Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing Arca-Swiss MF-2 for hiking?  (Read 2624 times)

torger

Packing Arca-Swiss MF-2 for hiking?
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:13:42 am »

A friend of mine is looking into getting a MF-two (M-line two), but needs to know if it can be packed for hiking, ie be put in a large backpack. Packing it in pieces won't do as it will slow down setup times, I'd like to see it packed with rail front and back standard and lens on as one unit, and sliding back on the side.

This is how I pack my Techno. If you don't need to change lens, setting it up is just up with the camera body on the tripod head, on with the sliding back (which already has the digital back mounted, and the back has the flash sync cable hanging from it), put in the flash sync cable and shoot (one shutter release cable pre-attached to all lenses). I pack the Techno in a f-stop Satori EXP including 6 lenses and sliding back.

From pictures the MF-two looks a bit bulky so I don't know if it's practical to pack it this way. It would be nice to see some example of the camera packed in a bag.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Packing Arca-Swiss MF-2 for hiking?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:23 am »

One way to make it more compact is to replace the standard rail with their folding version.

CB

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:38:52 am »

And... here's what that would look like.

With the Rodenstock 55mm in place, it's 6 lbs 4 oz.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »

Chris, on the left images, is that a cold shoe for a pocket wizard? Joe
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »

Yup, a little plastic one with adhesive on it.  Came with my Profoto Air Remote.  I think I saw similar ones at B+H.

torger

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:54 pm »

Thanks very much for the images! Definitely looks like packable mounted, laying on its side. Looks like it's only about 17cm long so it could be packable laying on its back too, with some support behing the back standard.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:38:43 pm by torger »

ltucker

• lonnatucker.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:30:59 pm »

Rod is driving back from LA today and sent me this photo to post. He is pressed for time so will post here tomorrow if you have more questions.

To be brief, the Arca-Swiss MF-2 and also DSLR-2 are definitely packable in a backpack keeping it together in one piece.

The photo Rod sent was shot this morning in a Lowepro Flipside 300, a tiny super light pack that is really more of a daypack size. He turns the camera sideways in the pack to transport it.  In a larger pack with more width you'd have room for a row of lenses lengthwise next to the camera.

The short rail pictured is a 15cm section, but for the quickest setup the 30cm folding rail Chris posted is perfect. Both work in the 8.5cm connecting bracket.

Another feature of this modular system that is shown is the R-Mount bayonet lens board for those with an R-line camera and R-mount lenses like Chris.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:41:56 pm by ltucker »

torger

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:43:51 am »

Great feedback. Haven't seen the system packed before for hiking and landscape photography. Most users I know have used these cameras have been using them for professional architecture work and similar things where portability and quick setup time is less of an issue.

I'm not changing system from my Linhof Techno, I really am looking into this for a friend ;). I think the Techno is the no 1 field view camera, but the Arca-Swiss MF-2 has some advantages, it's a little bit cheaper, and it's a bit more versatile (wider range of movements), and have options to attach 135 cameras. For those also doing studio work I think the Arca-Swiss MF-2 can be a better choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up