Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

6 cm × 7 cm: The Future of Ideal Format

<< < (4/4)

Ken R:

--- Quote from: Wayne Fox on March 05, 2014, 04:44:12 pm ---Film is seeing a small resurgence. Just visited with some old friends that survived all the turmoil and are part of the new privately held Kodak alaris and film sales have increased for certain films over the past few years. Not significant, but enough that is seems somewhat stabilized.  Some films are not so popular, so I think you are right, some will disappear, but I think some film products will be around for a quite a while.

--- End quote ---

The one place I truly miss film is in the movie theatre. DCP Projections look nice and clean (too clean IMHO) but I just love the look of film projected on the big screen. Film prints from digital files look really really nice so I do not mind films shot on digital.

Film is all but gone in most mainstream photo markets. At least as a capture medium. It survives as a niche product for some enthusiasts and pros. So film will still be offered for years to come and we might even see a small resurgence in some small markets since it offers something different but I doubt any big company is going to put money into developing new films etc.

david distefano:

--- Quote from: Ken R on March 04, 2014, 07:36:40 pm ---I doubt we will see much higher resolution from the 35mm size sensors than what is already out there so that format is at its limit.

--- End quote ---

i believe that nikon/sony will produce a high 40 low 50 mp sensor. i don't think we have seen the end yet.

BJL:

--- Quote from: david distefano on March 05, 2014, 05:53:38 pm ---i believe that nikon/sony will produce a high 40 low 50 mp sensor. i don't think we have seen the end yet.

--- End quote ---
Agreed. There is a record of pixel sizes that are offered first in the mainstream 24x16mm format later making it to 36x24mm sensors, and the 4 micron pixel pitch of Sony's 24MP 24x16mm sensors is satisfying many photographers with its pixel level performance and the ability of at least some lenses to provide adequate resolution. So I expect Sony to offer roughly 4 micron pixels in 36x24 eventually, for 9000x6000 = 54MP.

And before anyone complains about diffraction: when stopped down for a given DOF, diffraction at the "per-pixel" level would be the same as with the same pixel count in any other format, and less than with 80MP MF sensors. The "penalty" is only that a smaller format achieves any given DOF/diffraction balance at a lower f-stop, and so with a lower ISO speed and/or a higher shutter speed.

Not that I would be even slightly interested, but it would sell well enough ...

EricWHiss:

--- Quote from: Wayne Fox on March 05, 2014, 04:44:12 pm ---Film is seeing a small resurgence. Just visited with some old friends that survived all the turmoil and are part of the new privately held Kodak alaris and film sales have increased for certain films over the past few years. Not significant, but enough that is seems somewhat stabilized.  Some films are not so popular, so I think you are right, some will disappear, but I think some film products will be around for a quite a while.

--- End quote ---

More than half the new Rolleiflex cameras I am selling are for film only use, probably two thirds actually. Also a lot of new film users coming into the Harvey Milk Photo Center. A lot of activity in the alternative process realm - wet plate, tin type, cyanotype, platinum/palladium areas as well.   I myself starting shooting film again after years. Sometimes I'll shoot most of the project with digital and then put on the film back when I am liking what I'm getting.   I do see some advantages at least in look for some types of images.  It's just really nice to be able to have the option to shoot either.   Also shooting more 4x5 and 5x7 as well.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version