Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 headache  (Read 8540 times)

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
    • Color management, in french
Re: Epson 7900 headache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08:16 am »

Why do we have to suffer so much with these machines the moment they start to behave?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

No complaints here with my HP Z's, 7.5 and 5.5 years old. From a giant company that may be in a mess but at least the printers print and maintenance on them never delivered long threads. Parts available to the user. Of course I had to pop in several heads (about 15 now) for the 12 original ones. Replaced two belts following a precise instruction video made by another user and replaced a head carriage PCB following the free service manual. Two black ink channels are always available. No nervous nozzle check rituals in the morning, just print. And yes sometimes a print gets lost due to too much confidence in the machines. Canon has similar machines. The big difference is that thermal head nozzles are cheaper and the companies know the heads do not last for ever so the user should be able to replace them.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:22 am »

I agree it can be a mess, however if out of warranty you can get a lot done by watching the Video's that Eric created.  They are straight forward and easy to follow.  On the 7900 unless you lose the main board, it pretty much comes down to:

1.  Head replacement and realignment, the later being much harder and requires special software
2.  Damper replacement, again a lot of digging to get to them, and they are fragile but it can be done
3.  Wiper replacement, which is about a 10 second task and anyone can do it.

If you blow the main board, then I am not sure if it's worth a replacement since so much has to be reprogramed to the printer.

I referenced Eric's website in one of my previous posts. 

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dannybirchwood

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:37 am »

Hey

Just to give everyone a update. This is what has happened so far since.

Epson support only provide a fixed price fix which is £1200.00 thats to do anything even if they do not change a part. If i was not so worried about my printer I would have laughed at the conversation. I won't post it on here because its too long but if anyone wants a laugh let me know its actually unbelievable service in the UK. They will no sell me a print head, they have to come out in fact no parts are available here in the uk.

So we decided to remove the print head, clean it up as they was tons of ink over the bottom of it. Fitted it back into the printer and ran a normal cleaning cycle. Ran a print and guess what, prints perfect.

Next day re loaded a roll of cold press natural...... that was in the printer when it went wrong..... Guess what printing exactly the same as before what a mess. Quickly stopped the print ran a power cleaning cycle on all colours. Loaded some german etching paper ran a print and its perfect.

Epson paper has been the problem the whole time it cause a dirty print head that could not be cleaned no matter how many cleaning cycles.
even Epson support said it was head alignment.

So after a engineer call out ! Hours of trying to work this out it turns out to be a roll paper with a dodgy coating !!!! How annoyed !!! Compensation ??
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up