Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Mobile Released  (Read 31251 times)

Telecaster

Re: Lightroom Mobile Released
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »

Well, goodie for you...personally, I use a laptop cause, well, I shoot too much to even consider loading stuff on an iPad. (and no, I prolly won't be using LRm for much of anything other than running slide shows).

Jeff, it's got nothing to do with me. Geez... The point is that newer iPads have the capability to edit full-size RAWs, and Adobe has chosen not to make use of it. No doubt a product-placement-driven strategy on their part, but IMO also a shortsighted one. Rather than just serving the existing Lr user base they could've begun to cultivate a new one. But, hey, I can (and do) use other products instead to accomplish what I want.

I now use my desktop machine for just two things: long-term data storage and print-oriented image processing. All other computing tasks are handled fine by my iPad. This includes multitrack audio recording with a full suite of recording/editing tools. It also includes all electronic-display-oriented image processing. My aim is to replace the desktop completely with a NAS/printer server, with all content creation/editing tasks handled by an iPad or other tablet device. IMO this is the way things are going. And I like it.

-Dave-

Photo Op

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 04:46:07 pm »

A CC subscription IS required to do the synchronization which works via Creative Cloud servers. There is no direct synch between LR on the desktop and the iPad over a local WiFi network.....

Uh, don't think that's actually true. Have v5.4 on MacMini and LRM on iPad. Currently, modifications on iPad sync almost immediately to desktop when made on iPad with both on wireless network. Now that might change when the 30 day trial period ends.....
David

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »

So what's a good free app for iPad 4 that I can use on vacation for backing up my photos into and emailing and minor editing? 

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:20 pm »

Tablets suck for serious work (photo work included in that)
I use my desktop for doing real things, my tablet for checking the web and casual stuff

I also touch type, tablets are not great for that either.
They are good for selected things (they are small, portable for one)

They are not an all in one wonder that does everything great

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:32 pm »

Uh, don't think that's actually true. Have v5.4 on MacMini and LRM on iPad. Currently, modifications on iPad sync almost immediately to desktop when made on iPad with both on wireless network. Now that might change when the 30 day trial period ends.....

Read here http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/04/lightroom-mobile-now-available.html

where you will see:

How to get started:

Download Lightroom 5.4

Lightroom mobile is a companion to Lightroom desktop.  Lightroom 5.4 is the first version of Lightroom desktop that includes the ability to sync images to Lightroom mobile.  Please update to the latest version of Lightroom 5 using either the Creative Cloud app or by clicking on the “Help-> Check for Updates” menu option.

Sign In

Lightroom mobile utilizes cloud services to sync Smart Previews and changes between Lightroom desktop and Lightroom mobile.  Lightroom mobile requires a qualifying Creative Cloud or Photoshop Photography Plan subscription:

Photoshop Photography Program
    Creative Cloud complete plan
    Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition
    Creative Cloud for teams complete plan

A free 30-day trial of Lightroom mobile is available

Have fun  ;D

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »

A free 30-day trial of Lightroom mobile is available[/i]

Hi Hans,

So it is a 30-day trial version? What happens after 30 days?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 06:27:36 pm »

Hi Hans,

So it is a 30-day trial version? What happens after 30 days?

Cheers,
Bart

As it says:

Lightroom mobile requires a qualifying Creative Cloud or Photoshop Photography Plan subscription:

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:12 pm »

Lightroom mobile requires a qualifying Creative Cloud or Photoshop Photography Plan subscription:

Which is why I've started looking into Aperture. Yes it is a few years old now, but, guess what - it synchs with iPad seamlessly and has a few other bells and whistles worth investigating...

I, for one, am not keen on being sucked into the Adobesphere where I will need to pay money each month/year in perpetuity to edit my photos. I realize LR is still standalone, but not if you want it for iPad. And for how much longer will LR remain standalone when all other Adobe products have gone to CC?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

msbc

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

Actually, it is true. Sync is via the Adobe Cloud, not LRm to LR. Disconnect your network from the Internet and it will stop working.
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:18 am »

So what's a good free app for iPad 4 that I can use on vacation for backing up my photos into and emailing and minor editing? 
Bump.  Any suggestions?

Telecaster

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:36 am »

Tablets suck for serious work (photo work included in that)
I use my desktop for doing real things, my tablet for checking the web and casual stuff

I also touch type, tablets are not great for that either.
They are good for selected things (they are small, portable for one)

They are not an all in one wonder that does everything great

Your opinion & experience maybe but most certainly not mine. Except for the last sentence...nothing is "an all in one wonder that does everything great."

