Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ 140 On Tech Camera  (Read 2350 times)

pixjohn

IQ 140 On Tech Camera
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:11 pm »

Anyone using an IQ140 on a Tech Camera?

I shoot with a Leaf Aptus 75 on a Cambo WDS but borrowing a friends IQ140 to test and play with on a shoot next week. Its a smaller chip then the Leaf back, but I am not sure if I need to do anything different? Do you need the wake-up cables with the IQ backs?

studio347

Re: IQ 140 On Tech Camera
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:38:01 pm »

I use p65+ with sinar 4 by 5. I think IQ140 is very similar with P65 in terms of working with bigger cameras.
With p65, yes, I need a wake-up cable with normal latency. With zero latency set-up, I can shoot without the cable, but a cable connecting bt shutter and back.
With zero latency, some people might notice the back warmed up after for a while resulting a lot of noises in images.
So... it depends on weather and shooting location...
In a busy studio set-up, I would not use the zero latency more than 10 m.
I much prefer to use the wake-up cable which gives about 4 second of shooting window after pushing the button. I wish Phaseone give users different time(seconds) options such as 5, 10, 30, 60 s...for the wake-up button.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:39:55 am by studio347 »

gebseng

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:06:30 am »

I use the Leaf Credo 40, which is mostly identical to the IQ 140, on a Linhof Techno.

I use the Kapture Group One Shot cable, which works really well and saves some battery compared to using zero latency mode.

I also switched from a Aptus 75S. The main difficulty (apart from needing slightly shorter lenses to make up for the smaller sensor) seems to be that the Credo 40 sensor is MUCH more prone to color shifts. While I could shift 20mm with the Aptus 75 and the Digitar 5.6/35mm and had no problem correcting that with an LCC shot in C1, with the Credo 40 and the Digitar 5.6/28mm I run into serious problems at 15mm shift (uncorrrectable color shifts and streaks on the edges). Using a Rodenstock 4.0/32mm would help a lot for those issues, but I don't like the size, price and distortions of those (I would have to write down shift values for every single shot so that I correct them properly in post)

Apart from that, the Credo is of course much more easy to handle (live view!), has slightly better resolution and better DR/noise/high ISO performance (I sometimes even use ISO200 for night shots to get shorter exposures, yay).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:31 am »

You will need either a cable like the Kapture group, which I use, or the Phase One wake up combination set of cables (which you press each time to wake up the back and have around 4 seconds to fire the shutter) or the Phase One zero latency cable.  Zero latency is a single cable, the wake up setup is 2 cables.  There is a post in this forum, where the wake up cable have been talked about and some of the solutions are listed with pictures.  Here is a link to the Digital Transitions website: where they list the various cable solutions (except the K group)

https://digitaltransitions.com/product/sync-release-cables

As others pointed out the zero latency: 1. heats up the back (when it's in the sun or hot outside) 2.  Eats up the battery about 2x.  In the summer in Arkansas I never work with zero latency due to the back getting hot, this is going to add noise.

Make sure you plan to shoot the complimentary LCC frame for the shots taken with the tech camera.  This is critical to color correction on the final image.  You won't need to shoot one after every shot, but if the light changes considerably, you might want to take another set.  

The 140 with it's 1.3 crop will most likely allow a bit more shift before you start to see excessive edge smearing or color/sat loss.

Make sure to test the setup before you hit the road.

Link to LuLa post on wake up cables: 

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=89763.0

BTW, if your 140 is up to the latest firmware, it will also now support USB3 tethering, and that is a great asset.  I now tether in the field with the Surface Pro 2, following the work done by Ken Doo.  

Paul

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:44:40 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:21 am »

USB3 is a great feature on a Phase IQ and Leaf Credo MFDBs for tethering. To get an idea of what Paul is referring to see my review on tethering with the Surface Pro 2, http://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/     This is much better than viewing a downsized JPEG ala iPad. The USB3-Surface Pro 2 tethering option allows use of all the tools of C1 Pro 7 in the field, including 100% view with a double tap, focus mask, loupe, etc. using the full resolution RAW file of your IQ/Credo MFDB.  More features in basically what is a touch-screen extension of your MFDBs lcd screen.

Capture Integration also has a tethering Surface Pro 2 set-up available for rental.  https://captureintegration.com/available-in-rentals-microsoft-surface-pro-2/

Ken

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »

I will take the time to test the IQ140 on my shoot next week, my only real concern is the chip size is smaller then my Leaf Aptus back.  My  concern would be shooting with the 24xl lens and losing a few degree's of angle.  I think my work flow should be the same shooting an LL for each image, the same way I already shoot with the Aptus back.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:58:16 pm by pixjohn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up