Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 Bug?  (Read 1917 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Lightroom 5 Bug?
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:35:17 pm »

I recently started using Lightroom 5 with version 5.5. At first, things seemed okay. All of a sudden, when importing, on its own, Lightroom seems to be applying some sort of develop preset, even though I don't have one selected. Furthermore, when I click reset in the Quick Develop box, the settings momentarily reset and then go back to the unwanted develop settings. I have the impression that Lightroom has taken the develop settings that I once did for a particular photo (for which I never created a preset) and is now applying these settings to all photos on import. Not insurmountable, but it takes a few extra steps to fix and is annoying. I am on a Mac if that matters. Never seen or heard about anything like this happening with any version of Lightroom.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom 5 Bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:50:24 pm »

All of a sudden, when importing, on its own, Lightroom seems to be applying some sort of develop preset, even though I don't have one selected.
Could the default be different? Go into Develop module. Type Alt/Option key and notice the change of the big "Reset" button, lower right. Click Set Defaults..., then Restore Adobe Default Settings. Better, different?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:29:53 pm »

when importing, on its own, Lightroom seems to be applying some sort of develop preset,

Hi,

Might it be that when you import LR displays the embeded jpeg and after a while it applies the default raw processing?

Some times the difference can be huge.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:47:28 pm »

In Develop Module, on the left hand side, look at the history panel.  If nothing shows there (other than Import) then there probably isn't any preset applied.  Also, in the Basic Panel on the top of the right hand side, all the sliders should be in the middle if no preset has been applied.

As Francisco said, most likely you're seeing the normal process.  At first, Lightroom briefly shows the jpeg preview that's embedded in the file.  This will be the same "look" as the camera maker's normal jpeg processing.  Then Lightroom shows you its own rendering of the image. 

Are you shooting raw?  If so, remember that every raw convertor does it slightly differently.  There's no single "right" way to render a raw file.  Adobe default rendering is their profile called "Adobe Standard", but Adobe also provides "Camera..." profiles (Camera Standard, Camera Landscape etc) for Nikon, Canon and a few other camera makes, and these profiles are designed to mimic the corresponding profiles from the camera makers. 

If you want use these, then in Develop Module, if you go to the Camera Calibration tab (bottom right), see if there's a choice for "Profile".  If so choose the one that's closest to the picture profile setting in your camera (Standard, Landscape or whatever).  That will probably be close the preview you see briefly. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »

Might it be that when you import LR displays the embeded jpeg and after a while it applies the default raw processing?
But then this wouldn't apply would it?
Furthermore, when I click reset in the Quick Develop box, the settings momentarily reset and then go back to the unwanted develop settings.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:26:12 pm »

I guess you are right Andrew, maybe something is corrupted.

To the OP. you can try resetting the presets by going to Edit->preferences and selecting "Reset all default develop settings" in the presets tab

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:27 am »

Could the default be different? Go into Develop module. Type Alt/Option key and notice the change of the big "Reset" button, lower right. Click Set Defaults..., then Restore Adobe Default Settings. Better, different?

That worked.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up