Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Revived  (Read 1719 times)

holmherzer

Epson 4900 Revived
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:04:08 am »

My Epson 4900 is about 3 years old. I am a hobbyist so my printer doesn't get a lot of use. After struggling with a clog or drop out in the black channel that took a week of cleanings to fix, I started running a print head check every couple of days, and I would print a test print once a week.

I was getting ready to make some prints, and first ran a print head check, all was good. I had to change from PK to MK and when I did I completely lost the black channel. I tried multiple cleanings, and read everything I could find. I tried soaking the print head in the docking station, and the paper towel soak. I was nervous about Windex so I used print head cleaner I got from Inkjet Carts. Nothing changed.

I was told that if you lose a whole channel it is most likely the dampers. I bought the repair manual and found that on the 4900 the dampers are part of a assembly not sold separately. It also looked like something only and experienced repair tech should tackle. Well after a while with the printer sitting, I lost all ink flow out of the print head. With the printer this dead I had nothing to lose in taking it apart.

I got it apart and tried to push fluid thru the ink selector  backward. I could get good flow thru every damper except black. I didn't know if it was plugged or if this was because of the way the black switching works. I found an Ink selector at   http://www.compassmicro.com/index.cfm, for close to $200.00.  While I was waiting for that to arrive I `did the paper towel soak again, then I took a syringe with tubing, full of cleaning solution and pulled vacuum on the intake side of the print head. I was told not to push fluid thru the print head as that could damage the head. There were a few bubbles in the syringe so I knew air was coming thru the head and when I released the plunger it would draw back slightly because of the vacuum.

I got the new selector installed and recharged the system with the maintenance program. the first print head check wasn't good so I recharged both sides a second time. Now I have a good pattern on every color, except the black,it isn't perfect, but it's close. I went for a year without being able to get anything out of the black, and they all stopped after a while. Now I am printing again. I just thought I would share my experience.

I now have a humidifier, in the room with the printer and I will print out a test print every couple of days. That will be cheaper than all the ink and maintenance tanks I bought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up