Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Now Charging for all zSeries Firmware Updates?  (Read 9697 times)

Roscolo

Re: HP Now Charging for all zSeries Firmware Updates?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

I also wonder what one would expect in firmware upgrades for the Z3100 model that is more than 7 years old now.
--

The reason companies make their firmware available is so their customers can update the equipment, usually addressing flaws discovered after the product's release. I have the latest firmware for my z3100. That's fine for me. But what if I, a paying customer who has paid thousands of dollars to HP,  had not updated the firmware when it was still free and just now saw an update from 2 years ago and wanted to install it? HP would expect me to pay over $700. To upgrade to a 2 year old firmware. Outrageous. HP, you made a fine machine in the z3100. You about lost me when you discontinued twin packs of ink. But HP and ANY company who expects customers to pay for firmware udpates to products one already purchased is telling us they do not need nor want our business. OK, HP. I hear ya. Loud and clear. After their problems the last few years, you would think HP couldn't find a way to make another huge bumble. Gotta hand it to 'em. When my z3100 dies, HP has sure enough found a way to guarantee she won't be replaced by another HP printer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:10:08 pm by Roscolo »

BrianWJH

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »

I can successfully download firmware updates from these links for the Z3100 and Z3200 24" & 44"

Hope this works.

Brian.

zippski

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:45 pm »

Well, that's kind of crazy.  Not sure if I should try this or not.  The paid firmware message and Yellow (!)  symbol is splashed right across the top of that link.

I'd hate to download this and find out my Z no longer works without paying HP $700.00.  I also noticed that my firmware version 7_0_0_3 was released in Jan 2009.  Version 7_0_0_5 was released in May 2009, and this version 7_0_0_7 appears to have been released in July 2009.   

I think that was the last firmware update ever released for the z3100 IIRC.  2009 - Sheesh, time flies. That's why it doesn't show Win7 compatibility, only Vista.  I know it works with either.

Leigh
zippski

BrianWJH

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 07:26:56 am »

Well, that's kind of crazy.  Not sure if I should try this or not.  The paid firmware message and Yellow (!)  symbol is splashed right across the top of that link.

Do you mean this: "Important note: HP ProLiant Server firmware access"?
The way I read this notice is for a HP server firmware update not the HP DesignJet printers firmware updates.

Brian.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 10:08:29 am »

Do you mean this: "Important note: HP ProLiant Server firmware access"?
The way I read this notice is for a HP server firmware update not the HP DesignJet printers firmware updates.

Brian.

I could not get to the firmware file of the Z3100 there. I could for the Z3200-PS. Both for Windows 7 64.

On the other hand if I select Vista 64 as the OS, the firmware upgrade for the Z3100 is available. So the warranty/serial number is not needed there. I guess it is just an HP web site (ab)normality.

With Vista 64 OS:
HP DesignJet Z3100 Photo Printer Series Firmware Upgrade   
7.0.0.3-7
17 Jun 2009

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.        

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

When it comes to updates to a Z3100, there is some related software that needs to be updated.

it is the famous HP Advanced Profiling Solution...

I bought it for about 800€.
After a few years the measuring device - a rebranded X-Rite  i1Display 2-  stopped working and from OSX 10.7 also the software is useless.
the latest version is the one i have- there is no support site other than a download site with non working software.
If anybody has a solution please let me know...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 03:53:56 am »

When it comes to updates to a Z3100, there is some related software that needs to be updated.

it is the famous HP Advanced Profiling Solution...

I bought it for about 800€.
After a few years the measuring device - a rebranded X-Rite  i1Display 2-  stopped working and from OSX 10.7 also the software is useless.
the latest version is the one i have- there is no support site other than a download site with non working software.
If anybody has a solution please let me know...

I have no real problems running APS from Vista 64 and W7 64. The Color Center profiling software integrated in Printer Utility gives more headaches on both OSses. As both Vista and W7 still have an XP extension I can run CC that way without issues. The HP Display puck is no longer used here but still serves as the dongle for APS. The new X-rite Display Pro is way better for monitor calibration. When I reported a problem with APS and the Z3200-PS + Vista 64 to HP Barcelona they replied that it was more or less in the hands of X-rite to update the software. They never did as far as I know. The problem is still there, you can not transfer the created profile automatically to the printer harddisc for distribution to more systems. You can save it to the system that builds the profiles and then bind it to the paper preset in paper preset management and then it will sync to the printer and the other systems. In practice I do not see a difference in profile quality between APS and CC when used on the Z3200. On the Z3100 the APS delivers a better profile than CC does on that machine.

So you might try to do it with an XP emulation or put a cheap PC with XP next to the Mac. Could run Qimage too. Profiles are synced to both systems too. XP is no longer supported next month but there is no need to use that system on the web. Over ten years I have seen much more complaints about outdated drivers with OS-X updates than with Windows updates. Dat is schrale troost, ik weet het.

--

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:52 am »

dank Ernst, i think i will use my old 10.6 system for the occasion i need new profiles.
I am in contact with X-rite, but do not expect a solution  from them.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:33 am »

dank Ernst, i think i will use my old 10.6 system for the occasion i need new profiles.
I am in contact with X-rite, but do not expect a solution  from them.

Yup - when it comes to corporate user-friendliness the combination of HP and X-Rite must be exponentially deadly.  :-)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:22 am »

Yup - when it comes to corporate user-friendliness the combination of HP and X-Rite must be exponentially deadly.  :-)

And one of them is more or less a monopolist. All the printer manufacturers that have a printer model with integrated spectrometer; Canon, Epson, HP work with X-Rite. Hardware at least.

-

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:08 am »

And one of them is more or less a monopolist. All the printer manufacturers that have a printer model with integrated spectrometer; Canon, Epson, HP work with X-Rite. Hardware at least.

-

Sure - a good part of X-Rite's corporate energy over the past decade or so has been devoted to creating that monopoly.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up