Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about potential Sony A7R purchase...  (Read 20188 times)

scooby70

Re: Question about potential Sony A7R purchase...
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:18:33 pm »

I'm another Sony user (A7) who isn't too upset by the shutter. My 20D sounded like an anvil being thrown into a tin bath and although my 5D was quieter I don't find the A7 too bad, anyone who's ever owned a 20D wouldn't :D

Ref. KPV and the comment about focusing in dark scenes... I only have one AF lens, the 28-70mm, and it'll focus in light much lower than any DSLR I've ever owned, it hunts back and forward but it gets there long after my DSLR's would have given up. :)

CptZar

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 01:27:06 am »

I am very happy with mine. I just watched a video for the A6000 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXwCGWb7Yg which gives an overview of it's functions. Lot of those are the same as of the A7r. I had no idea, how much cool technology is in the Sony. And that after shooting it for months.  If I was shooting people, which I don't do enough, that face recognition, registration and then tracking function would really excite me. By the way one of the things, which would just not be possible with an OVF.

I don't see the shutter shake problems and if some images do not habe a 36MP resolution but more a 24MP resolution, I couldn't care less. Lens line up? Choose whatever you want. They all fit. Native lenses? 16-35 coming very soon, 24-70, imho an excellent lens, a very sharp 70-200. 50/1.8 which is one of the best lenses you will find, only outperformed by the Otus, and that only wide open. More primes announced.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-sony-will-announce-plenty-of-new-a-and-e-mount-lenses-at-photokina/

Lossy compression? There is tons of discussion out there. Actually I remember a very interesting thread here at

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=87260.20

Anything missing? Ah, I forgot weight and size, half of a DSLR.

The D810? There will always be a new kid on the block. And the next A7 or A9, however they may call it, will have the fastest autofocus, EFC, and all the other distractions people find now will be gone.

Isn't that a train o jump on?

Cheers

Jan

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:33:56 am by CptZar »

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 01:49:45 am »

CptZar,
Your Sony link didn't work.
Is this the link you were referring to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVqclUITyfU

CptZar

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:58 am »

CptZar,
Your Sony link didn't work.
Is this the link you were referring to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVqclUITyfU

Ups, sorry, no its a different link. I updated it, should work now. But this one is quite interesting too.

Cheers

jan
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:44:36 am by CptZar »

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 05:05:45 am »

I saw some video on the AF in the a6000 as well and it does look pretty cool.

The A7r interests me in the weight as much as anything else.
What hold me back (besides being very happy with the 800e ;)) is the range of lenses.
Sure, there's good ones there if reviews are to be believed, but it seems to be taking a long time to get a full line-up.

IMHO, being the newer kid on the block, Sony should have had more lenses ready to go to properly compete with Nikon and Canon.

CptZar

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 07:08:15 am »

Yes, but you should be fair. They are pushing really hard. A7, A7r, A7s, 24-70, 70-200, 55, 35, 16-35 round the corner.... etc. All in less than a year. This is not just a new model, but a totally new revolutionary system at the cutting edge of technology, and to place it properly takes tremendous effort. Nikon and Canon are using their old mounts. There is nothing new, beside maybe an updated lens or a new sensor.

I actually think it is pretty impressive what they have achieved in that short time. And this is just the beginning.

Cheers

Jan

Vladimirovich

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:55 am »

This is not just a new model, but a totally new revolutionary system at the cutting edge of technology
I am sorry - what is "totally new revolutionary" about it ? e-mount is quite old and even FF e-mount cameras existed before A7* ...

CptZar

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »

I am sorry - what is "totally new revolutionary" about it ? e-mount is quite old and even FF e-mount cameras existed before A7* ...

Could you please point wich FF E-Mount you are referring to?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »

Could you please point wich FF E-Mount you are referring to?

sure, since 2012

CptZar

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 03:30:56 pm »

Thank you. Just take it con grano salis. Maybe my enthusiasm got me carried away a bit.

Anyway it's OK if we don't agree. Not everybody has to be on the same page.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:51 pm »

Hi,

When the A7r arrived I decided to skip over it, there were a couple of reasons.

1) I don't think it is a "professional level" camera. The best stuff coming from Sony used to have a 9-er in the name.

2) I also felt the A7r was a bit of a rush work. The A7 has a clearly more modern sensor, with on sensor phase detection AF and electronic first curtain (EFC). The EFC makes for a faster response time and also reduces vibrations. On the A7r the shutter needs to be cocked before exposure, that takes time and causes extra vibrations.

3) I was somewhat questioning the lens situation.

4) I always carry a 70-400/4-5.6 zoom, and such a lens will always be big. So a small camera is not important to me.

There was another reason, and that was that I have made a significant spending on MFD, serving my appetite for MPs.

I will certainly wait for Photokina, before buying any Sony equipment.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Guys,
I usually hang out in the medium format forum, but today, I have a question about the Sony A7R and I thought I would stop by here to ask it!
So, super quick history...
I shoot professionally and primarily use a Canon 1Dx and a Phase One 645DF+ with a Credo 60 back.  I have a plethora of Canon lenses and a few Phase lenses as well.

My carry-around camera is currently a Sony NEX-7.  With it, I have the Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and the Sony 18mm-200mm f3.5-f6.3 lenses.  I pretty much keep the 18-200 on it all the time and I keep this camera with me at all times in my bag.  I also have the Metabones adapter to use my Canon lenses on the NEX-7, however, I rarely use it.

I am seriously looking at the A7R as a replacement to the NEX-7 and have convinced myself it is a camera I would like to own, however, I am a little unclear on the lens choices.  So, here are a few questions...
  • As I understand it, the appropriate lenses for the A7R are the "FE" lenses, correct?
  • I assume I cannot use my 18-200mm on it without it vignetting, correct?
  • If I wanted a reasonable medium tele-zoom, what are your recommendations?
  • Are there any lenses (of any focal length) that are very highly recommended for the A7R that retain full AF functionality?
  • In most of my work and play I like to shoot at f2.0 and f2.8, are there lenses that are suitable for the A7R that fall in this category?
  • If anyone has any other recommendations as to lens choices for use with the A7R, keeping in mind that the lens should be manageable to fit in a day bag, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations,
Ken

www.transposure.com

Erik Kaffehr

Vladimirovich

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »

The A7 has a clearly more modern sensor, with on sensor phase detection AF
PDAF (except from Canon) is not a sensor property... it is implemented on CFA level... as for EFCS it is again a tricky question... I will give you an example - a 16mp sensor from Panasonic used in E-M1 and GH4... when both cameras were released there was no EFCS support, yet recently Olympus introduced a firmware update and voila... but Panasonic GH4 (with Panasonic sensor) still does not have that... so the situation might be not related to what sensor can or can't do... and E-M1 has PDAF on sensor and GH4 does not - another example of the different approaches not related to what sensor itself is capable of
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:47:23 pm by Vladimirovich »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up