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 12:58:32 am »

Photogene isn't free but it doesn't cost much either. It's Lightroom-ish in that it maintains a database of your photo edits (leaving the original image data intact) but it doesn't build a catalog of imported photos. You can use the Photos app to create folders for import that Photogene can access.

-Dave-

Evanford

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 01:07:48 am »

How is Lr mobile useful for editing when it does not appear to be color managed?  Last weekend I downloaded X-rite's color managed ipad gallery app and noticed a pretty large difference between the 'color managed' and 'non-color managed' version of photos.  There was a slight difference in color but what really surprised me was how much the shadows were opened up in the 'color managed' version.  It did make things more like my NEC PA241W.  If I were to edit photos with LR Mobile I would be fooled into thinking my shadows were more plugged up than they actually are. 

hjulenissen

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 01:08:02 am »

Jeff, it's got nothing to do with me. Geez... The point is that newer iPads have the capability to edit full-size RAWs, and Adobe has chosen not to make use of it. No doubt a product-placement-driven strategy on their part, but IMO also a shortsighted one.
I am convinced that Adobe could have made Lightroom Mobile read full raws. They might even add that capability down the line. But it would have been a very different product. Pushing 1MB, 2000x2500 semi-developed files through the cloud, through variable internet connections, into a limited flash storage and a limited mobile cpu has some clear advantages compared to doing 20MB or 40MB raw files at 20MP or 36MP. It lets the user do the cloud thing (backup, availability anywhere, sharing, whatnot). It lets Adobe make a mobile product that have to read one file format instead of umpteen reverse-engineered ones (a handful new added for each release). It may make it possible to do whitebalance collectively on 30 files at once and render the result without having to run for a charger.
I now use my desktop machine for just two things: long-term data storage and print-oriented image processing. All other computing tasks are handled fine by my iPad. This includes multitrack audio recording with a full suite of recording/editing tools. It also includes all electronic-display-oriented image processing. My aim is to replace the desktop completely with a NAS/printer server, with all content creation/editing tasks handled by an iPad or other tablet device. IMO this is the way things are going. And I like it.
I also have a NAS as my local "cloud" (I even get to own my data). I am in no hurry to replace my stationary desktop with an iPad (I would probably go for a laptop before going for an iPad as my main computing device).

While there are many inexpensive apps for mobile devices, it seems that the overall software quality/QA as well as flexibility is incredibly low. At least for Android, iOS might be somewhat better.

-h
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:10:25 am by hjulenissen »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 01:45:31 am »

I am convinced that Adobe could have made Lightroom Mobile read full raws.

Lightroom and ACR support raw files from over 300 cameras...from my Phase One IQ 180 (80MP) down to my Sony RX100 II to my lowly Digital Rebel. So, you really wanna try to process 80MP raw files on an iPad? So, if Adobe released LrM 1.0 to support a subset of the raw files supported in LR 5.4, how do you think Adobe should have triaged raw file formats? Support only the smaller raw files? Only support the most recent raw files?

So, you are convinced Adobe COULD have done this, but pretend you are the LrM product manager...would you support 80MP raws as well as 22MP raws and 16MP raws?

Do you have any idea what the performance would be like trying to adjust an 80MP IQ 180 capture would be like? Do you really think Adobe is stupid? They did what they could do with what they have in the time frame they had to do it. LrM is an "add on" app for subscribers of the Photoshop + Lightroom CC subscribers (or an inducement to join the CC).

Personally, it's no skin off my nose either way...I tested LrM and made my opinion known during testing...LrM is, what it is. Some people may find it useful. At some point in the future when more features are added, others many find it more useful. At this point the only use I'll put LrM to is to see what it's like and then wait till I find it useful for my workflow. Now? Not so much...in the future? I'll see. But as a subscriber, it costs me nothing other than the time it takes to download and install. Again, no skin off my nose.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 01:47:25 am »

Get a friggin' laptop...

Greg Hensel

• Greg Hensel Photography
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:54 am »

Does anyone know if Lightroom Mobile is ColorTrue aware or if there are plans for it to be?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:34 am »

Does anyone know if Lightroom Mobile is ColorTrue aware or if there are plans for it to be?
How is Lr mobile useful for editing when it does not appear to be color managed?

