Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing what is only there in my mind  (Read 5980 times)

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
Photographing what is only there in my mind
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:40:33 am »

I put this image together after spending several days in the Pilliga Forest in New South Wales. It is one of those places that can get into one's imagination.

Here is one of the images that was born in my imagination.

Any comments harsh or otherwise are welcome - we all see the world differently.

Mal
Australia

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:57:40 am »

A truly creative mixed media work! Well-conceived and executed. It certainly causes me to stop, take notice and ponder.

Some may find the hand prints contrived. Photographic purists will poo-poo the use of another medium. I find the addition of the handprints adds depth of meaning to the work. Your use of the different hues is excellent. However the handprints are noticeably "simpler" than the photograph. They seem like "cut-outs" and might benefit from some added texture to make them slightly more tactile, to more truly recreate the essence of being on the rock face. The translucency helps, but I think added texture would complement the detail of the rest of the work.

You seem to have a clear notion of what you are after; nicely done.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:18:36 am »

Keep going with this concept. You may be on to something.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

I agree. Thoughtful and effective.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:18:26 am »

I like it, Mal, though it's not really my cuppa tea. I wish I could see it in a larger format. The version on this thread is a bit cramped. The almost invisible figure at camera right make me think "Gauguin."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »

"They seem like "cut-outs" and might benefit from some added texture to make them slightly more tactile, to more truly recreate the essence of being on the rock face. The translucency helps, but I think added texture would complement the detail of the rest of the work."

Quote from Terry

Thank you everyone for your constructive input.

The photograph was taken with an IQ180 and the actual print size is 36 inches by 18 inches - so plenty of detail.
I agree regarding the cut out impression the hand prints make at present - you are quite astute because these prints are a concept mock up for the final work.

The idea is to take a sheet of acrylic and to hand print the images onto the acrylic using my families hand prints from large size down to the two year olds - then the finished work will be sort of a visual sandwich - print, then matt, then acrylic, then another matt, then non reflective glass - all framed of course.

With my images I want the process of creating the image to be organic rather than contrived - so invariably the image grows out of a process of drawing, photography, reading, thinking and just good old fashioned meditation.

Thank you once again for your responses.

Mal

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:55:26 pm »

I like it.  Has an Aborigine look.

luxborealis

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

With my images I want the process of creating the image to be organic rather than contrived - so invariably the image grows out of a process of drawing, photography, reading, thinking and just good old fashioned meditation.

Brilliant!

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:53:21 pm »

Terry

Thank You.

Here is another image I made, where I got the feeling of this old Supplejack Tree's essence being flung out into the universe from where it had come - It was like a fountain in my mind. So I did one really sharp image and then overlaid a series of individual slow shutter camera shots where I moved the camera to caress the branch groups to capture the movement that I wanted. Then a good deal of Photoshop to finish the process. This is an example of how my process ends up working.

Regards

Mal

wmchauncey

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:58 pm »

Mal, I lack your creatively, but...don't allow myself to be deterred from cheating.  I take a picture of a flower>display it on my monitor>
park a water droplet in front of the monitor>leisurely take the shot from the comfort of my desk.    ;D
The things you do for yourself die with

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »

I really don't consider my self a photographer, I think of my self as an image maker - you take the flower, you want your image to have a water drop, fine you make your image have one - some people want just one capture point, and that is the way they make their image.

I don't want to infer that my images happened in the real world, they happen in my head.

Cheers

Mal

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:49 pm »

Wonderful images, Mal!

To me it's only of minor interest that a camera is a useful tool in your image-making bag. The images are what matter.

I hope you'll post the final version of the Pilliga Forest image once the family handprints are in place.

luxborealis

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:00 am »

This is reinforcing the notion that what the camera/machine captures in a raw file is not an end product, but rather a beginning - in many ways it's the sketch that we then transform into that creative, expressive finished work our mind sees and compels us to work towards.

I wish I had your creativity, Mal - it's wonderful to see and is certainly an inspiration. In many ways, I still live by the Adam's notion of the "straight" photograph that accentuates the unique aspects of a photograph as a photograph and not as a pseudo-painting. Over the years, I've come to realize that he was just reacting to the pictorialist movement that preceded him. Photography has so much more to offer with or without mixed media and you are helping to lead the way. Thank you!

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:50:51 am »

This is reinforcing the notion that what the camera/machine captures in a raw file is not an end product, but rather a beginning - in many ways it's the sketch that we then transform into that creative, expressive finished work our mind sees and compels us to work towards.

I couldn't have said it better.
Cameras and their raw files are more and more becoming art supplies, somewhat like the paints in an artist's drawer.

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »

In many ways, I still live by [the] Adams's notion of the "straight" photograph…

When you comment about "photographic purists" are you talking about how you would have felt previously?

"Welcome to Oz" ;-)

When someone sees this image for the first time, I frequently hear, "I've seen that… but I've never been able to photograph it." Then they tell me that I'm the luckiest photographer in the world for having been at the right spot at the right moment to capture it. In reality, this image is made up of nine images shot over an hour and a half. What actually happened is that first, the rainbow appeared in a cloudless, fogless sky. Then the ray of light hit the bridge, after which the fog rolled in and the clouds appeared. …

What I strive to do … is combine a series of "now" moments into one image that will be seen by the viewer as a single "now."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:16:03 pm by Isaac »

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »

I see a fine line that maybe moves, maybe thin and clear then maybe soft and blurred - that line is the line between being inspired by something someone else has done AND just copying what they have done and fooling myself into thinking I have become creative.

Who is to say where that line lays - perhaps for everyone it is different.

I try to stay as much as possible on my own side but perhaps I am only deceiving myself. I guess I would say I copy mother nature and when I am inspired by other peoples work, I try to let the inspiration draw more out of my intuition rather than trying to reproduce what they have done so well. Of course I probably cross the line way too often, but I do try not to.

Mal

BobDavid

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:16 am »

It all boils down to whether or not an image is successful or not. I think the "tree" has some strengths and weaknesses. Still, I think as far as exploration goes, it's an excellent beginning. Keep it up.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 01:10:16 am »

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to view my images and for your comments.

Here is another image which I explored in my mind the idea of how my memory is eroded over time.
This is a composite photo and drawing done on location.

I am not sure what you felt was lacking in the Supplejack Tree, but in the image's defence I think when you view the framed print on a lightly textured art paper at 36 inches wide the fine detail that underpin the broad washes of colour may soften some of your concerns, then again maybe not.

Mal

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 12:22:25 pm »

Mal,

This new one, the "memory tree," is superb, visceral, powerful!

Ditto to everything Terry said.

Eric

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 02:46:24 pm »

Mal,

This new one, the "memory tree," is superb, visceral, powerful!

Ditto to everything Terry said.

Eric

Ditto. Nicely done. Serves to nicely illustrate how creative vision and post processing can yield a highly successful image. The more I see excellent images like this the more displeased I am with the obvious canned filter effects beginners are using.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up