Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digal 4x5 lens for just 22 MP and stitching, did i need the real top?  (Read 2034 times)

Lorenzo Pierucci

• Work hard & be nice to people
    • Lorenzo Pierucci Studio

Hi everybody!  :)

Im now at my 5th interior shoot done exclusively with my 55 mm rodenstock ( the latest ) and my Valeo 22. I can't be more happy ( well i will be more happy if i can use C1…. ).

I see and i feel the difference of proportion in my photography, using a 55 mm vs my D800 14-24, and i feel more a photographer then stay in front a C1 tethered, shooting tons of layers. Is great to have my own style right now, and the large format approach to the shoot it make me find again a real joy in this work.

Degression apart… as i said i love my 55 mm, cutting sharp. The only problem is that, as it is crafted for a 645 sensor, the image circle is relatively small compared to 4x5. As i stitch 4 frame usually, this sometime mean color cast or light falloff ( if i swing or tilt i can even get the black edge ). As I'm using just a old Valeo 22 i start to wondering: did i need such a a top lens, designed for 40 - 60 MP sensor or i can use some "lower end" ends one ( ex the nikkor 90 mm that seams have a huge circle or the green rodenstock for film ). I also usually resize my file to a 4000x5000, as my stitch ones are double of it, so maybe i don't need all that sharpness.
Or do I ?

I guys know best, so i ask you. :)

Thanks for reading this

Work hard & be nice to people

torger

My experience with a 22 megapixel back is that as you don't have an AA filter you can see differences between lenses better than one might expect. How sharp lenses you need to get a result you find pleasing is very personal though, you need to test. The only thing I can say that yes difference will be noticed when you pixel peep, how large practical meaning it has is a different issue. Your image quality won't be worse than 4x5" film in any case, and that's pretty good.

Lorenzo Pierucci

My experience with a 22 megapixel back is that as you don't have an AA filter you can see differences between lenses better than one might expect. How sharp lenses you need to get a result you find pleasing is very personal though, you need to test. The only thing I can say that yes difference will be noticed when you pixel peep, how large practical meaning it has is a different issue. Your image quality won't be worse than 4x5" film in any case, and that's pretty good.

Thanks, been as good as a 4x5 is what my clients need actually.

Thanks a lot for the great example

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

That 55 has a huge usable image circle.  You're not going to be able to stitch nearly as much with wider lenses, they just don't have the same big image circle.  I love the Schneider 43mm but you can only shift it 10 - 12 mm.

So, you can definitely go wider, but I wonder if the 55 isn't already giving you the same field of view since you're stitching it???  What I mean is... if you stitch the 43mm using all of its available image circle and do the same with the 55mm, you may not gain anymore width through the wider lens.

I don't see a problem using older digital or even film lenses with a 22 MP back.  We used to use film lenses on the P45+ and I didn't find a real need to move to all digital lenses until the P65+.

CB
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:38:10 am by Chris Barrett »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen

I used a Valeo at one point. If I remember correctly you can shoot a lens calibration file with it when using movements and then in LC apply that file and easily remove casts and fall off. I use this technique with my Aptus.

The other thing is if you don't want to use a lens cal file with the camera just swing the camera. A rail camera is real easy to set up to shoot panos by finding lens nodal points.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com

You many need a flat field not only for every aperture, but for each stitching position & aperture combination.

Lorenzo Pierucci

I don't see a problem using older digital or even film lenses with a 22 MP back.  We used to use film lenses on the P45+ and I didn't find a real need to move to all digital lenses until the P65+.

That's the point, i was questioning about the actual image sharpness and lens error ( i own a fujinon 250 and on my valeo suffer of sever chromatic aberration )

I know the 55 have a nice big circle, but i know that film lens have a bigger one ( as u have to move a 4x5 piece of film ). This is why are appealing to me. Wondering if i will ever see the difference with my modest 22 MP sensor…  :-\

Lorenzo Pierucci

The other thing is if you don't want to use a lens cal file with the camera just swing the camera. A rail camera is real easy to set up to shoot panos by finding lens nodal points.

This is a interesting new technique!  :D :D :D

So i can do panoramas ( only ) if i swing the frontal standard ? I will give it a try tomorrow first thing as i get back at the studio.

Lorenzo Pierucci

You many need a flat field not only for every aperture, but for each stitching position & aperture combination.

Yes, that is the way when i need to do really "no excuse-best-kil it shoot". It take quite a lot of time.

Im waiting for a center filter form e-bey, is actually for Schneider 47 but filter thread is the same… hope it will work well :)   
Pages: [1]   Go Up