Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica T-Type 701  (Read 49918 times)

OldRoy

• http://
Re: New Leica T-Type 701
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »

I have my issues with the basic look of the M240's files, but they're malleable enough that you can work 'em in post to pretty much get what you want. ....
-Dave-
A bit like most other recent cameras, I'd guess.
Roy

Robert Falconer

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

Neither does talking the talk (to borrow from another familiar phrase).

Well, one can always walk away from the talk at any time.
Official Fujifilm brand ambassador (X-Photographer) | Contributing Editor, Nikon Owner Magazine

JV

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 05:04:28 pm »

I've no doubt Leica will sell chests full of T.

I think so as well.  And the whole Leica boutique concept suddenly makes a lot more sense…

It is a boutique and lifestyle camera.  It was designed to be hip, cool and stylish.  And I believe it will deliver.

Feature wise and price wise there is no way it can compete with the Fuji X-T1 or similar cameras.  It is not even close and at double the price.

But then again if that 23mm lens delivers and if it is fun to use, why the hell not?

Nemo

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 04:52:49 am »

In my opinion this camera is a revolution, just like the iPhone was a revolution in the phones market.

In terms of design, this is a radical change or, if you prefer it, a clever turn of the screw.

Leica has suppressed all unnecessary physical controls.

It does not make any sense the interaction of a physical button or wheel with a passive screen (play, delete, set, iso... ok, up, down, right, left... and so on), when you can do the same on an active screen. More simple, more elegant, better interface. And Leica did this very well (responsive, elegant).

Leica keeps two direct controls in the T, two wheels, the same controls you had in the M and S (aperture and exposure time). In aperture priority you can transfer a different function to one of these wheels (or not).

This is ultra minimalism, but meaningful minimalism. And we will see other cameras with this same philosophy, by Leica and other manufacturers. This is the interface of the future and I would like to see this implemented on a M camera.

Leica has been the first in going so far. It is incredible Sony or Samsung did not see this. But they did not. It was Leica.

Leica's designers should be proud of this seminal innovation.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:01:17 am by Nemo »

MrSmith

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 05:55:06 am »

^ dont believe the hype people. :D
so what do you gain over a nex-3? it’s the same sensor isn’t it?

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:00 am »

^ dont believe the hype people. :D
so what do you gain over a nex-3? it’s the same sensor isn’t it?
Well, in the minds of its purchasers, they gain status. The raison d'etre of luxury brands and IMO a damning comment on our society.
Roy

scooby70

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:45 am »

Leica has suppressed all unnecessary physical controls.

It does not make any sense the interaction of a physical button or wheel with a passive screen (play, delete, set, iso... ok, up, down, right, left... and so on), when you can do the same on an active screen. More simple, more elegant, better interface. And Leica did this very well (responsive, elegant).

Using a touch screen instead of physical controls will I assume mean that you'll be able to change fewer settings with your eye to the VF and will need to do more with your eye away from the VF and the scene and instead looking at the touchscreen.

I only have one touch screen camera but I've turned the touch screen off.

My view on the camera system is that it has more to do with fashion and posing/bragging rights than taking pictures and I'm sure there's a place for that in the market and I'm also sure owning it will be nice for those who like to own nice things.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:57:03 am by scooby70 »

JV

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:27 am »

I am interested in the camera.

Initially after comparing with the Fuji X-T1 I was like what the heck?  The X-T1 appears to be a better camera in pretty much all aspects.

That being said, I do like the look of the camera very much, I like the touch screen approach, and if the 23mm is as good as they say it is and if it delivers on the IQ this could be an interesting experience.

I don't think I am really interested in slow and overpriced zooms… which is a concern because Leica only seems to have those in the road map…

An excellent review of the Leica T is the one by David Farkas which can be found here:
http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/343-Leica-T-(Typ-701)-Review
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:21:49 am by JV »

Robert Falconer

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:19 pm »

My view on the camera system is that it has more to do with fashion and posing/bragging rights than taking pictures and I'm sure there's a place for that in the market and I'm also sure owning it will be nice for those who like to own nice things.
There have always been luxury status brands. I don't have a problem with that.

