Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPS off-angle white glow in NEC P/PA?  (Read 2627 times)

D Fosse

IPS off-angle white glow in NEC P/PA?
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:27 pm »

With the arrival of the Eizo CG246, a side effect is that I'm beginning to be bothered by the shortcomings of my other displays. The NEC P232W that I'm now using as my primary home display, is a case in point. It's a terrific little monitor, to be sure, but there is one problem with it: the blacks wash out with a strong blue/white glow at any other angle than straight on.

It's so pronounced that it affects the corners and sides at normal working distance. A little further away and it disappears.

OK, I know it's a budget/entry level model in the P/PA series. But still, I'd like to know if this is the normal behavior, or if I somehow got a flawed unit? Are the bigger PAs affected by this?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: IPS off-angle white glow in NEC P/PA?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »

Completly normal in all IPS type matrices without OCF - it's visible in dark surround on dark background, so it's not really a problem in photo editing applications.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:13:34 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:25:41 pm »

OK, thanks.

I did have an IPS Eizo Flexscan until recently that didn't show this, and neither does the CG. So I suppose Eizo uses OCF on most of their models.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 05:50:02 pm »

xVA matrices exhibit less black leaking as IPS, and many previous Flexscan models had xVA panels. On the other hand xVA panels have generally worse angle characteristics than IPS, so there's a problem with all other colours ;)

Only some recent CX/CG models feature OCF - there are also some drawbacks of such panels, but overall black impression is better than in regular IPS panels.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:52:14 pm by Czornyj »

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:39 am »

xVA matrices exhibit less black leaking as IPS, and many previous Flexscan models had xVA panels

Yes, I know that. I do have a Flexscan with a PVA panel, so I know how that behaves. This was another one, an EV series Flexscan, IPS and not PVA.

Anyway, I'm not trying to find a problem where none exists. It was just that the P232 shows this to a much higher degree than what I'm used to.

I did wonder if it could affect the sensor black reading, because if you get close enough it all melts together in one diffuse glow. But looking at the i1D3 lens, it seems to be specifically constructed to focus straight forward, blocking incoming light from the sides.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51:19 am »

I did wonder if it could affect the sensor black reading, because if you get close enough it all melts together in one diffuse glow. But looking at the i1D3 lens, it seems to be specifically constructed to focus straight forward, blocking incoming light from the sides.

Yes, it is:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=87082.0
Besides black leaking is only visible at greater viewing angle - when you get closer the viewing angles get greater, and it's easily noticeable.

D Fosse

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:48 am »

I remember that thread, but I never actually looked at the video. Maybe I should do that now. But I'm sure you're right.

The "deep" shape of the sensor alone indicates they're aware of any potential problems with light direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up