Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with an ICC Profile for Canvas Paper and an older Epson printer  (Read 2414 times)

uintaangler

I have been doing research for over a month on the topic of which Wide Format printer to purchase and whether to go 24" or 44"
I started a thread with the 24 vs 44 question and many of the replies pointed out that for printing on canvas paper 44" is a must
But I have never printed on canvas and therefore can't determine how important that should be when it comes time to decide between 24 or 44
I have an Epson Stylus Pro 4000 that I purchased at a great price from a friend who was closing down his business
I would love to use the 4000 to experiment with a roll of canvas ( since loading canvas sheets into my 3880 will be a pain in the neck )
Problem is the 4000 is getting old enough that finding a decent ICC profile online is very difficult
I tend to like MOAB and Hahnemuhle papers on my 3880
Can anybody help me figure out how to find a high quality canvas paper available on rolls along with a good ICC profile for that paper?
Thanks,
Bob

PS I know that printing 17" will not leave me anything that can be stretched onto a frame - that is not my goal here. Just want to see if I like the way my images look on good canvas paper.

disneytoy

I like Epson Exhibition Matte Canvas.  I've been printing it on an r2400 and 3880. I bought a roll of 17"x 40'

http://www.inksandmedia.com/S045397-Epson-Exhibition-Canvas-Matte-Natural-17-x-40.html

Was $63 and very fast free shipping.

I cut it down to what I needed. Had pretty good results using the Water color paper profile from Epson. It cones in Natural and regular. I first bought the Natural. But just bought a 44" roll of the Epson Exhibition Canvas. Its a bit whiter, and I like to print saturated Reds.

Cut off an 11" strip, and will run some tests. You do need to do some tweekings. Start with small tests. In Lightroom I set up a template and can print a 4x6 on my larger strip, and just reprint next to the first test.

Matte is nice since you need to coat. If you want Satin or Glossy, just use a glossy coat.  Mut the Matte is very nice.

disneytoy

You don't have to stretch small canvas. You can use white glue or Mirackle Muck and glue it down to Masonite or foam board. Pretty easy.  I think if you want to stretch it. you need to add at least 5" to your image for the wrap.

hugowolf

Can anybody help me figure out how to find a high quality canvas paper available on rolls along with a good ICC profile for that paper?

I take you are talking about canvas, not canvas paper (paper with a canvas texture). Canson has profiles for the 4000, as do Innova. Breathing Color may have but their ICC profile downloading is down, as it often is, but if you email them they will send you what they have. You can always have custom profiles made.

PS I know that printing 17" will not leave me anything that can be stretched onto a frame - that is not my goal here. Just want to see if I like the way my images look on good canvas paper.

There is an 'easy wrap' system that is sold under various names that doesn't require as much edge canvas for wrapping: itSuplies sells it, Breathing Color sells it, and there is also a Hahnemuhle version.

Brian A

uintaangler

Thanks Hugowolf.
Is it always necessary to spray or roll a varnish onto a completed printing on Canvas paper?

hugowolf

Canvas paper can be mounted the usual ways, so if you are using a T-hinge or V-hinge to a backing board, then there is no need for coating, especially if you are then glazing. Canvas paper can’t be stretched.

Canvas being different, it is a cloth not a paper, and is flexible and can be stretched. Stretching can cause cracking at the edge of the stretcher bars.

It is always better to coat canvas, unless you are maybe dry mounting. I have used Innova ‘Ultra Gloss’ (which isn’t ultra glossy, but more glossy than matte canvas) without coating. Breathing Color Crystalline also claims no need for coating.

In general, easy wrap systems distribute the stress better when stretching, but you need a padded surface to lessen the chance of abrasion at the edges.

Brian A

rmyers

You can buy a 17" x 20' sample roll of Lyve canvas from Breathing Color for $20.00.  You can cut that into sheets and feed it into your 3880.  I have printed several rolls of that canvas on my 3880.  They have ICC profiles for it.  Feeding it into the 3880 requires a little technique, but isn't that difficult.

Get a pint of their Timeless in the gloss level desired and their roller.  You will be set to test it out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up