Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

6 cm × 7 cm: The Future of Ideal Format

(1/4) > >>

Atina:
What does the future look like for the 6 cm × 7 cm format?

Is it true that the last models of 6 cm × 7 cm cameras have already been produced, and that neither Mamiya, Pentax, nor Voigtländer intend to get back to developing more advanced versions of their cameras for the format?

How did what is known as the "ideal format" become a thing of the past?

What are the reasons for there not going to be a digital 6 cm × 7 cm back in the near future?

With Kodak stopping the production of its color reversal film Etachrome in 2012, are the other reversal films in danger of being extinguished too in the not-so-far future?

Are there any of you who use it today as their main format? Which cameras and films do you use? How likely are you to switch to digital medium format in the very near future?

Theodoros:

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---What does the future look like for the 6 cm × 7 cm format?

Is it true that the last models of 6 cm × 7 cm cameras have already been produced, and that neither Mamiya, Pentax, nor Voigtländer intend to get back to developing more advanced versions of their cameras for the format?

How did what is known as the "ideal format" become a thing of the past?

What are the reasons for there not going to be a digital 6 cm × 7 cm back in the near future?

With Kodak stopping the production of its color reversal film Etachrome in 2012, are the other reversal films in danger of being extinguished too in the not-so-far future?

Are there any of you who use it today as their main format? Which cameras and films do you use? How likely are you to switch to digital medium format in the very near future?

--- End quote ---

1. There is no such think as "ideal format"… I deal format is for the individual, the one that fulfils his/hers needs…
2.You can't expect from makers to replace models that have (nearly) no customers… do you?
3.A 6x7 MFDB? ….are you serious?  ??? Do you know any MF maker (sensor or camera) that wants to commit suicide?

DanielStone:
"Ideal" is the term Linhof put on the 6x7 format, IIRC ;)

Anywho, I like the 3:4 ratio of my GX680 system(thanks FredBGG for the recommendation early last year!), and that happens to also be the same ratio as most digital backs.

IMO, if manufacturers of digital backs were going to design a new back for a bigger chip, they should go with 6x8, cuz you can always chop a wee bit off each side if you want to get that "ideal" 6x7 format :)

It'd be nice to breathe some digital life with a 40-60mp 6x8 sensor into the GX lineup, and I'm sure the Alpa users wouldn't mind either, since they're designed for up to 6x9 film

Dan

ondebanks:

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---What does the future look like for the 6 cm × 7 cm format?

--- End quote ---

Pretty good for those who continue to use film, or who can tolerate large crop factors with their digital backs. But it's in steady state...the future will resemble the present...they'll be using the same bodies and lenses for a long time.

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---Is it true that the last models of 6 cm × 7 cm cameras have already been produced, and that neither Mamiya, Pentax, nor Voigtländer intend to get back to developing more advanced versions of their cameras for the format?

--- End quote ---

Nobody can answer conclusively re. any manufacturers' unstated intentions. But new developments are so highly unlikely that one can safely assume no further development in this area.

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---How did what is known as the "ideal format" become a thing of the past?

--- End quote ---

Digital cameras and backs displaced it in the professional sphere. Amateurs in medium format mostly used 645 and 6x6 cameras.

Anyway, if what you like about 6x7 film as the "ideal format" is its aspect ratio, then any 4:3 camera or back comes close, and a wee bit of long-side cropping takes care of the rest.

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---What are the reasons for there not going to be a digital 6 cm × 7 cm back in the near future?

--- End quote ---
Cost.
Lack of updated 6x7 cameras to mount a 6x7 back on. For nearly 15 years now, the only MF systems being developed have been 645 or smaller format. One exception - the 6x6 Hy6 - still not 6x7.

--- Quote from: Atina on March 03, 2014, 08:20:53 am ---With Kodak stopping the production of its color reversal film Etachrome in 2012, are the other reversal films in danger of being extinguished too in the not-so-far future?

--- End quote ---
Yes. No. Maybe. How can anyone who isn't a senior Fujifilm insider answer this question?

Ray

Rob C:
Correct about the Linhof source for the term; I remember it well.

There may be enough existing/sustained incentive for Fuji to continue producing 120 rolls as well as their version of E6. I don't expect there will be anything much new coming from camera builders, and since there's no competition with colour transparencies, why change a thing there - just keep churnin' out what's already selling.

Perhaps as worrying for those who want to walk the hybrid route - probably many will prefer the ease of that to messing about in the glow of a darkroom light - is the future availability of dedicated film scanners. And price thereof. Already too high for such as I.

I don't really see any comparison between MF film and MF digital; the digital pricing structure seems to me to be of an entirely different kind to the old film camera one. I had several top brands of film MF cameras, enjoyed the experience with some of them, but certainly can't afford the digi options.

Rob C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version