It's not colour managed - the iPad isn't. So Mobile just isn't designed for the finest quality part of the workflow. Instead it's more the equivalent of Quick Develop - broad adjustments when you're down the pub or waiting for a train or just sitting with the family watching the TV. Later, once you're in front of your fancy colour-managed monitor, those adjustments are already synchronised into your catalogue and you've freed up time for fine tuning.

hjulenissen

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:00 am »

1. Lightroom and ACR support raw files from over 300 cameras...from my Phase One IQ 180 (80MP) down to my Sony RX100 II to my lowly Digital Rebel. So, you really wanna try to process 80MP raw files on an iPad?
2. So, if Adobe released LrM 1.0 to support a subset of the raw files supported in LR 5.4, how do you think Adobe should have triaged raw file formats? Support only the smaller raw files? Only support the most recent raw files?
3. So, you are convinced Adobe COULD have done this, but pretend you are the LrM product manager...would you support 80MP raws as well as 22MP raws and 16MP raws?
4. Do you have any idea what the performance would be like trying to adjust an 80MP IQ 180 capture would be like?
I do think that I touched all of those questions in my original post (of which you quoted only the first sentence). Actually, I am a bit surprised that you ask what I think about these things. Did you not care to read the post through before hitting reply, and if not, would you read more carefully if I restated my view as a response to your questions?
Do you really think Adobe is stupid?
Like many large corporations, I imagine that they have a lot of clever people on payroll, and that as an organization they are capable of really bright stuff and really stupid stuff. Not unheard of for both to happen within the same time-frame and the same group.

-h
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:09:47 am by hjulenissen »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:29 am »

I am convinced that Adobe could have made Lightroom Mobile read full raws. They might even add that capability down the line. But it would have been a very different product. Pushing 1MB, 2000x2500 semi-developed files through the cloud, through variable internet connections, into a limited flash storage and a limited mobile cpu has some clear advantages compared to doing 20MB or 40MB raw files at 20MP or 36MP. It lets the user do the cloud thing (backup, availability anywhere, sharing, whatnot). It lets Adobe make a mobile product that have to read one file format instead of umpteen reverse-engineered ones (a handful new added for each release). It may make it possible to do whitebalance collectively on 30 files at once and render the result without having to run for a charger.I also have a NAS as my local "cloud" (I even get to own my data). I am in no hurry to replace my stationary desktop with an iPad (I would probably go for a laptop before going for an iPad as my main computing device).

While there are many inexpensive apps for mobile devices, it seems that the overall software quality/QA as well as flexibility is incredibly low. At least for Android, iOS might be somewhat better.

-h

Yes, as Schewe mentions, Adobe could have done this, but it is not the right time to do this given the current hardware and size of RAW files. It's release 1.0 and maybe also a putting the toe on the water to test it and the reactions form customers and the marketplace. What I see is that this product on the iPad can become a full fledged editing tool over time and full RAW support can be added when it makes sense to do so. I'm convinced that the Adobe engineers have done the internals of the product such that this can be done and that all the editing and presentation tools will work based on a rendered RAW images as well.

We might well see future iPad's that can be color managed and also with larger screens and more powerful processors to facilitate the needs of photographers (and others). You may still need to go back to your laptop with an external screen to fine tune the images like to also have to do if you edit on a laptop on the road.

I have now set LRM up to be a presentation tool for my pictures in parallel with PhotoMgrPro and it works well for that. Any edits in my main Lightroom catalog will be reflected when I open the iPad and automatically. Any images I add to any of the collections will be synched automatically and also any images taken out of the collections will be removed automatically. I big step up from the other tools where I need to go and publish whenever there is a change and in all publish folders where there is a change plus I need to synch explicitly. Wrt. color management, I find that there are differences to my calibrated 30" HP screen but the differences are small enough and the shadows are not blocky as long as the brightness of the iPad screen is set adequately. I have used the iPad for presentation for quite some time and it has been working very well for that and had no negative comments on the presentation.

So for now this is my use of LRM, but if local edits are added I may even do some editing on the iPad as well, but I prefer to work directly on my MBP with or without the external screen. I always bring it on my travels anyway and could not see an iPad replace it anytime soon. What I do is to take my best shots and synch with the iPad for showing and now I can do this on the road even with a normal hotel WiFi network and internet speed. Sitting at a dinner table showing pictures on an iPad is so much more convenient than using a MacBook!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up