Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Teton - Clearing Storm  (Read 4191 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Grand Teton - Clearing Storm
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:04 am »

I looked at the second image again and thought about why I was not so taken with it firstly. For my taste it is a bit too bright and crunchy. Again I took a screen shot from 500px and modified it. It got very few likes on 500px where the first picture you posted got a lot more. I think there is a reason. Apart from the problem of attracting people to even click on a thumbnail  ;)

I adjusted the light using two grad filters. One from the top to get the trees a little darker and one from the bottom to add in contrast and shadows at the same time. I also cropped out from the left the little yellow patch at the border of the frame.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:37 am »

You had DOUBTS about this?! I think it's wonderful, particularly the contrast between the different kinds of light. Have you considered cropping a wee bit at the top? I think it helps a little.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14:28 am »

Nothing in that original picture needs "adjusting." Every attempt to change it on this thread has degraded it. When you're ahead, quit!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 02:20:51 pm »

Here is a message I sent out today to another member on the forum asking for more detail on the blurring technique I mentioned previously, so for clarification and for anyone else which may be interested, here is my reply under the question below  :)

What blend mode do you use..

No blend mode, just feather the two layers over each other by using the opacity slider, with the layer with the slight blurring applied along the offending edges, over the one below with the hard or sparkly edges, until it looks real.

This is a technique I came up with myself I believe, as I really am that anally retentive to tweak every single pixel in an image if I think it needs it and deserve that level of attention, so I don't know if anyone has already come up with this particular idea, so cannot give links to other references I am afraid.  :'(

Hope this helps.

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:04 pm »

Dave, I often use a similar technique in Lightroom to reverse the impact of global Clarity (i.e., halos) on mountain ridges and similar. It is a simple, narrow brush with a negative Clarity.

Another option, in PS, if you really want to change the world one pixel at the time, is to use a clone stamp, the size of 1 or 2 pixels, and clone out the helos introduces by masks etc.

And the best alternative is: do not fight the mask  :) If the mask is introducing visible artifacts, you've gone too far. Back off!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:33:41 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »

I'm with Russ on this one. I don't think anything about the original first picture needed fiddling with. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments, positive and negative, critique and suggestions. It is always a struggle (for me, at least) to find a balance between spectacular and natural, impactful and believable (in post-processing).

The latest version I posted (on Flickr, and automatically updated in my first post on this thread, takes into account some of the comments I found valid. Stamper, you are right, the version before that was a bit desaturated, so I brought back some, especially in the trees. Hans, I increased the contrast a bit as well.

I continue to disagree (with some) about the amount of foreground. I believe that, as Russ et al do as well, that much foreground is necessary to balance the sheer visual weight of the mountain. I accept, however, that the foreground should be less crunchy, so I adjusted it with a ND grad, by darkening it, reducing clarity, contrast and saturation a bit.

At the end, I wanted to share, for what it is worth, the original file, straight out of camera (with LR defaults, obviously):

P.S. I would also strongly suggest to see the OP photo on Flickr, given that there it will be on a black background. The white background here does dim brightness and saturation a bit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:27:21 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »

Very nice, Slobodan. It's definitely a case where post-processing brought out the real feeling of the place. A very good post-processing job.

Oh, by the way, the kind of vegetation in the foreground simply IS "crunchy."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up