte Black and Red. Happy printing in the land of HP bliss.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

In my six years of Z3100 ownership, I recently calculated that I have run about two football fields worth of fine art prints through my machine, and paid about $30,000 for ink (probably $1000,000+ for substrate).  The accounting is a little difficult because I'm on my third formatter.  One was replaced under service contract, along with over half of my printer's guts (overkill, but I didn't complain, especially since the tech had to fly here, rent a car, and It was all covered by my contract).

In addition, on my list I've replaced a few things myself, after HP service left Hawaii altogether.  Two belts, the right side service station again, a small nylon gear in the paper transport mechanism, and a formatter card were on my nickel. 

In the last month, I finally had my first printhead failure of the type I've read about where the ink colors mix.  First, I started having ink starvation problems in just the light cyan channel after 4' of printing, ruining two large canvas prints.  Then I was only able to print a few inches before the light cyan gave out each time.  Finally, I did a diagnostic print and saw mixing of the light cyan and magenta colors.  That printhead was on me, as it had 4,000ml fired through it and was out of warranty.

Strangely enough, only ten days later I got an error message to reseat a printhead.  Shortly after than, it refused to print.  That one was still under warranty, and HP replaced it for free immediately.

My laundry list might sound bad, but I actually am still thrilled with my decision to buy this printer and consider the failures relatively minor for the usage I've gotten out of it.  I have no doubt that if I had purchased an Epson at the same time that I would be tens of thousands of dollars poorer in ink purchases alone.

I'd be happy to continue carrying the HP torch for some time, except for the fact that they seem to have abandoned 12 color fine art printing.  They are too busy challenging RIM for the most poorly managed tech company, I guess.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:40:01 am »

I've had the same long term great results with the Z3100. Two belts replaced in 7.5 years and that's about it. My heads keep working long after they are "out of warranty", years longer. For a lightweight plug and play machine it has been nothing short of remarkable, especially with black and white and that incredible dmax.

For HP to invent a color inkset with a gamut that good that produces prints of a longevity that is very close to the pigment transfer process (which costs a fortune to produce) is a huge industry innovation. But, most people would never know about it because HPs public relations and advertising toward the people who would care, is almost nonexistent.

Apparently they see the "fine art" market as trivial compared to the "design" market that the are promoting. I do think they will keep one 12 ink high-end photo printer on their roster unless they get out of printing altogether. I saw on Bloomberg that the Wall Street people are advising HP to get out of the printer market altogether and focus on business computing. Maybe they will get on board the 3d printing revolution and put all their r & d there . Who knows. I bet they don't even know. But as long as the Z3200 is on the market they are going to have to continue supplying parts and inks for these machines we are using for many years to come. Just wish they would bring back the twin packs of ink.

john

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »

+one on ink twin packs, especially the light gray!

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 09:49:54 pm »

That's very good ;D  Over the last 11 months mine has needed a new service station, main belt, star wheel motor and gears, main power unit (again) and two new formatting boards (the third and fourth).  Mines right at 7 years.  If it last another 6 months, I'll be happy.  All good printers come to an end.  Does print nice though...and never a clog either.

Jim

jtmiller

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 10:00:25 pm »

My only problem after 3 months is making sure I never(!) define a paper from within PS CS6, rather do it at the spooler level within Windows7. CS6 has "issues" with either Win7 or HPZ3200PS drivers.

Prints, once successful, are magnificent!

jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up