Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diglloyd tests the Rolleiflex Hy6  (Read 13208 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: Diglloyd tests the Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:15 am »

Let's be clear: I like Lloyd's work, it is worth paying a subscription generally to see what the trends are. He has a point of view though, and is only competent within it - don't expect insights on the usability of a camera for sports.

As for value for money, the last few guys I sent profiles to on this forum never paid their $25 or so, and in fact I have found photographers generally such bad customers that I have stopped answering emails concerning profiles.

Edmund
Edmund,
One of the best things I ever did was to sign up with Photodeck to sell my images.
I no longer have discussions with new clients about price, I no longer have to spend time and money chasing payment. They search, select, pay then download. I now get my money before they get the image.
Even if they do correspond I set the results up on Photodeck, they know what it will cost and if they want it they have to pay upfront for it.
I would suggest you don't supply until they have paid. It's so easy with Paypal to send and receive across the Globe these days. Failing that I bet you could put your profiles on Photodeck, market them and have people buy and download them while you sit on the beach with a bottle of wine in your hand and couple of Girls at your feet, Dolce Vita .
Kevin.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »

You make the whole thing sound so worthwhile ...

Seriously, that's very good advice, and I think I shall do something like that.

Edmund

Edmund,
One of the best things I ever did was to sign up with Photodeck to sell my images.
I no longer have discussions with new clients about price, I no longer have to spend time and money chasing payment. They search, select, pay then download. I now get my money before they get the image.
Even if they do correspond I set the results up on Photodeck, they know what it will cost and if they want it they have to pay upfront for it.
I would suggest you don't supply until they have paid. It's so easy with Paypal to send and receive across the Globe these days. Failing that I bet you could put your profiles on Photodeck, market them and have people buy and download them while you sit on the beach with a bottle of wine in your hand and couple of Girls at your feet, Dolce Vita .
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Manoli

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:06 pm »

... and not too difficult, these 'guys' haven't changed their one page web site since 2006.   www.jfilabs.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »

I find that Lloyd tends to focus (no pun intended) on focus issues and lens performance. He has kind of an exhaustive library of tests with lots of different lenses. I would say going in, that handing him a camera to review is going to result in negative issues pointed out prominently, and indeed, emphasized. There are a scant few cameras/lenses that he has found among the many he's reviewed that he's expressed enthusiasm for without too much highlight on the compromises.

That's fine. As Edmund sort of said - he works within his own somewhat limited testing perspective.

I do kind of question the results and the environment, especially given Eric's added narrative of events. 3D environment to check edge to edge focus? The end of a branch hovering in the air over a gushing stream is not sharp? Just shooting anything with a stiff wind can create challenges - even if the subject matter is static. I appreciate that he pays so much attention to the glass - that is absolutely right. But I wouldn't draw firm conclusions from his analysis - I say put in in your hands and see how you do. Kudos to Eric for tagging along - it could have been worse without you on hand. Too bad you didn't have a Credo 80 for him (not that it would have made much difference).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:54 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, Steve, always appreciated. I can agree that resolution at actual pixel levels may not be as important as some of us may think. But I also feel that many customers buy MF because the image quality and resolution may be a significant part of that.

Another point may be that usability, focus and lens quality may be factors in choosing MF systems as the sensor itself is often the same. For instance, the IQ-250, the new CMOS-based Hasselblad and the Pentax 645Z use the same sensor and I am pretty sure that Leaf and Phase MFDs have much in common. So lenses, usability, vibrations and focusing ability may be important differentiators. For instance the Hasselblad has now live view on the back, can be a disadvantage in the field, but "True Focus" may be helpful in the studio.

Having followed Lloyds writings a long time I have an appreciation of his work. Generally he shoots different subjects, including a large mural, landscape and so on. The kind of 3D scene in this test is useful to check bookeh. The way he works is to find in focus areas and analyze them.

Having a lot of experience with different lenses helps in seeing different issues, like the very obvious magenta/blue fringing. I can see a lot of that on my Zeiss lenses of older design. The MTF data that DHW publishes on those lenses is quite reminiscent of the corresponding MTF data for Zeiss lenses I have, which my be an indication that they are older designs. MTF data for the LS lenses for the Phase One cameras is in a different league, but it needs to be kept in mind that those data are shown at higher frequency than older data. European recommendations used to be 10/20/40 lp/mm but the LS lenses are shown at 15/30/60 lp/mm.

Saying that MTF data is not relevant is simply stupid. That is the data that lens designers use for constructing the lenses. Well, they also use ray tracing, optical bench analysis and so on. All that work is done in software based at the design state.

To me it seems that Eric Hiss comments are more about discrediting Lloyd than being constructive. A good example is him talking about the shutter vibration issue of the A7r. Lloyd has noted it first, I have seen it analysed to death but it is very clear that the problem is real. It is a small vibration degrading the image. Not very obvious, not like double contours, but the system may not deliver if used in the affected speed range if used with high quality lenses. Jim Kasson has published around a dozen articles of the issue. It is an issue Sony needs to fix.

If someone using the A7r is not affected by the issue, congratulation to that person. The vibration is obviously depending on system mass, pivot point, moment of inertia, but it is pretty obvious that the issue is real. It is good to be aware of the issue if you buy a 5k$ lens and a 2k$ camera body for optimum quality.

So using the A7r shutter vibration issue to discredit Lloyd's testing, is not only stupid, ignorant but also dishonest. Offering a system for an independent tester and than discrediting the results seems highly unprofessional to me. If you send a system for test you face the consequences. Has Eric Hiss checked out the diglloyd site before handling out equipment for test he would have known what to expect.

