Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A nice mistake with my P45+  (Read 5265 times)

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
A nice mistake with my P45+
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:56:13 am »

Hi,

I had some issues with colour on my P45+. As a background I am a long time Minolta/Sony user with most experience with Lightroom. I mosly use automatic white balance on the Sony, which is slighly coolish compared with white balance from a grey card. Auto white balance on the P45+ seems to be quite erratic, IMHO.

What I have found is that my P45+ conversions suddenly turned ut quite good, and I have found that depended on me setting a decent WB as a default. It is essentially a grey card based white balance. It works very well outdoors, as it keeps the characteristics of evening and morning light.

So I made a mistake, making me a much happier P45+ shooter.

The recepie is in short: Shot a grey card in good light, save it as default WB and use as a starting point. Live a happy life.


Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:00:26 am by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Ken R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 849
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:21 am »

It has been my experience that setting proper white balance is a CRITICAL first step when processing my Phase IQ160 files. The IQ160 is very sensitive to color and even minor changes in WB affect the image quite a bit. With my Canon's it is not as critical since the Canons seem to "blend" slightly different colours more and while setting the proper WB is a good thing it is not as sensitive to minor changes. Why that is I have no idea.
Logged

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1684
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:14 am »

Hi,

I had some issues with colour on my P45+. As a background I am a long time Minolta/Sony user with most experience with Lightroom. I mosly use automatic white balance on the Sony, which is slighly coolish compared with white balance from a grey card. Auto white balance on the P45+ seems to be quite erratic, IMHO.

What I have found is that my P45+ conversions suddenly turned ut quite good, and I have found that depended on me setting a decent WB as a default. It is essentially a grey card based white balance. It works very well outdoors, as it keeps the characteristics of evening and morning light.

So I made a mistake, making me a much happier P45+ shooter.

The recepie is in short: Shot a grey card in good light, save it as default WB and use as a starting point. Live a happy life.


Best regards
Erik


You could take it a step further and have a saved: Early Morning WB/Late Morning WB/Early Afternoon WB/Late Afternoon WB. You could also have 4 sets of these - 1 set for each season, color balance changes during the year. But at that point, it may be easier to just pull your Xrite Passport out of your pocket.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Logged
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:58 am »

Steve,


Theoretically speaking WB and demosaic should commute. In maths jargon this means you can do either first, the other second, getting the same result. In practice they all too often don't.

Yes, the silly season has started. Welcome to the asylum summer party, run by the inmates for the inmates :)

Edmund


You could take it a step further and have a saved: Early Morning WB/Late Morning WB/Early Afternoon WB/Late Afternoon WB. You could also have 4 sets of these - 1 set for each season, color balance changes during the year. But at that point, it may be easier to just pull your Xrite Passport out of your pocket.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:52:25 am by eronald »
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

epines

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 396
    • ethan pines photography
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:28:57 am »

It has been my experience that setting proper white balance is a CRITICAL first step when processing my Phase IQ160 files. The IQ160 is very sensitive to color and even minor changes in WB affect the image quite a bit. With my Canon's it is not as critical since the Canons seem to "blend" slightly different colours more and while setting the proper WB is a good thing it is not as sensitive to minor changes. Why that is I have no idea.

Ken R -- are you talking about getting white balance correct in camera, before you're ever on the computer? I was always under the impression that, with raw files, it made no difference whether you white-balanced in-camera or later, in raw processing. Is this incorrect? I often white balance in-camera, for more accurate viewing at the shoot, but I'd love to know if this makes a difference to the final files.

thanks
ethan

 

Frederic_H

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 156
    • www.fredericharster.com
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:18 pm »

Same experience with my Aptus II back, the 'flash' WB setting makes the colors look way better compared to the daylight WB setting. Took me a while to figure that out after resetting the back to factory default and seeing weird colors for no obvious reasons...
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

Hi,

No, it doesn't work that way. For instance, at sunset there is mixed light. I would not use a WB for sunset, because that would be like daylight. When we used slide film there was daylight film, typically 5500 Kelvin and 3400 K incandescent. I would not use 3400 K film for sunsets, would you?

A small example, I shot a picture with my P45+ at night. With my accidental 5500 white balance it is stunningly beautiful. With the auto white balance of the P45+ I got something like 24000K, looks like crap. The Sony gives something like 7000K. So Sony looks good with automatic white balance and P45+ looks like crap. Using my daylight balanced profile Sony looks acceptable but looks P45+ magnificent.

So, what I found is that having a good white balance, based on old good sunlight, gives me a much better starting point than using AWB (Automatic White Balance) on the P45+.

