Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Site left column ADs  (Read 5766 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Re: Site left column ADs
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »

You know, there's a perfectly simple solution to this. Safari has a "Reader" feature that discards everything but the article and lets you read it unbothered by the intentions of the site designer / publisher. I suppose Chrome and most other browsers have similar features, either built-in or as plugins. Problem solved - and without upsetting the advertisers.

It would be nice if it also had a feature to blank out the unbelievably rude and offensive comments from Michael's self-appointed Rottweiler too. Especially as such example seems to lead forum visitors to believe they've been granted licence to tell others to f*** off. I'm sure that really impresses advertisers....
--
David Mantripp

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:47 pm »

You can ignore any user you want - the forum has that fucntionality.  No need to complain, just take action.
Phil Brown

daws

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:57 pm »

It would be nice if it also had a feature to blank out the unbelievably rude and offensive comments from Michael's self-appointed Rottweiler too. Especially as such example seems to lead forum visitors to believe they've been granted licence to tell others to f*** off. I'm sure that really impresses advertisers....
You can ignore any user you want - the forum has that fucntionality.  No need to complain, just take action.

Yep. Just go to Profile | Modify Profile | Personal Message Options. Type in the name of the user you want to ignore, spelled exactly as it appears in the forum, click "Change profile," and voila! Instant relief. Faster than antacid tablets, with no unpleasant aftertaste.

;)

LKaven

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 07:37:27 pm »

So we can all just ignore each other?  What happened to working out issues socially for the good of the many?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:38 am »

You know, there's a perfectly simple solution to this. Safari has a "Reader" feature that discards everything but the article and lets you read it unbothered by the intentions of the site designer / publisher...

I second that. Which one would you rather look at:

daws

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »

So we can all just ignore each other?  What happened to working out issues socially for the good of the many?

The "Ignore" function exists so that the many don't have to suffer the issues of the unsocial few.

LKaven

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:11 pm »

The "Ignore" function exists so that the many don't have to suffer the issues of the unsocial few.

I do understand this, even if I have mixed feelings about its use.  It's probably more a question of the few not having to suffer the pain of the few.  Once the many get involved, the perpetrator is going to get sanctioned.

daws

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »

I do understand this, even if I have mixed feelings about its use.

Somewhat mitigating the downside of the Ignore function is that the Ignoree is gone but not forgotten: the Ignorer sees a placeholder for the Ignoree's post, and is given the option to "Click here to read this post."

Once the many get involved, the perpetrator is going to get sanctioned.

True enough -- unless the perpetrator is a top dog in a site's administration, in which case the many are told to Like It Or Leave It.  ;)

LKaven

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:09 pm »

True enough -- unless the perpetrator is a top dog in a site's administration, in which case the many are told to Like It Or Leave It.  ;)

HA!  Good one.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »

If you are referring to me, then your characterization on my involvement in this site's admin is wonky. I'm not a site admin...I make no money from the LuLa website other than a percent of the video tutorials I do with the site admins. If you think I have magical powers here on LuLa, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in the forums, I'm just a regular "Joe". One that doesn't take shyte from anybody and gives as good as I get. If you think I have more "freedom" than other posting here, I'm pretty sure you are wrong other than the fact I'm pretty good at getting right up to the line without crossing it. Some people don't exhibit that skill and get yelled at.

Yeah, Mike, Chris and Kev are friends...does that get me a little more leeway? Not that I'm aware of. For the most part, everybody here lives in a pretty unmoderated environment unless you cross the line and go over the top.

Sorry, but somebody posting their first post on the forums complaining about advertising does deserve kid gloves from me. You go back and tell me exactly where I said anything derogatory other than point out the OP's first post was an ill mannered complaint. I call things as I see them...sorry (not really) if you don't like that. You know what you can do about it :~)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 11:21:54 pm »

Tom Brown
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up