Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake up cable for Phase One P45  (Read 5438 times)

AS1

Wake up cable for Phase One P45
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to make a home made wake-up cable for use with a P45 digital back……rather than shelling out $100 for the Phase one (which I don't like as the button is right on the digital back). I'd like to make one with a button off the camera so there's no risk of camera shake…?
Thanks for any input.

Alan

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
Re: Wake up cable for Phase One P45
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:30 pm »

I'd like to make one with a button off the camera so there's no risk of camera shake…?

There is no camera shake while pressing the wake up button. The wake up button is just to "wake up" the back. You need to release the shutter as normal. The wake up cable just prevent you from re winding the shutter (within four seconds).

But your homemade wake up cable should be possible to build with a little amount of talent. I use an similar self modified cable to have an extra shutter button in field . So i'm able to release the camera even without an additional cord/shutter button (with the ability of long time exposure without keep pressing the shutter button). It works very well with the HCam and the P45+.

I used a common switch to create an "in-line-release" by just adding a parallel circuit. With some switch like this one:
http://www.tme.eu/nl/details/vaq-4-10-1c-r/faston-microschakelaars_/highly/#
you may achieve your target.

I could look like this (if it works that easy):

But it is maybe a bad decision, because an Phase One wake up cable is not that expansive.

regards

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:19 am »

The Phase One cable without 0 latency, should be 2 cables, the long coiled one with the actual wake up button, and a much shorter straight cable that runs to the back.  Thus when you hit the wake up button, the button is free not attached to the back.    The 0 latency cable does not have the button on the back and attaches straight to the digital back, without the shorter cable. 

The wake up cable with the button has what looks like a small microphone plug coming off the other end, which is plugged into the shorter cable that attached to the back. 

I am away from my cables, but will get some picture up tomorrow.

One cable is around $129.00 the other much cheaper.  So it still doesn't get you to the under $100.00. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:29:03 am »

I considered making a cable but is there anywhere you can buy the plug that goes into the back?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

AS1

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »

There is no camera shake while pressing the wake up button. The wake up button is just to "wake up" the back.

I think there's still a risk of shake when you have to physically push a small button that's attached to the back and only have 4 seconds for the camera to settle down (for the shake to dissipate).

I did come up with a solution though (see below)

AS1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 03:08:27 pm »

I did come up with a solution that works for me.
I bought a Canon N3 shutter release from FlashZebra; this is just a button with a sub-mini (2.5mm) jack on one end. I plugged this into the "multi connection to mini jack adaptor" that came with my P45 back. The lens synch on the camera is plugged directly into the P45 sub mini connector.
Now I can "wake up" the back with the switch, without any risk of camera shake, and then fire the shutter. For $16…….!

I also tried using a sub mini splitter with one end to the lens, and the other end to the Canon switch but that didn't work for some reason…..maybe because the splitter is a "stereo" cable and it needs a mono cable? I don't know.
I was also able to plug the splitter in to the multi connection to sub mini adaptor and have it split to the lens synch and the Canon switch, and that worked….
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:12:00 am by AS1 »

lance_schad

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:59:25 pm »

I do not know where you can just purchase the plug only, but I know people who have purchased the above
$75 cable and you an just cut of the pc plug.
https://digitaltransitions.com/product/sync-release-cables

or Kapture Group makes a solution that allows you to both initiate the sync signal and also gives you the ability to keep the circuit open.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

sgilbert

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »

Try calling these people:  http://www.paramountcords.com/synccords.asp

They made some cables for me and a friend a few years ago, without the wakeup button, but I see they show a wake up button on their website. 

JonTScheuler

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:20 am »

:), It is possible, I've done it. using electronics connectors purchased from ebay (small quantities - cheaper than single part purchase). I used a base from a damaged flash that had space enough to install the jacks and grommets to hold the cables secure. It can be attached to a flash bracket, or left hanging so as not to shake the unit. it works well. It's not fancy looking, but it's only for me. There is no magic, just a momentary switch, as someone else showed. Good luck

AS1

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:12:57 am »

There is no magic, just a momentary switch, as someone else showed. Good luck
Yes, I did get one to work by using the Canon release (see above). I did post some photos of it above,but I don't think they're showing up for some reason…?
Thanks
Alan.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:24 am »

So if I buy the basic 50300143 cable (pictured above the Kapture box) and put a monetary switch in the same wires as the PC connector, it would both wake up and then the lens fire the capture?

Are there only two wires used on the multi connector?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up