What I take umbrage with is putting a luxury philosophy ahead of building a proper photographic instrument that can handle a variety of shooting situations — all because the decision was made to favor using billet aluminum for an expensive monocoque body instead of a state-of-the art sensor, or focusing system, or processor, or image stabilization, etc, etc…

Ya know, the stuff that actually matters to the photograph itself.

To me that's putting the cart before the horse.

Instead, what you end up with is very modest high ISO performance coupled with slow lenses, finished off by a lack of image stabilization. So forget about shooting this thing in low light.

That's where Leica falls down, IMO. That said, some of the stuff they did on this camera is admittedly very nice and quite interesting (and it would be awesome to see some of it show up on the next M). But most of it is extraneous to actual photography.
Official Fujifilm brand ambassador (X-Photographer) | Contributing Editor, Nikon Owner Magazine

mezzoduomo

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 11:28:58 pm »

There have always been luxury status brands. I don't have a problem with that.

What I take umbrage with is putting a luxury philosophy ahead of building a proper photographic instrument that can handle a variety of shooting situations — all because the decision was made to favor using billet aluminum for an expensive monocoque body instead of a state-of-the art sensor, or focusing system, or processor, or image stabilization, etc, etc…

Ya know, the stuff that actually matters to the photograph itself.

To me that's putting the cart before the horse.

Instead, what you end up with is very modest high ISO performance coupled with slow lenses, finished off by a lack of image stabilization. So forget about shooting this thing in low light.

That's where Leica falls down, IMO. That said, some of the stuff they did on this camera is admittedly very nice and quite interesting (and it would be awesome to see some of it show up on the next M). But most of it is extraneous to actual photography.

Lots of assumptions herein. Are you seeing sample photos that are disappointing? I have an X Vario, and I can tell you from personal experience that the low light performance is stunning, "slow" lens notwithstanding. Same non-state-of-the-art sensor, I believe. Noise simply doesn't pose a problem and the clean high ISO compensates very well for the maximum aperture of the lens.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Leica-X-Vario-sensor-review-Formidable-low-light-performance

I think the facts about the T, its lenses (like the XV lens) and Leica's processor, etc will stand up to scrutiny...of the actual output, vs. speculation and reaction to the specs. Is it expensive for what you get? Maybe, but I think that is really a matter of what one values. The MacBook Air upon which I type at the moment is, to some, a piece of crap for the money. I would not trade it for 10 PCs. I bought my XV, marching straight into the teeth of all the naysayers, haters, and speculators....and I couldn't be happier with it. The only camera I have that gives the XV a challenge in the IQ department is the Sigma DP-2 Merrill. That set me back about $800, its an ugly brick, and certainly no fashion statement. I love that one too.  ;)

Robert Falconer

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:32 am »

Lots of assumptions herein. Are you seeing sample photos that are disappointing? I have an X Vario, and I can tell you from personal experience that the low light performance is stunning, "slow" lens notwithstanding. Same non-state-of-the-art sensor, I believe. Noise simply doesn't pose a problem and the clean high ISO compensates very well for the maximum aperture of the lens.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Leica-X-Vario-sensor-review-Formidable-low-light-performance
I prefer to stick to facts, not assumptions.

I don't need to see or use the camera to know it's made out of billet aluminum and that that's a "luxury" choice not a practical one. I don't need to use the camera to know the sensor is now 4 years old. I don't need to use the camera to know it doesn't have image stabilization. I don't need to see the camera to know the lenses are slow. And I don't need to play with it to know that putting all three together equals a camera that isn't going to be a good low light performer (unless you want to tote a tripod around with you).