Remark: I feel obliged to mention that I did have a significant argument with Eric Hiss on these forums, so it may be that I have an axe to grind.

Best regards
Erik

I find that Lloyd tends to focus (no pun intended) on focus issues and lens performance. He has kind of an exhaustive library of tests with lots of different lenses. I would say going in, that handing him a camera to review is going to result in negative issues pointed out prominently, and indeed, emphasized. There are a scant few cameras/lenses that he has found among the many he's reviewed that he's expressed enthusiasm for without too much highlight on the compromises.

That's fine. As Edmund sort of said - he works within his own somewhat limited testing perspective.

I do kind of question the results and the environment, especially given Eric's added narrative of events. 3D environment to check edge to edge focus? The end of a branch hovering in the air over a gushing stream is not sharp? Just shooting anything with a stiff wind can create challenges - even if the subject matter is static. I appreciate that he pays so much attention to the glass - that is absolutely right. But I wouldn't draw firm conclusions from his analysis - I say put in in your hands and see how you do. Kudos to Eric for tagging along - it could have been worse without you on hand. Too bad you didn't have a Credo 80 for him (not that it would have made much difference).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:38:59 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 02:54:22 am »

Remark: I feel obliged to mention that I did have a significant argument with Eric Hiss on these forums, so it may be that I have an axe to grind.

So the truth behind your dis is revealed?  Very big of you to admit it Mr. Kaffehr.  I'll take your admission as a sort of apology.  It does seem like you have had arguments with other people on this forum too, so this new self reflection of yours is a headed in the right direction.    Do you think we can move on now?  

Actually I had been thinking about how to post my own sample images from the Hy6 and lenses - it sort of merits  its own thread since the DOF is quite thin for medium format compared to 4/3rds and even DSLR's - especially at close distances.  Working with with MF is different in this regard.   If it was easy for Lloyd to assume he'd catch something in the DOF to evaluate the lens, and then didn't (and wrongly assumed he was seeing something was soft when in reality it was just out of focus) then probably a lot of other people encounter this too.  When I was reviewing shots in my image catalog taken with the 50mm f/2.8,  it struck me how thin the DOF really was at f/2.8 and also how it seems that the focus peak was visible, and I think this might be of general interest.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:03:02 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 03:21:29 am »

Steve,
Yes I had to tag along since it was all my own personal gear and not too far away from home.  Anyhow, I'd love to have a Credo back at some point even if I keep my AFi-ii 12. I'll have to talk to you about that at some point.   :)     The AFi-ii 12 is still so unique for the revolving sensor that matches the ergonomics of the Hy6 so well. But the Credo is so much faster and the screen is really great.  Nice to have the instant zoom to 100% for focus checks.  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:57:44 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 04:34:18 am »

When I was reviewing shots in my image catalog taken with the 50mm f/2.8,  it struck me how thin the DOF really was at f/2.8 and also how it seems that the focus peak was visible, and I think this might be of general interest.

Hi Eric,

Indeed, the DOF in the plane of optimal focus is actually very narrow. However, that is when pixel peeping on a monitor. Due to the relatively larger sensor dimensions, the final output magnification is smaller, hence the DOF will look deeper than up close on display, and the defocus can seem to transition smoother from sharp to blurred.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 04:52:21 am »

Seriously, that's very good advice, and I think I shall do something like that.

Edmund

Not only do they buy online from Photodeck, but you build a data base of people that actually know the value of what you are selling, I can't recommend Photodeck enough.
Tuesdays sales paid for the year subscription, so for me a cheap option too.
Kevin.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:58 am »

No,

Something called honesty. My perception is that you have a tendency to miscredit anyone who has opinions and experience that contradicts your. Your example of Lloyd's report on the A7r is a clear example of this. The issue is totally irrelvant to the Hy6, Lloyd actually tells in his report the Hy6 is vibration free, because MLU/selftimer is correctly implemented and leaf shutters are vibration free.

But you spreed two pieces of false information:

- Once, you imply that Lloyd's article on A7r shutter vibration is a sign of incompetence/irrelevance
- You also imply that the the issue is irrelevant because many people are satisfied with the images the A7r makes

Now, that issue has been troughly investigated by others, Joseph Holmes, Jim Kasson and others and confirmed to be real. So why do you comment on stuff that you don't understand?

Regarding our past communication, I essentially stated that little difference can be seen between 24 MP DSLR and MFDB in A4 images.

I have been criticized for:

- For using SQF
- You demonstrate that you can achieve better SQF with more sharpening (which is true, but true for all formats)
- For using test images from test sites instead my own
- Having bad technique
- Having bad focus
- Having bad lenses
- Have bad sharpening (which may be true, but that would apply two all images MFD or DSLR). I sharpen a bit more than what is recommended by Jeff Schewe for landscape iamges and I don't sharpen in both Capture One and LR as you indicate you do.

I have used test-site images to eliminite my equipment as a factor, so you are blaming me for that than you blame me for bad technique on my own images.

But fact is that quite a few MFD posters essentially say what I have observed, little or no difference in A2 size prints.

Best regards
Erik

So the truth behind your dis is revealed?  Very big of you to admit it Mr. Kaffehr.  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:46:19 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Geoffrey

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:18 am »

For a brief moment, hope was that this was behind us. Point made. Can the discussion please move on?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:35:15 am by Geoffrey »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 07:18:36 am »

Hi Geoffrey,

You are obviously right. The topic is the Hy6 test on the diglloyd site.

Best regards
Erik

For a brief moment, hope was that this was behind us. Point made. Can the discussion please move on?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up