Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cartridge Error after replacing FFC  (Read 5707 times)

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
Re: Cartridge Error after replacing FFC
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »

Ok, it makes more sense now. I would definitely double check that the FFC is squared and centered in each of the sockets. Also make sure The CN116 and CN118 are connected ok and are in good shape (they are related to the ink selector). Did the pre FFC replacement troubles have anything in common with the post replacement trouble?

Also what does the error history show (accessible in serviceman mode: Self Testing> Test> error history). BTW, is the problem also present in serviceman mode?

(All the cartridges are in the correct slots, right?)

There is also a 'Ink Holder Adjustment' procedure. If I was in your shoes I'd be tempted to try it, but I have no idea what it actually does, so don't blame me your machine implodes during the procedure: Pull all the ink cartridges out, turn printer on is serviceman mode, start the Service Program (servprog.exe) on you computer : Adjustments>Ink Holder Adjustment.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »

Just a few thoughts.

Obviously, power down and unplug - let it sit for a few minutes before powering back up, etc.

Update firmware, drivers, etc.

Why not just try putting the old cable back in?

Also, have you tried a different (new or old) cartridge?  (Something other than the one that you're using?)

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

dannybirchwood

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 11:06:38 am »

Thanks again for everyones help on this

I have tried everything so far and still no change.

When i turn the printer on its like it does not even try and feed the ink barely any noise at all on start up. not like a fan running or anything.

No this is nothing to do with the old problem at all. So i went into service mode and tried to run a AID check and finally its actually given me a error code of 1138 would this be connected to the cartridge error ??

This is going to be a very slow process I think.
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

cybis

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »

Error 1138 is a carriage over current error. It could be that there is nothing wrong at all with the ink system. The printer goes into error mode and displays red x's on the cartridges.

Error 1138:
The electric current flowing when driving the CR motor is irregularly large.
(To protect the motor driver)
- Encoder cable is damaged.
- CR Motor cable is damaged.
- Irregular load
- Encoder failure
- CR Motor failure

dannybirchwood

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 05:39:22 pm »

Thank you

At last some progress well kind of .......

All back printing but its looking like this !! Anyone had this before or any ideas ??

jferrari

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:32 pm »

Looks like one of the heads is firing every nozzle of light magenta. One of the circuit boards? I don't really know. Odd problem for sure.
Nothing changes until something changes.

cybis

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »

It's difficult to help without knowing the history of what was done to the printer. For instance, what did you do to solve the cartridges red x issue?

dannybirchwood

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 01:59:47 pm »

CR motor cable was damaged so repaired the the cable

So far I have only replaced the FFC as discussed before. Finally managed to clear cartridge error and now its printing like this was never doing it before.

Just seems a bit odd that is laying one colour over the top of everything.

I have spent so many hours on this, but i don't want to give up now i have come this far.

I have check all the cables I can see without pulling it all to bits everything seems ok.

Going to spend sometime tomorrow and do everything i can think of. I find it strange its laying that much ink down but not marking the paper anywhere other than where the ink should be. (if that makes sense).

I did have to insert carts one by one like you said before after sorting the cable, which was my fault looks like i damaged it while changing the FFC.

Thanks

cybis

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »

Yes, super odd. No printhead or circuit board were replaced, correct? I wonder if somehow the Head Rank ID got messed up. Or maybe even all adjustments in the NV-RAM may be messed up. If you don't already know how to enter the head rank ID in the NV-RAM, you can watch Eric's video here: http://myx900.com/change-your-own-printhead/

dannybirchwood

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

No board replaced only the cable. Starting to think board maybe.

Yes thats great. I have watched the video maybe thats worth ago not really got much to loose will input head rank id tomorrow.

maybe like you said NV-ram has got messed up. I would have no idea how to sort all that out. Thanks for all your help on this one. Will let you know if anything changes after head rank id

dannybirchwood

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »

Ok so I re entered the head rank ID and it stayed the same.

I have kept an old blocked print head from about a year ago (the original one) it has two channels completely blocked. I have keep it in an air tight container and run cleaner through it now and again .

Anyway I swapped the heads over and without changing the head rank ID printed a nozzle check and it prints fine apart from the two blocked channels.

So now i have no idea at all !!! Anyone with any ideas ???

Cheers Dan

cybis

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »

Do the blocked channels on the old head include the magenta or light magenta that's misfiring on the new head?
Are you 100% sure you are entering the head rank ID correctly and that the printer is taking it? Personally I found the procedure to be  tricky.
Maybe a picture of the printhead label and a screenshot of the service program head rank input window filled out would help put this theory to rest.

dannybirchwood

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »

Do the blocked channels on the old head include the magenta or light magenta that's misfiring on the new head?

No it is the black and light black

Yes thats what i thought and checked again and again. I understand its tricky. I got someone to stand next to me when i done it for the 3rd time. It says successful

Also i have updated firmware, wiped all drivers from computer including servprog and reinstalled all.

I will take some screen shots. Its extremely strange to me why it would be doing this other than a head rank problem. Could it be because it is a UK printer ? God I have no idea anymore. Driving me nuts

Thanks again for your help

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 03:20:51 pm »

No board replaced only the cable.
Have you tried contacting the cable supplier and requesting an exchange ? It could be the new cable is faulty itself, unless you've carefully tested each core for shorts and continuity.

cybis

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:51 pm »

If the new head is misfiring and the old one isn't, the problem can only be with the new head and/or its custom adjustment in the NV-RAM. I think that pretty much eliminates issues with cables or circuit boards.
If it isn't the head rank ID, it has to be the new print head. Is the new head still under warranty?

dannybirchwood

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 08:20:59 am »

I am thinking its the Head !! or a NV-ram problem

Is there anyway of uploading new NV-ram data like a complete fresh copy ?

The Head is not covered :( Anyone have any suggests on where to source a new head from ? We cant order any parts in the UK at all. Epson will not sell them. I am not sure if thats the same over in the States.

Although I will be visiting the States in May.

I have attached a picture of the Head ID and will take a screen shot of the input data from service program. Could it possibly be my copy of the service program ? It seems to be fine. Super strange as the head never done this before.

I am entering H (being the first) + (being the last)

Maybe its just me......

cybis

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 09:12:49 am »

You should only enter the first 45 symbols, i.e. from H to +.

dannybirchwood

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:33 am »

This is how I have been entering the head id into the service program

cybis

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

Wrong pic :)

Chris233

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 11:55:15 am »

Thank you

At last some progress well kind of .......

All back printing but its looking like this !! Anyone had this before or any ideas ??

Printhead was zapped.  The signal received from the main board is getting corrupted.  Most likely the power supply wasn't completely discharged before service session began.  I've 3-4 of those heads in a box from another service tech's "adventures"..  You could perhaps try to reinstall the printhead and ensure cables are seated properly, but I haven't had luck doing that.

When unplugging the printer, instead of waiting a few minutes for the power to discharge (which is suggested in a few Epson tech serv guides) - it's best to unplug the printer and actually press the power button to fully discharge the power supply capacitors.  The machine will start to power up and then turn off when all is discharged. Depress the power button when it's complete.

You can even have a machine unplugged overnight.... and when pressing the power button next day, the green light can still come on and you can hear the electrical sounds from the back of the machine until the power gets fully discharged.

Sometimes when unplugging and pressing the power button, I don't see the light power up or hear the machine sounds of the discharge - which makes me nervous if I haven't any extra parts or at a remote location.  - I'll always remove the back cover and disconnect the cable from power supply to main board. It's a good practice anyway when working on anything electrical in the machine - albeit, a real PITA removing all those screws.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:14:08 pm by Chris233 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up