I do think I see slight differences between small and medium format digital with respect to rendering of subtle tonal variations. Assuming that is so, I am not sure most commercial clients would pay a substantial premium for that.
As for architectural photography, non-reflex cameras can use wideangle lens designs that have lower inherent rectilinear distortion, which varies with the distance from the camera to the subject, and so cannot always be completely corrected with software. Currently, the only lenses of this type suitable for architectural photography are available for medium and large format technical or view cameras. However, with the advent of high quality small format mirrorless digital cameras, perhaps perspective correction lenses with lower distortion might become available for use with these cameras. In any case, again, I am not sure most clients are willing to pay a substantial premium to avoid what is really a very small amount of rectilinear distortion that shows up only occasionally with reflex cameras, wideangle lenses and architectural subjects. Since many architectural photographers are working successfully with small format, it does not seem to be a practical issue.