Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper for Portraits?  (Read 5378 times)

pikeys

• My Pics
Paper for Portraits?
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:47:04 pm »

Need some suggestions,for the above
Windows,Epson R3000 printer?

Tnx,
Mike

hugowolf

Re: Paper for Portraits?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:38 am »

That would be a totally subjective thing: based on you and the image in question.

That said, most of my portrait clients go for smooth or lightly textured matte papers; namely Canson Rag Photographique and Hahnemühle German Etching, and ocassionally a softer/velvet paper like Canson BFK Rives.

Brian A

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:48 am »

That would be a totally subjective thing: based on you and the image in question.

That said, most of my portrait clients go for smooth or lightly textured matte papers; namely Canson Rag Photographique and Hahnemühle German Etching, and ocassionally a softer/velvet paper like Canson BFK Rives.

Brian A

Thanks Brian,
Think I might try the German Etching

Mike

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

I use Epson Cold Press Natural for most of my portraits.  Tried the Hot Press, but prefer the texture of the Cold Press. 
Mike Guilbault

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 04:28:01 pm »

I use Epson Cold Press Natural for most of my portraits.  Tried the Hot Press, but prefer the texture of the Cold Press.  

Mike-Thanks for your suggestion.
I looked at this paper,& I have a question-isn't the thickness a bit too much-345gsm,or am I reading this wrong?
Its like printing on cardboard-No?

By the by,I looked at your images,-OUTSTANDING!!
I sent your link to a few of my other photography buddies.-hopefully this will get you a sale or two..???

Mike S.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:36:47 pm by pikeys »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:20:02 pm »

It's exactly the thickness that is so appealing.  I promote it as archival fine art paper - the same paper I use for my fine art landscapes (which fill my gallery) and I have a sample that I pass to the customer.  As soon as they hold it in their hands, they're sold. They can 'feel' the quality.
Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:14 pm »

There are a lot of heavier papers: Epson Somerset Velvet 505 gsm, Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper 500 gsm, Hahnemühle Museum Etching 350 gsm, Hahnemühle Photo Rag 500 gsm, just to name a few. The roll paper is a little lighter weight, I think 330 gsm, which isn't much heavier than the more standard 300-310 gsm.

Epson Hot and Cold pressed papers priced quite nicely, but I find the bright too bright and the natural too dark.

Brian A

Jason Thompson

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:29 am »

Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper 500 gsm and Epson Somerset Velvet 505 gsm

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:34:03 am »

Pikeys,

You don't say whether you are talking about colour or mono portraits or whether they are realistic or fine art or "creative".

I find that a couple of bog-standard papers meet most of my needs: Ilford Galerie Gold Mono Silk for Mono and Fotospeed Platinum Baryta for colour. But, for special effects I might, like others above, be tempted to use an archival matt fine art paper.

The R3000 is a great machine - especially for mono - and I think it pays to keep a range of papers and experiment freely. That's the main reason I print my own rather than using a (much less expensive) pro lab.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 05:51:32 am »

Pikeys,

You don't say whether you are talking about colour or mono portraits or whether they are realistic or fine art or "creative".

I find that a couple of bog-standard papers meet most of my needs: Ilford Galerie Gold Mono Silk for Mono and Fotospeed Platinum Baryta for colour. But, for special effects I might, like others above, be tempted to use an archival matt fine art paper.

The R3000 is a great machine - especially for mono - and I think it pays to keep a range of papers and experiment freely. That's the main reason I print my own rather than using a (much less expensive) pro lab.

This for color,realistic shots,mostly Thai women in silk dresses..many reflections,stage lighting
If possible,I'd like to stay with photo black ink.but,some of the suggestions for matte papers look very interesting.
I've been using Ilford Gold Fiber Silk for the past few years, with good results.,but now,seems to be getting hard to get,so,I may switch back to the canson baryta photographique

TNX-Mike

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:55:29 am by pikeys »

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »

I use Epson Cold Press Natural for most of my portraits.  Tried the Hot Press, but prefer the texture of the Cold Press. 

My biggest problem with Cold Press Natural is that the sheets are sometimes curled in the box, and it is difficult to get rid of the curl.  The result, of course, is head strikes as the paper passes through my Epson 3880.  In any event, I prefer Hot Press Natural for color and Museo Portfolio Rag for B&W.  MPR is really gorgeous for portraiture.

Rob

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:58:21 pm »

But, for special effects I might, like others above, be tempted to use an archival matt fine art paper.

I prefer the papers like Cold Press Natural for just about any portrait, including and especially for classic portraiture. I did a 20x24 on CPN of this image and the depth, tone and colour are incredible.  I'm actually considering dropping the lustre type papers all together.
Mike Guilbault

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:17 pm »

I prefer the papers like Cold Press Natural for just about any portrait, including and especially for classic portraiture. I did a 20x24 on CPN of this image and the depth, tone and colour are incredible.  I'm actually considering dropping the lustre type papers all tog

Nice shot Mike,almost looks real,like you want to reach out and touch it.
So,I take it ,you don't have any issues with this paper,as mentioned above..too bright/dark,paper bending..etc.
I have a box ,coming in from Epson,will give it a try.