I have tested the P45+ exposure on Capture One, and it was still crappy. I have not tested Capture One using a decent 5500K daylight colour balance, may be good. (Or I may have tested it and it was still crappy…)

Anyway, what I have found is that making a decent 5500 K greycard shot my starting point I get good colours, at least in LR 5. I don't know about Capture One. I have never made anything useful in that program, sorry. (Even if I find demosaic betterin C1 than in Lightroom).

Actually, I think I have a slight bias in favor of Minolta/Sony rendition in Lightroom. I have used those tools for 8-9 years, that is where I am coming from.

Anyway, this simple change makes me comfortable with my P45+ files, so it is a major step forward for me.

Best regards
Erik


You could take it a step further and have a saved: Early Morning WB/Late Morning WB/Early Afternoon WB/Late Afternoon WB. You could also have 4 sets of these - 1 set for each season, color balance changes during the year. But at that point, it may be easier to just pull your Xrite Passport out of your pocket.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:22:30 am by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:33 pm »

I have always made it a point to carry the x-rite color checker and shoot it in the field during a shoot. I then use the colorchecker in C1 to as a starting point for my grey / white balance. The nice thing about the color checker is all you need is the color it doesn't have to be in great focus. Zoom into the color checker and click on the grey sections.

You can do the the same in the dried as Steve and Erik and Ken.  I have never really gotten the knack of that or when I get one it I don't like the look on the LCD.

I have operated with the assumption that with raw WB is arbitrary since it is a raw file and all value can be adjusted I in post. Having the color checker shot just makes it is much easier and faster to get a good starting point in C1

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for good comments.

I have two observations, one is that daylight shot of the X-rite ColorChecker give normally almost identical colour balance. For instance I have some shots from early June at 2200 m in Italy and some from end of May at sea level in Sweden. Both very close. So it makes sense to me to have a daylight preset.

The other observation is that light is often mixed. In landscape shooting the sunlight is often around 5500K but shadows are often illuminated by skylight, say 9000K. At sunset light is still 9000 K in the shadows, but sunlight is shifted to say around 4000 K. This difference is really what makes sunset shot. Where would I put that CC? In the sunlight or in the very blue shadow? What I found is that the daylight shot of the colour checker card is a very good starting point.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:25:26 am by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

alatreille

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 428
    • Between the Buildings
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:48 pm »

I was recently out shooting with an acquaintance who uses an IQ 160.
He just uses his LCC as his grey card? (+2 stops exposure)

Do any of you use this method?
If not, why not or if so, why?

I'm interested in the benefits or not.

Cheers

Andrew

Typo edited for Steve...;-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:55:47 pm by alatreille »
Logged
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8919
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »

I was recently out shooting with an acquaintance who uses an IQ 160.
He just uses his LLC as his grey card? (+2 stops exposure)

Do any of you use this method?
If not, why not or if so, why?

Hi Andrew,

No, because the world isn't neutral grey. I carry a WhiBal with me as a reference. In fact, the one I bought also came with a miniature version, which hangs from the side of my backpack. Always available.

Cheers,
Bart
Logged
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

douglevy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 368
    • New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 03:59:14 pm »

As a new MF user (<6 mo), and as someone who pretty much uses Kelvin settings on my Nikon 90+% of the time, I was surprised that of  my older p25+ and new credo40 both lack Kelvin. I'm usually setting wb with a gray card, but I thought it funny that the camera has auto/daylight/etc. but no kelvin.

Ken R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 849
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »

Ken R -- are you talking about getting white balance correct in camera, before you're ever on the computer? I was always under the impression that, with raw files, it made no difference whether you white-balanced in-camera or later, in raw processing. Is this incorrect? I often white balance in-camera, for more accurate viewing at the shoot, but I'd love to know if this makes a difference to the final files.

thanks
ethan

 

No, i mentioned "...when processing..", means when on the computer adjusting the RAW files in Capture One. I rarely do WB in camera when using the phase. I might do it when I am working untethered and with a client watching and no access to a laptop. The RAW files stay the same regardless of the in camera WB setting so your assumption is correct. 
Logged

phoTOMgraphy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 110
    • thomas|ebruster|photography
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:33:19 pm »

I was recently out shooting with an acquaintance who uses an IQ 160.
He just uses his LLC as his grey card? (+2 stops exposure)

Do any of you use this method?
If not, why not or if so, why?

