Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall Decor  (Read 6207 times)

wmchauncey

Wall Decor
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:34 pm »

I don't want to delve into the debate as to whether or not "photography is art" but...
I was pondering the fact that that vast number of hotels/motels/upper end homes use anything but photography for wall décor.
Using that Google thing seems to bear me out, as photography is ignored when you seek popular wall décor.
The same applies to the works of upper end professional decorators.

Why??   ???
The things you do for yourself die with

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Wall Decor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Good question.

Is it because a cheap poster of a painting still looks "richer" or more upscale than a cheap poster of a photograph?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:02 pm »

… the fact that that vast number of hotels/motels/upper end homes use anything but photography for wall décor … photography is ignored when you seek popular wall décor.

That you fail to find something using Internet search is a long long way from demonstrating your "fact".

wmchauncey

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:24:53 pm »

That you fail to find something using Internet search is a long long way from demonstrating your "fact".
Here I've made the assumption that if it's on the internet...it's gotta be factual.     ;D

But, I do hope that you can you demonstrate that I'm incorrect?     :-\
The things you do for yourself die with

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »

If I am not mistaken, Hampton Inn chain has nice, big, square b&w photographs in their reception and common areas. Do not remember rooms.

But on a more general note, no matter how much we might protest, the general public's view still is that photography is a lesser art.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:30:18 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:16:38 pm »

Right, Slobodan. We frequently stay in Hamptons on our trips to and from Florida. I'm even a Hampton Silver VIP member. Unfortunately I haven't seen a Hampton room with photographs, but many of the B&Ws in their public areas are very, very good. And it's true that the great unwashed just don't get it when it comes to art.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »

I guess this is turning into a Hampton Inn advertisement. But with good reason. I love the B/W photography there. The last few had b/w in the rooms as well. All excellent work, nicely framed. They have also upgraded their free breakfast menu to include all my favorites. Nice rooms too -- and competitive prices for what you get. I'll have to look into their frequent user programs.

On topic: I do have several designers who use my work occasionally. Mainly in medical facilities with my more "quiet" and "peaceful" images. I'm sure they use just a small fraction of photographs in their placements. Maybe it's because photography is so real and literal?

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »

But, I do hope that you can you demonstrate that I'm incorrect?

I have no interest in working to demonstrate that you're incorrect.

Perhaps you missed "Designers See Hotels as Blank Canvas".

As pure speculation, I'd expect to see large family photographs in homes (at least in the private rooms) and, just for the sake of variety, that may mean other forms of decor will be chosen for other areas.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:34:03 pm by Isaac »

stamper

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:36:54 am »

When you are sneaking into a hotel/motel late at night with a lady "friend" then you don't notice or care what is hung on the wall, as long as it isn't a cctv camera? ;)

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:28:09 am »

And it's true that the great unwashed just don't get it when it comes to art.

One day the bartender decided that he wanted to see what all the fuss was about and visited the show in the company of several artists. They expected him to be bewildered by Duchamp's Nude, but instead he stood a long time before the canvas and said with apparent sincerity, "Well, that fellow certainly knows how to paint."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:01 am »

My wife and I stayed in a Marriot on the Canadian side overlooking Niagara Falls.  They had some wonderful photos taken of the falls in our room, the kind I wish I had taken. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:44 am »

When you are sneaking into a hotel/motel late at night with a lady "friend" then you don't notice or care what is hung on the wall, as long as it isn't a cctv camera? ;)

Ha! Russ, I think Stamper uncovered the secret behind your Silver VIP status! ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:59 am »

At 84? Not lately, my friend.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

lumiway

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 02:57:34 am »

I was in a tiny Andalucian resturant last week. THey had some very "artsy" photos of the village under snow (a rare occurrence I suppose). THey were actually very good photos that were also printed well on board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up