Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice/recommendation: Canon FD lens adapter for 7D?  (Read 1464 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Advice/recommendation: Canon FD lens adapter for 7D?
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:48 am »

I have several 70's vintage FD lenses that I'd like to use on my 7D. (No issues with going full manual, as I tend to shoot that way with my EF lenses.) There are several companies selling these adapters, and I would appreciate hearing opinions from folks using them. At the moment, I am considering the Vello product:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742933-REG/Vello_LA_CEF_CFD_Canon_EOS_To_Canon.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Thank you for your reply.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Advice/recommendation: Canon FD lens adapter for 7D?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:41:22 am »

The problem with adapting FD to EOS is that because of the register differences the lens will not focus on infinity.  To allow that the adapters have to have the glass element mentioned in the description.  They are generally regarded as low quality, so very few use them, and the few I've seen comments (after purchase) were thrown out.

FD lenses themselves can be excellent and are getting a revival being used on Sony A7 bodies where the register differences give plenty of room for an adapter .. no elements needed.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:44:15 am »

The problem with adapting FD to EOS is that because of the register differences the lens will not focus on infinity.  To allow that the adapters have to have the glass element mentioned in the description.  They are generally regarded as low quality, so very few use them, and the few I've seen comments (after purchase) were thrown out.

FD lenses themselves can be excellent and are getting a revival being used on Sony A7 bodies where the register differences give plenty of room for an adapter .. no elements needed.

+1, the glass element in the adapters will greatly effect the overall lens image.  Canon actually made this type of adapter when they first came out with the EOS mount, but even it was not considered very good.  They show up on ebay every once and while. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:50:30 am »

Thanks for the information. Maybe I can use this excuse to justify buying a Sony A7 :)

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:17:16 am »

Go for it  ;D

I'm using the 20/2.8 and 35/2 on the A7r and they are excellent.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:43:53 am »

While on the subject, has anyone used one of the FD to EF adapters WITHOUT the glass, i.e., as an extension tube for FD lenses and macro work? (I assume this would preclude infinity focus.)

Just thinking out loud.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »

No not used them on my EOS cameras, but I do use them on my Fuji X-T1 and they work great.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:45:47 am »

Ed Mika mills lensless FD to EOS adapters and has information about which lenses can be adjusted to infinity. Basically, most of the FD big whites can be adjusted for infinity focus (but then you have a 9 to 15 pound no-IS lens, which is why I have hesitated to go this route, I can handhold non-IS telephoto 400mm f/5.6L and get tack-sharp BIF shots, but doubt I would be able to do so with a much heavier lens). The adapters are installed by the end user, Mika provides directions. He considers the big whites (large aperture long telephotos) and the FD 50mm f/1.2 worth adapting, but many of the others to be not worth the trouble and cost. Search for Ed Mika on eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up