Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help in choosing good landscape lens (and camera)  (Read 8285 times)

matoqui

• M. Toledo Photography
Re: Help in choosing good landscape lens (and camera)
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 12:59:51 pm »

The benefit of the 36mp in the a7r will be apparent if you print larger than 16"x24". FF will also give you shallower depth of field, but for landscapes that might be less important. Also the 36mp can tolerate quite a bit of cropping and still have adequate resolution. If your prints will be 16"x24" or less, I think a better choice is a camera with a smaller sensor. My choice would be a 16mp Fuji (x-e1, x-e2 or x-t1) because their lenses are excellent and the cameras are very nice. They also are lighter, smaller and less expensive. I have a d800, an x-e1 and an x-e2, and the fujis get a lot more use. I do use an iShoot L-bracket on the x-e2 that in my opinion improves handling substantially.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »

I was actually going to suggest the Nikon 14-24mm however I've just realised that (weirdly) you can buy it cheaper in the UK than in the US. As such unlike in the UK, the 16-35 f4 with Metabones adaptor is actually cheaper.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »

Hi folks!
I have pretty much decided to go for the A7R camera...I will be buying the 55mm 1.8 lens together with it.

OK, enjoy the new camera.

I hope you won't run into the trouble that this gentlemen is current reporting about here at LL: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=91415.0

If I were you I would also consider the a7 instead of the a7r. You may end up with less grey hair and better actual image quality in some cases and will keep more cash for lenses (at least here in Tokyo the a7 can be had new for 1,200 US$).

Cheers,
Bernard

stever

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:51 am »

with Nikon providing 1st curtain electronic shutter for the 810, it would be surprising if there isn't a A7R mkii pretty soon 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 01:06:48 am »

Hi,

I would wait a couple of months, if possible. Photokina is around the corner so I expect that a lot of new products will be released. I would think that the Sony A7r was rushed to market and it is probably due for an update. Or some other new equipment from Nikon, Canon or whoever.

Nikon D810 has electronic first curtain, which would help the A7r a lot. Keep in mind that an EFC also makes the camera much more responsive.

Most folks are happy with their A7r, although the shutter related vibration is a demonstrable problem, still many don't observe it. May be it is more measurable than noticeable. Well, on the link Bernard posted it was obviously very noticeable.

Personally, I decided against the A7/A7r. Why?

- I don't feel the system is mature
- The A7r has neither EFC, on sensor phase detecting AF or OLP filter. I definitively want all of that. The A7 has all of that.

So, I wait till Photokina and decide on long term planning when I have seen what is around the corner.

By the way, I am a long time Sony shooter, Minolta before that.

Best regards
Erik

I hope you won't run into the trouble that this gentlemen is current reporting about here at LL: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=91415.0

If I were you I would also consider the a7 instead of the a7r. You may end up with less grey hair and better actual image quality in some cases and will keep more cash for lenses (at least here in Tokyo the a7 can be had new for 1,200 US$).

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:12:22 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:50 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Macro isn't landscape. If you keep under 85mm and out of the danger zone in the shutter speeds it's not a problem. Neither should be at all a problem for a landscape shooter.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:10 am »

Macro isn't landscape. If you keep under 85mm and out of the danger zone in the shutter speeds it's not a problem. Neither should be at all a problem for a landscape shooter.

Great then.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:27 am »

I shoot landscapes with the A7R and have zero issues with it. I find any little issue get blown out on the I ternet...many times by people that have never used the camera.

For landscape work, the A7R is a magnificent camera delivering simply superb images when used with high quality lens.

MrSmith

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »

the only issue i have with the A7r is battery life, it goes through them quite quickly, i put up with that as it’s was the best camera to use my canon TS-e lenses on for a minimal outlay and i didn’t get on with the nikon live view. that and it was a factory refurb for £1k so/if when canon release a high mp body worth buying it will be relegated to studio/tripod only use on a cambo actus.
compared to MFD these bodies are throwaway items.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »

Bernard's got it.  If landscapes are your thing, today Nikon is the game - with (very) few notable exceptions.  If you cannot afford a D8x0, get a D6x0.

And to the gentleman who asked 'why FF?' the answer is DR and spatial resolution, aka quality of shadows and sharpness at base ISO.

Jack
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:15:04 pm by Jack Hogan »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up