Just a word about tests (DxO or anyone else): conditions and samples very widely, and since there is no international body that standardizes camera tests; uses the same procedures and equipment; evaluates under the same conditions; adheres to strict criteria for the calibration of measurement equipment, etc., etc., etc., it’s wise to take all these tests with a grain of salt. I prefer real world shooting with my own eyes to make this evaluation.

I don't think the Mac vs PC analogy works here, because it's common knowledge that OSX blows away Windows legacy architecture in terms of performance, reliability, and usability. That's an apples (no pun intended) to oranges comparison.

MrSmith

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:35 am »

Even if you use the camera and like it, it's still an overpriced status bauble.
Nothing wrong with that, but why try to elevate it above the other small format mirrorless competition when it's offering nothing new?
All that's needed now is a marketing pic with an elephant standing on it's machined aluminium body. Oh has that already been done? Just like most of this camera then.

The S is quite unique as is the M-monochrome this new camera is not something to get excited about IMHO.

Manoli

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:48 am »

What I take umbrage with is putting a luxury philosophy ahead of building a proper photographic instrument ...

Umbrage ? Really ?

I prefer to stick to facts, not assumptions.

Given that your only first-hand experiences are a couple of vintage Leicas, perhaps you should try one before spouting off. I've little doubt that your damning assessment will come as a major disappointment to Leica but let's just hope they manage to overcome their despondency.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:54:25 am by Manoli »

Manoli

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 05:48:19 am »

The S is quite unique as is the M-monochrome this new camera is not something to get excited about IMHO.

In and of itself perhaps not, but again depends who's buying.

Robert Falconer

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 06:01:59 am »

Umbrage ? Really ?

Given that your only first-hand experiences are a couple of vintage Leicas, perhaps you should try one before spouting off. I've little doubt that your damning assessment will come as a major disappointment to Leica but let's just hope they manage to overcome their despondency.

Sarcasm is a poor substitute for intelligence.

And my first-hand experience extends beyond vintage Leicas.

Manoli

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:51 am »

Sarcasm is a poor substitute for intelligence.

Facetious more than sarcastic ...

Robert Falconer

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:18 am »

Why use the camera

I won't.

Just talk the talk.

Beats drinking Kool-Aid.

Robert Falconer

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 06:14:52 am »

Facetious more than sarcastic ...

Oh, well then … you might want to polish your prose a bit more the next time.

That's facetious.

viewfinder

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 06:54:49 am »

There are several aspects to the 'T' that have made me sit up and take notice;........At last we have a European take on mirrorless cameras and it's a refreshing one at that.    You either 'get' that less is more or you don't.   Presumably none of the far east makers do, and they look at cameras as collections of selling points that may be quite useless for actually making images in real situations.   The 'T' does not do this as it represents an attempt to 'design for purpose'.         If only other makers can see the same clarity at a cheaper price then people like me might be able to find a decent model that they can forget and just use to make images!

As for "facts rather than assumptions"....Leica do not use Sony sensors and this sensor is not 4 years old.  also there is no AA filter.    The CNC machining from solid is not actually intended as a selling point (even if the ad-men are trying to turn it into a plus!), the fact is that many small low volume parts and reduced production runs are made by CNC because it's cost effective due to lack of expensive die-casting moulds and facilities.    Lastly the 45 minute polishing by hand is be no means either excessive or unusual in high quality low volume production....many areas of top quality manufacture use much more and longer hand finishing even in the age of robots.    Luxury cars, quality clocks and watches, optical instruments and many items in the defence industry are laboriously hand polished and finished over many hours.

Telecaster

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »

I enjoy taking pics with my phone & its minimalist interface. It's a different thing to using a rangefinder or an SLR, but it works really well. IMO putting a good amount of the T's interface on the rear LCD makes sense, if for no other reason than in terms of appeal to folks familiar & comfortable with touch surfaces. Curmudgeons may grumble, but this camera isn't for them. (It's not for me either...the last thing I need is more photo gear.)

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up