Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Decisions  (Read 3191 times)

etrexler

Digital Decisions
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:52:40 am »

I'm making the switchover from MF film (Mamiya) to digital and strongly leaning towards Canon since MF Digital is so pricey and I think that I can meet my image requirements with current 35mm full frame format digital.

I'm switching over right now because I'm still not happy with the quality of scans I can make.  I have a Nikon ED-8000 scanner which now needs repair work or replacement and don't relish the thought of that.

The dilema is that I don't want to purchase 2 year old techology in the form of the 5D or the 1Ds series when Canon has to have something coming up on the near-term horizon, but I need a camera until that occurs.  I don't require two bodies or I'd probably just spring for a 5D now.

Thoughts?  Any hint as to when Canon may actually release something?  I figured summer and then 2-3 months until you can actually pick something up.

Thanks,

Eric

ddolde

Digital Decisions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:29:04 pm »

Here is an idea...perhaps you already have Mamiya 645 lenses.  

https://digitaltransitions.com/promo/q4_promo.htm

howiesmith

Digital Decisions
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:27 pm »

I'm making the switchover from MF film (Mamiya) to digital and strongly leaning towards Canon since MF Digital is so pricey and I think that I can meet my image requirements with current 35mm full frame format digital.

I'm switching over right now because I'm still not happy with the quality of scans I can make.  I have a Nikon ED-8000 scanner which now needs repair work or replacement and don't relish the thought of that.

The dilema is that I don't want to purchase 2 year old techology in the form of the 5D or the 1Ds series when Canon has to have something coming up on the near-term horizon, but I need a camera until that occurs.  I don't require two bodies or I'd probably just spring for a 5D now.

Thoughts?  Any hint as to when Canon may actually release something?  I figured summer and then 2-3 months until you can actually pick something up.
Thanks,

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps a used body with some life left.  It might fill in until your expected Canon ship comes in and serve as a backup after that.  Hopefully, one lens outfit will fit both.

michaelnotar

Digital Decisions
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 05:45:06 pm »

Perhaps a used body with some life left.  It might fill in until your expected Canon ship comes in and serve as a backup after that.  Hopefully, one lens outfit will fit both.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi
i am selling my 1ds mark2 on ebay right now, i love it but i finally got some money for a MF back.
i think holding on to a8MP canon is worth it, but would consider other choices for more res.
many people dont like the canon wide angle lenses. i personally have shot canon since day one and love the system. i would really like to see canon develop some digital glass for their cameras, and what the future holds for canon doesnt intrigue me. i think the format is preatty much maxed out for res now.

that P20 would be a great choice, even cropped down. i have often heard that a lower MP MF back is a much better file than a 1ds2.

cant beat the big viewfinder on 645...the canon sometimes gives me problems..even the MF backs that have a 1.3 crop on them is not that bad of a crop, just a little on the edge, the 1.1x crop backs are practically FF 645, just a hairline literally.

one the Phase one line the P30, P21 are 1.3x, the P 25, P45 are 1.1x.

save the 1ds money towards a back and a good 8MP rig for the moment will get you by.

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
Digital Decisions
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:16:50 am »

"The dilema is that I don't want to purchase 2 year old techology in the form of the 5D..."

The 5D debutted one year ago--not 2 years ago--and is still cutting edge image quality. Plus it is the only FF camera in its class. It wouldn't surprise me if a 5D MK II was in the works for Fall 2007. However, if you can't wait, and want the newest thing--albeit not the best--go for the Rebel XTi. Personally I find the 5D not wanting of much in terms of image quality and performance. I wouldn't mind ECF and DEP mode but those are minor grips. Its image quality bests quality scans of MF so I don't think you'll be disappointed several years out.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:21:19 am by gochugogi »
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try
Pages: [1]   Go Up