Mike

PharmGeek

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:45 pm »

My R3000 is on order as we speak and I'm new to printing on fine art papers - sample pack from epson with these mentioned on way - also epson premium luster and illford smooth pearl (or something like that in some 5x7's)

So no favorites established yet :)

So many papers to investigate as I read this forum :)

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:12 pm »

The web image doesn't even come close to the actual print (never does!)  The Natural version of the Cold Press paper is slightly warmer in tone and not as bright as the Bright version and I like it, nay, prefer it that way. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for portraits.... and my clients seem to agree! ;)
Mike Guilbault

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:22 am »

The web image doesn't even come close to the actual print (never does!)  The Natural version of the Cold Press paper is slightly warmer in tone and not as bright as the Bright version and I like it, nay, prefer it that way. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for portraits.... and my clients seem to agree

Thanks Mike,
Yes,I prefer a slightly warmer paper on some of my people shots ,as well.
I'll post back after I give the paper a few days,testing.

MikeS

hugowolf

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:03 pm »

The web image doesn't even come close to the actual print (never does!)  The Natural version of the Cold Press paper is slightly warmer in tone and not as bright as the Bright version and I like it, nay, prefer it that way. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for portraits.... and my clients seem to agree

Thanks Mike,
Yes,I prefer a slightly warmer paper on some of my people shots ,as well.
I'll post back after I give the paper a few days,testing.

Personally, in the cold pressed range, the best paper on the market is BFK Rives. It has been a traditional printing paper for maybe a hundred years or so(as Rives BFK). But it is much more expensive than the Epson Cold Press(ed) paper. While still natural (no OBAs) is is whiter than the Epson paper, and a more subtle texture. With the r3000 you are probably looking at 13" sheets, and it is then $2.56 per sq ft, compared to $1.63 for the Epson paper.

It is really only a viable alternative in larger sheets or rolls, but still $2.29 per sq ft in US Arch D (24 x 36 inches).

Brian A

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »

Personally, in the cold pressed range, the best paper on the market is BFK Rives. It has been a traditional printing paper for maybe a hundred years or so(as Rives BFK). But it is much more expensive than the Epson Cold Press(ed) paper. While still natural (no OBAs) is is whiter than the Epson paper, and a more subtle texture. With the r3000 you are probably looking at 13" sheets, and it is then $2.56 per sq ft, compared to $1.63 for the Epson paper.

It is really only a viable alternative in larger sheets or rolls, but still $2.29 per sq ft in US Arch D (24 x 36 inches).

Brian A

Brian,
Is there any real difference between the Rives paper,& the Etching Rag?
Would this be a paper,I should consider{etching rag?},or just go for the Rives?

hugowolf

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:44 pm »

Brian,
Is there any real difference between the Rives paper,& the Etching Rag?
Would this be a paper,I should consider{etching rag?},or just go for the Rives?

Hot pressed papers are passed through heated calendar rollers and are smoother than papers that are pressed through unheated rollers. Cold pressing rollers can be wrapped with fabric (cotton, linen), creating an even heavier texture.

Etching papers in general, are more heavily textured. BFK Rives would probably be best described as a velvet paper. And possibly isn’t described as such because St Cuthbert’s Somerset mill may have that term trade marked (conjecture, I don’t know for sure). The texture of BFK Rives is somewhere between Epson Cold(ed) Press and Epson Hot Press(ed) papers. Its surface is more similar to Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, which is another great paper, but only available in a lighter weight.

Most, if not all, the named ‘velvet’ papers, no matter what label they are sold under, come from the same source: St Cuthbert’s Mill in Somerset, England: http://www.stcuthbertsmill.com/

Epson Velvet Fine Art, Epson Somerset Velvet, Moab Enhanced Velvet, Canon Enhanced Velvet, they are all from the same paper mill.

Brian A

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:18 pm »

Hot pressed papers are passed through heated calendar rollers and are smoother than papers that are pressed through unheated rollers. Cold pressing rollers can be wrapped with fabric (cotton, linen), creating an even heavier texture.

Etching papers in general, are more heavily textured. BFK Rives would probably be best described as a velvet paper. And possibly isn’t described as such because St Cuthbert’s Somerset mill may have that term trade marked (conjecture, I don’t know for sure). The texture of BFK Rives is somewhere between Epson Cold(ed) Press and Epson Hot Press(ed) papers. Its surface is more similar to Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, which is another great paper, but only available in a lighter weight.

Most, if not all, the named ‘velvet’ papers, no matter what label they are sold under, come from the same source: St Cuthbert’s Mill in Somerset, England: http://www.stcuthbertsmill.com/

Epson Velvet Fine Art, Epson Somerset Velvet, Moab Enhanced Velvet, Canon Enhanced Velvet, they are all from the same paper mill.

Brian A

Wow,You've really done your homework!!
Many,Many thanks for this info
Another excellent post.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up