Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GF670W thoughts?  (Read 6998 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Fuji GF670W thoughts?
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »

Does anyone have any experiences with this camera? Am I crazy for wanting this camera? The price is certainly insane, but if I could find one in good condition, or have a temporary moment of insanity, does anyone have an experience with it? any thoughts on how it compares to a Mamiya 7? It certainly seems more compact. Would love the input...

Thanks,
BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Joe Towner

Re: Fuji GF670W thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 12:39:49 am »

Have you been watching DigitalRev recently?  Only downside I've read is making sure it's at the far end of focus when closing it.

Keep in mind these guys are intentionally outrageous...
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/how-to-get-bigger-than/MjI2MDA1NTEy
t: @PNWMF

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:21:24 am »

The price is a little insane. Different horse in the same race: I just bought a H1 with two film backs (one with zero activations) with 80mm HC lens, 3,000 activations on the body, for the same money.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:15:20 am »

If you've got cash to burn, buy it. That way you'll get it out of your system.

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

They're nice cameras, but don't be too rough with them. I've heard more than a few stories of mis-aligned lenses due to the cameras being tossed into a bag or onto a car seat.

Personally, I'd go for one of the GW670II/III rangefinders. Fixed lens and larger physically, but no bellows to worry about pinholes in, and you can probably get one in top condition for ~$400 or so.

ned

My 2 cents
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 03:16:41 pm »

I have 3 Fuji Rangefinders, GF670, GW690III and GA645Zi

I've had the GF670 for less than 6 months, so far so good. No issues other than user error.  When I first got it I noticed my images were slightly out of focus. I suspected that the rangefinder was out of adjustment. Turns out it was me. Using my thumb to focus is harder than turning a lens ring, at least for me so it takes getting used to. I don't have any issues remembering to put the lens back to infinity. Even if you do forget, once you start to close it you can feel the resistance. If your trying to slam it closed they you might have problems. Oh, and it has a meter which is nice.

The ...Zi is a great camera IMO. Some have issues with the ribbon cable, mine has been fine so far. Camera has a meter (bonus) has auto-focus (bonus) not the fastest auto-focus, but...it's has it. Pop up flash works well. Zoom range is limited, going from wide to not so wide but nowhere near a telephoto. You can even hand it to a stranger for those times when you want a group pic with you actually in the group!

My favorite of the three is the 690III. Even though the range finder patch is smaller and dimmer than the GF, I actually find it easier to focus than the GF. I think it's because turning the lens ring just seems more natural. And those 6x9 negatives are wonderful. No battery, no hassles. Well, only hassle is the built in lens hood. My is straight and it still is an adventure each time I want to retract is. Then there is the filter issue with the lens hood.

The View

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:54:27 pm »

Like the Plaubel Makina.

A gorgeous camera!

Makes me want to shoot some film again.

What scanner do you use to get these images into the computer?

I wish there was a digital version of this camera (Maybe it's coming?)
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts all.

I think I am going to pick up a GA645zi for that side of things, and also I am considering the GF670W (i.e the one without the bellows and the 65mm lens) since it seems very compact, do you think the Plaubel's are comparable? Aside from the insane price, I like that the GF670W has modern features, any thoughts along those lines?
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

angusparker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:18 am »

Does anyone have any experiences with this camera? Am I crazy for wanting this camera? The price is certainly insane, but if I could find one in good condition, or have a temporary moment of insanity, does anyone have an experience with it? any thoughts on how it compares to a Mamiya 7? It certainly seems more compact. Would love the input...

Thanks,
BH

Yes, I have experience with the GF670W. It's great. Lighter and a lot smaller than the GSW690III which I also own but with a built in meter. Great lens with easy hyper focal markings. Very bright RF patch. Easy to load, well made and super quite leaf shutter. On Off lock switch is nice to have since it's not there on the folding regular GF670 which I also own. They sell new in Japan for $2,100 and sometime on Ebay for $1,850 or so used. I think the two version GF670W and GF670 make an unbeatable combination if you want to do MF film.
Pages: [1]   Go Up