Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Lightroom5 Previews.lrdata file location question  (Read 11936 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: A Lightroom5 Previews.lrdata file location question
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:49 am »

It's not just a matter of "you can" - it's "you should".

The important thing is have both a backup of the catalog in a consistent state and a backup. If you already have a full backup strategy for your machine (and associated drives) it does not matter if this backup folder that Lightroom saves the consistent backups to is on the same drive or not. But it is absolutely essential to distinguish between the two purposes of the "backup". Backup will easily get misunderstood.

In my opinion one should not have a separate backup strategy for the catalog "backups" that is different than for the rest of the system. Everything including catalogs, RAW and associated image files, documents, etc.  should be backed up on several copies on different media and be in different physical locations.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:47 am »

We don't differ much, Hans, but I'd take  a belt and braces approach and insist that the Lightroom-made backups should also be separated.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »

We don't differ much, Hans, but I'd take  a belt and braces approach and insist that the Lightroom-made backups should also be separated.

Probably not and I do agree on a belt and braces approach. My approach is just different in that I don't see the Lightroom catalog or it's consistent backups as anything special wrt. backups. I run Time Machine backups on at least two different HD's each day and I also will make Lightroom "backups" regularly and especially if I have made large changes to the catalog. So maybe once a week except in the special cases with big changes. The Lightroom catalog itself is included in the Time Machines backups and I exclude the previews from the backups. A proper backup strategy is way too often neglected by photographers from my experience.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:33:08 pm »

I wish I could separate previews from catalogue from within LR.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:37 pm »

I wish I could separate previews from catalogue from within LR.

You tried symbolic links / aliases?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »

I should have been more explicit and said "from within LR, so not having to use workarounds like symbolic links/aliases"
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up