Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The spot of dead! dust spot on the IR or on the sensor?  (Read 2427 times)

Lorenzo Pierucci

• Work hard & be nice to people
    • Lorenzo Pierucci Studio
The spot of dead! dust spot on the IR or on the sensor?
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:48 am »

Hi forum,
I'm again here with a question for the collective experience.

I attached a Jpeg: is a 100% crop of my valeo 22. The back is working flawless with my 4x5 and stitching, but i notice while editing those spots. I had the sensor clean periodically but hey are always there. The sensor as been open to replace the IR once, so I'm worry that those are on my sensor.

If so, how can i handle that?

I point that i live in TAIWAN which have no phase one or mamiya or leaf or any assistance, which is sad. The only leaf representative keep push to buy a new leaf Aptus, which i will love to do maybe in some year, but looks they don't want to handle the situation.

I ve bought the Phaseone digicliean: i used once on the IR and make a mess… stripe of cleaner on the sensor….  ???

Any help, will be always welcome

Tnx guys for read this !

Work hard & be nice to people

jerome_m

Re: The spot of dead! dust spot on the IR or on the sensor?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:29 am »

Note where the larger spots are on the picture. Examine the same place on your sensor, taking into account that the image is reversed. Look at the backside of the glass. Tell us what you see or take a picture of it (using the macro mode of a point and shoot or cell phone, for example).

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:46 am »

There are some small dirt spot on the IR, not dust spot but more like "attached to it". In a way that a blower won't work.
I dont want to open the IR again unless is just for a sure remedy action, so i can't avoid more dust particles to get in.  :-\

The thing that worry me is that normal dust spot are gray dots, those have a black point in the middle, as if they are bit more sharp, ergo on the sensor it self….

Just a thought, please tell me I'm wrong.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:10 am »

I can't tell if they are under the IR/cover glass or not, but they appear to be drops of a liquid, not dust.  You can see a distinct ring out wards from the center.

I would try the following.

Get a good loupe, and a LED flashlight, and look hard at the sensor and see if you can see anything of these spots.   Most times these will show up under 5x to 10x mag and good light.  A back is much easier to work with since you don't have a camera body to dig down into.

To be honest, if you don't see them, it's possible they are under the IR/cover glass and got on there during the repair.  

You have the Phase One kit, but try cleaning again with just solution B, the clear one.  

I would try only cleaning with fluid B first.  Make just two swipes, with the plastic piece that comes with the kit.  The B Fluid should not streak.      It might take two series of cleanings but with the leaf wipes and solution B  you will get a good clean.  

The big issue, is that these appear to be a dried fluid, and I don't think just using the B solution will get them off.  

If you have to use solution A:

Use with the same leaf wipes, you can also just use it on a wipe under your finger.  Use gloves on your hand so no skin oil can get through.  Just rub around the area where the spots appear to be.  As mentioned my Jerome, it's upside down from where they show on the image.  

After this, use Solution B again.  This will remove the streaking you got from A.  Again it might take several attempts, but it will do it.  

One last thought, is Visible dust makes 2 solutions just for this type of problem, and you might try one of them or both:

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=305

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=303

The key is to see if you can locate these spots on the outer surface of your IR/cover glass, as if you can't find them, then they have to be under it and only Leaf can clean that.   You most definitely don't want to take that cover off, unless you have access to a clean room, no way can you get it back on without something being attached. 

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:51:52 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:13 am »

I can't tell if they are under the IR/cover glass or not, but they appear to be drops of a liquid, not dust.  You can see a distinct ring out wards from the center.

I would try the following.

Get a good loupe, and a LED flashlight, and look hard at the sensor and see if you can see anything of these spots.   Most times these will show up under 5x to 10x mag and good light.  A back is much easier to work with since you don't have a camera body to dig down into.

To be honest, if you don't see them, it's possible they are under the IR/cover glass and got on there during the repair.  

You have the Phase One kit, but try cleaning again with just solution B, the clear one.  

I would try only cleaning with fluid B first.  Make just two swipes, with the plastic piece that comes with the kit.  The B Fluid should not streak.      It might take two series of cleanings but with the leaf wipes and solution B  you will get a good clean.  

The big issue, is that these appear to be a dried fluid, and I don't think just using the B solution will get them off.  

If you have to use solution A:

Use with the same leaf wipes, you can also just use it on a wipe under your finger.  Use gloves on your hand so no skin oil can get through.  Just rub around the area where the spots appear to be.  As mentioned my Jerome, it's upside down from where they show on the image.  

After this, use Solution B again.  This will remove the streaking you got from A.  Again it might take several attempts, but it will do it.  

One last thought, is Visible dust makes 2 solutions just for this type of problem, and you might try one of them or both:

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=305

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=303

The key is to see if you can locate these spots on the outer surface of your IR/cover glass, as if you can't find them, then they have to be under it and only Leaf can clean that.   You most definitely don't want to take that cover off, unless you have access to a clean room, no way can you get it back on without something being attached. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul that's is a great lot of information. I will try this tomorrow as the solution is at the studio.
I will feedback as soon as i finish.

Thanks!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:48:20 pm »

Good luck with this - hopefully easy to clean off.  Paul already wrote you some good tips … the only thing I can ad is that to use the cleaning fluid very sparingly. You don't need much at all.
Rolleiflex USA

jerome_m

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »

From the look of it, his could be mould. The darker center surrounded by a lighter zone is relatively typical. Try to clean it with a wipe and distilled water (isopropyl alcohol won't clean mould, but plain water works very well). If it does not clean, it is on the underside of the glass and you'll need to have the glass exchanged.

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:52 am »

Bad news.

I did as suggested, using a finger with cloves and then rub gently, i then make some more spots. So i take it to my Taiwanise camera repairs ( definitely not dust free place ).

They did a GREAT job in remove everything, BUT THE ONES I JUST DID RUBBING… I'm so depressed.  :'(

Good thing there is no more then one with black spots in the center and a ICC profile SHOULD take care of it. But I can't ICC profile from camera Raw, and i will be force to use leaf capture ( which is obsolete ), as Valeo is not C1 supported.

I wills start to save for a new IR filter i guess…. depression.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »

Lorenzo,

In Leaf Capture you can create a custom lens calibration file and load it to the back so that the RAW files you create when shooting tethered will not show the spots. which means you can have spot-free images to work with in Adobe Camera Raw.

However; a customer calibration file might not correct all the spots and if your IR filter collects any additional dust, you will have to create another file.

Note that this is reversible so you can always go back to the factory file.

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »

Lorenzo,

In Leaf Capture you can create a custom lens calibration file and load it to the back so that the RAW files you create when shooting tethered will not show the spots. which means you can have spot-free images to work with in Adobe Camera Raw.

However; a customer calibration file might not correct all the spots and if your IR filter collects any additional dust, you will have to create another file.

Note that this is reversible so you can always go back to the factory file.

BR

Yair

On it. Will do some product shoot this afternoon and try this technique. keep u post

Thanks a lot for this
Pages: [1]   Go Up