I'm interested in the benefits or not.


i did this usually, when processing my hasselblad files in phocus. it worked very well - always gave natural colors.
but since i use lightroom as my main tool i can't do it this way, because the dng-flat-field-plugin doesn't let me set the wb on the lcc shot.
tried to ask eric chan if it would be possible for a future version, but never got an answer ;-(

 
Logged
thomasebruster.com
Arca Rm3di | SK43 | RS28 | CFV-50[

Theodoros

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2454
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:10 pm »

Erik... do you mean that you was wrong all this time about how worthless of the extra cost was P45+ over your Sony? ...have you advised all these readers wrong all this time? ...Imagine if using P45+ with LR proves to be a disaster in comparison of developing the images with C1P1... Imagine then...
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:21 pm »

No,

I have found a better starting point for processing my P45+ images using, essentially by creating a 'daylight-preset', which I found works with many images.

This page is good info on my experience with the P45+: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/80-my-mfd-journey-summing-up .

Just for your information, I have used Capture 1. It doesn't work for me. I have found some issues with LR where Capture One makes a better job, check here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=91785.0

This link also gives some interesting insight: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/590553-post7.html


Best regards
Erik



Erik... do you mean that you was wrong all this time about how worthless of the extra cost was P45+ over your Sony? ...have you advised all these readers wrong all this time? ...Imagine if using P45+ with LR proves to be a disaster in comparison of developing the images with C1P1... Imagine then...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:24:11 am by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:36 am »

Hi,

LLC is intended for correction of lens colour cast. To use it for white balance it would be needed to be turned towards the light source. Shooting a grey card is much simpler. But, if a LLC  is used is used as grey reference, you can just take a white balance on the LLC shot and copy to the real image.

AFAIK LLC only works with DNG-files in LR, this was the case I checked latest.

Best regards
Erik

i did this usually, when processing my hasselblad files in phocus. it worked very well - always gave natural colors.
but since i use lightroom as my main tool i can't do it this way, because the dng-flat-field-plugin doesn't let me set the wb on the lcc shot.
tried to ask eric chan if it would be possible for a future version, but never got an answer ;-(

 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:59:57 am by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Chris Livsey

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 807
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:15 am »

I understood, and therefore may be in error, that the LCC captured the colour cast produced by the lens at the settings used for that scene. The result will therefore, by definition, be coloured, it will not be neutral and will therefore not give an accurate white balance reading?

Supplementary question: White balance "pickers" select a small pixel sample. If using a grey target would a larger sample increase accuracy or is good enough good enough?

PS. On my P20 I shoot balanced to flash outdoors and find that the best starting point, often the finishing point as well.

Logged

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 07:31:10 am »

I understood, and therefore may be in error, that the LCC captured the colour cast produced by the lens at the settings used for that scene. The result will therefore, by definition, be coloured, it will not be neutral and will therefore not give an accurate white balance reading?

Supplementary question: White balance "pickers" select a small pixel sample. If using a grey target would a larger sample increase accuracy or is good enough good enough?

PS. On my P20 I shoot balanced to flash outdoors and find that the best starting point, often the finishing point as well.



I guess it's a three step process: first time you use the LCC to give the software information about color shading across the sensor. This the software internalises somewhere with a shading compensation file. Then you process the LCC image with itself as color shading compensation which should make it uniform, and then you decide which shade this "uniform white" should be, at which point you have a set of color multipliers which I guess is what a white balance is.  

The problem as I see it is that there is now reason to assume that the LCC shot should be "white" or "grey". If I take an image of sea-sky through the LCC, it should be blue, of a forest, it should be green. The LCC shot consists of an average of light reflected from the scene, only if you make the grey world assumption does this relate directly to the illuminant. Of course, if you point the LCC plate at the sky and use it as an incident light meter then everything should work.

I'm trying to be helpful here, this ping pong process needs geek-type thinking, not photographic understanding.

All of this is just a guess; at this point I find digital photography is turning into incomprehensible alchemy a bit like chemical photography back in the days when.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:40:20 am by eronald »
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1684
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: A nice mistake with my P45+
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 10:05:37 am »

First, it is LCC, not LLC!  :D

I don't really see the challenge of white balancing and whether using an LCC as a white balance card makes sense. Am I oversimplifying this? I don't know. But the LCC itself is not spectrally neutral, so can it work as a white balance tool, yes, but to a degree, the same that your macbook pro or some copy paper might work. It's usually at least better than a scene default white balance in terms of a starting point (certainly for digital backs). And yes you can click on an area of the LCC that is not impacted (or at least is minimally impacted) by the color cast, which is usually restricted more to one side.

But why would it not be just as easy to have an Xrite Passport or a WhiBal in your pocket to set white balance?


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Logged
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up