Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Pre-Buy 20D Questions  (Read 2626 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
New Pre-Buy 20D Questions
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:42:55 pm »

THESE QUESTIONS HAVE NOW BEEN ANSWERED SATISFACTORILY. I WILL START ONE LAST THREAD BEFORE I PURCHASE--Just to make sure. Please post any comments there.

You're all probably tired of my 20D questions, but I'm nearly there economically and can order tommorrow if I wanted. I called in my outstanding debtors and they all paid promptly today.

Thus, again, I want to be thorough so I don't spend 3300.00 only to be dissapointed, or some other letdown, right after I get the camera. You have all answered my questions quite satisfactorily in my other posts. Thank you for that

I'll try to keep this down to three questions, or at least very short questions:

(1) Does the 20D have a "movable" focal point, like the F828 has? (It allows you to compose the image, and then move the focal point with the joystick without moving the camera.)

(2) The 20D does not have a live LCD. Is this standard with other DSLR's of that level, or any level? Incidentally, the F828 does have a live LCD, and thus is easy to compose with. I will greatly miss that option, but I know I get a greatly superior camera too.

(3) What are other things you can think of that will eventually spring out at me after using the F828 that may seem problematic to me? (Except my heart attack when I print a 12 x 18 at 800 ISO and have it look perfect.)

(4) When I use the F828 in its best mode, which is 8MP at 3:2 aspect ratio, and I resize/resample the image to 12 x 18 in PSCS2, I get 181 PPI. I've heard that the 20D prints up to 16x20 with 35MM quality. However, at 12 x 18 and 181 PPI, that seems impossible. What am I missing here?

(5) How well would the 20D do in a contest of shallow DOF using the same lens as a standard 35MM film camera? (Think percentage wise.) I know I've been beating this subject, but I really need a comparison here, so let's use a 35MM camera. Let's say the lens is something like a 28-50 F2.8 lens. Come up with your own lenses if you have a better comparison in mind.

As always, thanks to all of you here. I'm getting that 20D feeling.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 12:28:23 am »

1) You mean a moveable AF point? If so then no. The 20D has 9 points to choose from though.

2) No live LCD and no D-SLR in existence have them (the f828 is not a DSLR).

3) The 20D has a noisy mirror. You'll love having an optical viewfinder over the LCD on the 828

4) Both cameras have the same MP rating but have different aspect ratios. the 828 is 1.33 and the 20D is 1.5

5) it'll have slightly more DOF. Use a DOF calculator for specifics.

dwdallam

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 02:26:28 am »

1) You mean a moveable AF point? If so then no. The 20D has 9 points to choose from though.

3) The 20D has a noisy mirror. You'll love having an optical viewfinder over the LCD on the 828

4) Both cameras have the same MP rating but have different aspect ratios. the 828 is 1.33 and the 20D is 1.5

5) it'll have slightly more DOF. Use a DOF calculator for specifics.

First, thanks for taking the time to reply:

On the focal point not being moveable, I understand that. You have no idea how nice that moveable focal point is unless you have gotten to use one and get reliant upon it. I thought it was gimmikie when I first used it, and then a transformation took place and that is all that I use when on a tripod. Anyway. . .point taken on that.

Right F828 is not a DSLR, and it's good to hear that live LCDs are not standard across the board.

The 20D has a noisy mirror? And yes I used a friends Cannon Rebel that uses a TTL viewfinder, and I found it incredibly soothing after having only the LCD viewfinder. Noisy mirror. . .tsk tsk. So in this instance, how problematic is that for the camera's picture quality?

You mean slightly less? The 20D can produce a slightly shallower DOF? If so, that's not really encouraging. That must be miles away from what a 35mm film camera can do.

I do not have any way to convert and calculate how shallow the DoF will look using the DoF calculator. I'll ned to read up on the terminology.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 03:06:21 am »

The 20D has a noisy mirror? And yes I used a friends Cannon Rebel that uses a TTL viewfinder, and I found it incredibly soothing after having only the LCD viewfinder. Noisy mirror. . .tsk tsk. So in this instance, how problematic is that for the camera's picture quality?
It has no effect on picture quality. It's just an audible thing that may be a distraction in certain situations.

You mean slightly less? The 20D can produce a slightly shallower DOF?
Not shallower, think the other direction. And it's not hugely different than 35mm.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:27:11 am »

For DOF calculation, check out this spreadsheet, which you can use to compare DOF you can get with various cameras & lenses.

dwdallam

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 07:16:42 pm »

For DOF calculation, check out this spreadsheet, which you can use to compare DOF you can get with various cameras & lenses.
Jonathan,

Can you take a picture of a person at about 5 feet and show me how shallow you can get the background with your 20D, using any lens you want? That would speak volumes that numbers cannot.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 07:44:40 pm »

Jonathan,

Can you take a picture of a person at about 5 feet and show me how shallow you can get the background with your 20D, using any lens you want? That would speak volumes that numbers cannot.
20D, 300mm, f/5.6, distance about 6 ft.

Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

dwdallam

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 09:44:57 pm »

Jonathan,

20D, 300mm, f/5.6, distance about 6 ft.

That's sweet. Thanks.

macgyver

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 05:47:25 pm »

The 20Da (astrophotography variant) does.  Almost certian.

dwdallam

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 07:32:04 pm »

The 20Da (astrophotography variant) does.  Almost certian.
If it does, could I use it for regular photography? I'll check that out right now.

There is a review on DPREVIEW.COM

"Canon has today announced that its specialized EOS 20Da which was at first introduced as a Japan Only model will now be available in the rest of the world. The EOS 20Da is identical to the EOS 20D except for a modification to the low-pass filter. This camera is best suited to astrophotography as well as InfraRed photography (not according to Canon USA). It would be possible to use it as a normal camera but would require an external IR cut filter. In addition the camera has a partially transmissive mirror which enables live focusing on the LCD monitor (this can only be done for short times and requires the mirror to be locked up). Pricing has not yet been announced. UPDATE: The recommended retail price has been announced as £1,829.99 (€2,549.99)."

"While traditional digital SLRs lack a live preview on the LCD monitor due to the reflex mirror and shutter, the EOS 20Da digital SLR resolves this issue by locking up the mirror and opening the shutter to display a magnified live view of the subject on the 1.8” LCD monitor. (This feature is effective for night viewing conditions only. It cannot be used in bright light.)"
Pages: [1]   Go Up