Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wanting to improve my printing  (Read 801 times)

bwana

wanting to improve my printing
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:55 am »

Although I can push the print button in photoshop and get an acceptable print out of my 3800, I want to know how much better my prints could be. I have a calibrated wide gamut monitor, I use a canned color profile for the media i print on (smooth pearl) but I don't have the ability to make a custom profile for my printer (although I don't really know how much that would improve the image). I do not have a solux lamp or a viewing booth. Images are framed behind non glare glass (from Michael's craft store). Most of the images are on walls and lighting conditions are business fluorescents or reflected daylight. Yes I know, real photographers display naked with purposefully installed led lamps, but I am just a humble person. With this in mind, I have read and read (and understood less and less) as the mind boggling details of WYSIWYG printing just seem to grow exponentially with every thread I read here (and elsewhere).

After a while of staring at different prints of the same image, I feel like Alice in Wonderland. Are the differences I am seeing real? Some days I see them, and some days I convince myself they are trivial. I wish I could tell myself 'THIS PICTURE IS THE RIGHT ONE'.  So I guess I should just spend the dollars to get a picture or two properly printed by a custom lab that does a good job. Any recommendations?

Another route I could take is a workshop. I live near Boston so any suggestions or good experiences would be appreciated.

Some Guy

Re: wanting to improve my printing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:18 am »

Go to the x-rite website and look at their videos on color management.  Some are very good.

I bought a bunch of their gear and finally settled in on their i1 PhotoPro 2 to set up all the papers and inks I buy.  I use non-OEM inks so it was necessary to buy something since manufacturer's profiles will be different with the less expensive inks.  The ColorMunki Photo is also highly regarded and easier to understand and fun to use, along with less paper in the above for calibration.

Depends on how serious you are and if the costs justify the purchases.  The ColorMunki Photo (~$450) paid of itself in a year using OCP inks in my Canon.  Refills for it cost me about 35 cents a cart verses $17 for a new OEM cartridge.  It adds up quick if you go through only one cart a week.

SG

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:38 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on custom profiles, as the canned profiles especially Canson, Canon and Epson tend to be spot on.  I create custom profiles with the xrite eye1 profile software (publish), but still find I can't best most of the canned profiles.  I also find the profiles created by Breathing Color for canvas and matte paper to excellent.

Pick up a copy of the Shewe's "The Digital Print", great place to start.  Consider printing from LR instead of Photoshop. 

Not sure about "real photographers" and LED lamps.  I have never done that, probably never will.  I display glazed, non-glare when it's the right look, and Tru Vue CC glass.  All glazing that is not (non-glare) will pick up room lights, however the fluorescent lights are the worst most times as they are big and square. 

You might also consider canvas, largest size @ 17", on your printer, so you could easily get 16 x 20's and mount to gator and place in a nice frame.  Very nice look and lend to triptych's very well. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:27 pm »

I do not have a solux lamp or a viewing booth.
You do need to address that, probably early on as without a good way to view the prints next to the display, it's difficult to achieve WYSIWYG.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up